thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4116 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 25 of 38
03 August 2014 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reply, Torbyrne!
Like Mithrandir, I too am really looking forward to attending. Besides, knowing a general date (even if it's not confirmed yet) really helps in regards to budgeting. I'll keep my antennae up for updates! :D
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 26 of 38
03 August 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Torbyrne wrote:
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Once again asking against hope this will
actually ever happen (particularly because the last post in this thread happened almost
six months ago), but has there been ANY progress on organizing a polyglot gathering on
this continent? Brian has kept very quiet in regards to that, and no more information
has come up here or in other outlets.

I'm sure this line of reasoning has come up before and to a few people it will sound an
awful lot like I'm complaining, but I'd like to see this happen at least once on this
side of the Atlantic for one very good reason: those of us who live south of the US
border tend to earn a lot less than Europeans, and mobilizing to Europe, even for a
week, is an investment verging on the absurd. I don't know about other people, but at
least for me, the money required for attending Berlin 2015 would be more then two
months worth of my wages.

Since I've brought the topic up, I may be asked, "then why don't you organize
it?" Quite simply because 1) I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to start, and
2) given my country's reputation, I'm not sure about how many people would attend a
gathering in Mexico City (and I would understand people's hesitations).

So please, if this is never going to happen, just obliterate for once and for all the
few Latin American members' hopes of a Gathering happening somewhere they don't have to
sell a kidney to go to, and let us forget about it already.

Thanks for raising this. It woul dbe great to see many more people from the community
at an event in North America. Novi Sad was too good an offer for us to pass up as it
had the backing of the Serbian Government. Besides, Novi Sad is a beautiful city. We
have therefore put the North American Polyglot Conference back to October 2015. It
will be taking place then though. Exact date to be confirmed, but we've started
planning it already! NYC here we come! :)

Good to hear the government is supporting it. Do they want to promote foreign language
learning in Serbia?

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4841 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 27 of 38
04 August 2014 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Anyone know how the intercontinental attendance was at Budapest? I'm wondering if there might be enough people
like me who wouldn't be able to go to Novi Sad for something not work related, but would likely go to conferences
in North America. If so, we could have a North America and a Europe the same year. The drawback of course is that
some of the North Americans who did make it to Budapest might not have bothered if there were a closer option. I
guess it depends how much we value including everyone vs. getting as close as possible (read: not that close) to
everybody in one place at one time.

Edited by robarb on 04 August 2014 at 5:44am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 38
08 August 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I have seen that New York has now become the most likely North American location for a conference. Airfares from Europe to precisely NY are not exorbitant so that is not worrying me too much - I'm however slightly worried about hotel prices and the possibilities of finding a suitable venue. And the weather in October in that area might need some close scrutiny. But let's see what the people behind the event come up with.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 38
08 August 2014 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
October weather in the NYC area is usually fairly nice, not too hot and not really cold yet. There is only very rarely any major weather problem that would disrupt travel. Early autumn is probably the best time.

Although I don't live in the area now, I did for a long time and should be heading that way for a visit soon, I hope. I also have friends in the area who might be able to make suggestion for venues or other ideas.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4151 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 30 of 38
10 August 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm happy to hear that this might actually happen in North America. I haven't been to NY in awhile (only make it out that way a few times a year at best), but it's much more realistic to plan a trip there instead of to Europe. October is a pretty nice time of the year to visit.

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5877 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 31 of 38
18 February 2015 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
The Polyglot Conference in New York City will take place on 10th & 11th October 2015. Registrations will open soon on the website. At the moment it is still under contruction, but I will confirm as soon as we're ready to go on that.

For now...(the Facebook group) CALL FOR PRESENTATION PROPOSALS!

We invite you to submit proposals for presentations to be given at the 2015 Polyglot Conference NYC on October 10-11. Please submit to Richard Simcott (polyglotconference at gmail dot com) a talk summary of 200 words or less, plus information on your credentials relevant to the topic and what you would require in terms of technical setup. Any themes of interest to an audience of several hundred polyglots will be considered: research into polyglots/polyglottery, workplace applications of polyglot skills, language families or individual languages, linguistics, new learning technologies/techniques, New York-themed language talks, and so on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5877 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 32 of 38
30 March 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Registrations are now open for the Polyglot Conference in NYC.

You can SIGN UP now.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you there as possible!

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version