Should I study Mandarin? Advantages?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Cuperzingo23
United States
Joined 4132 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 1 of 6
07 June 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
So should a person go about beginning to study Mandarin? I studied Spanish in middle school for a year
and Italian for 2 years in high school. I now just finished my freshman year of college. I'm not sure if 3
years of romance language study will do any good with Mandarin.

What would be my first step in studying Mandarin? What are some advantages you personally seen from
studying Mandarin?

Edited by Fasulye on 28 June 2013 at 9:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 6
07 June 2013 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Well in practical terms, no, Romance languages you studied will not help you at all
with Mandarin.

Conceptually they COULD, but only if you understand some of the aspects of romance
languages which you could apply to understanding Mandarin grammar, like I have (so
far). However, this aspectual angle is rarely taught in schools, much less middle
school. You have to develop that instinct by yourself.

An example: you took two years of Italian. As you probably know, Italian has two verbs
that can mean "to be" (essere/stare); this is called "copula". Italian's copula usage
is very restricted, by far "essere" being the most used. Compare to Portuguese which
has a more even usage of both verbs, and Spanish which has the most complicated copula
usage (French has no "stare", like English and German is has only ONE copula verb).

In Italian 'essere' is used in most situations, but 'stare' when you are talking about
your current state, in other words, when you are "describing" yourself.

In Mandarin, there is a vague parallel to this concept, because you do not use "to be"
(MANDARIN: "shi") to say "I am well/sick/etc". You simply say "I well / I sick".
However it is very common to insert the word "hen" which normally means "very" on its
own. Thus "I very well / I very sick...", but when used with adjectives that describe
you, "hen" loses its meaning of "very".

If you think about it, "hen" has become almost like a copula such as "stare". If you
know how to use "stare" in Italian for describing your current state, you can
understand this concept in Mandarin.

Chinese however has gone much further the other way, in restricting the use of "to be".
So that many situations that in English, French, German, or Italian require "to be" ("I
am tall/I am in Italy), do not use "to be" in Chinese at all.

As far as studying Mandarin, I would start by learning the pronunciation and the tones
well. That is what I did, and I am reaping the rewards now because I have gotten
complements from three native Chinese teachers that my pronunciation is a pleasure to
hear, compared to the vast majority of westerners. I put in a lot of time into it, plus
I know the basics of phonology, IPA, and the anatomy of the mouth.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6248 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 6
07 June 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
I second outcast's advice, and recommend wordbook for learning pronunciation. It's helped me a lot.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4975 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 6
07 June 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
outcast, what do you mean with Spanish having a more complicated usage copula than Portuguese?

Hertz
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4322 days ago

47 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
14 June 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Your Spanish and Italian will not directly help you. I came from 1 year of Spanish and 2 of German. Chinese
uses very few loan words (proper names like 西雅图 [xi ya tu, "Seattle"] and 咖啡 [ka fei, "coffee"] come to
mind) and there are almost no cognates (words that are similar in both languages). There are some words of
Chinese origin you will recognize (tofu, bok choy).

Your best asset in tackling Chinese is knowing parts of speech and sentence building. Having studied two
languages you should know nouns from pronouns, verbs from adverbs, and the function of prepositional
phrases.

My recommendations:
1. Practice your characters constantly.

2. Say the sounds aloud as you write. It aids your memory.

3. Learn a few of the radicals at a time and keep learning more. Many characters are composed of radicals
and other characters; knowing what their names are can help you to remember them. For instance;
grammar is 语法. The first character is yu, means language. it is made of 讠,五, and 口, or "speak five
mouths." The second character is fa, 法 meaning law: 氵meaning water, 去 meaning "to go." Law,
represented in characters, is "the way water goes," that is, always by the same rules of gravity and flow.
Hence, "law." Put it together and you get grammar = "language rule."

讠 Appears commonly in words involving communication. 请 (to invite), 让 (to allow), 课 (lesson), 话 (talk), 说
(to speak). Knowing 讠 = speech will help remember the connection in those words. You will not absorb all
150+ radicals at once but you'll build a knowledge of them. I often remember words by recalling the names of
their parts. Line = 线, which is 纟 + 戋 (silk + narrow). Spicy = 辣, which is 辛 + 束 (hot + bundle).
4 persons have voted this message useful

cheers100
China
languageloverr.cnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4005 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 6 of 6
24 June 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Cuperzingo23 wrote:
So should a person go about beginning to study Mandarin? I studied Spanish in middle school for a year
and Italian for 2 years in high school. I now just finished my freshman year of college. I'm not sure if 3
years of romance language study will do any good with Mandarin.

What would be my first step in studying Mandarin? What are some advantages you personally seen from
studying Mandarin?

None. I am Chinese.

Chinese is a complete different language with Roman languages from writing, speaking, grammar. Few loanwords from Roman languages too.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version