Heptaglot
France
Joined 4420 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 9 of 27
12 June 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
I don't really use that many language sites, apart from this one, but I fully agree with Arekkusu and Solfrid Cristine. If you spend a lot of time and effort offering a service, then you are entitled to charge for it, and as a user, you are free to take it or leave it.

I have noticed that some people on the forum take an issue with the fact that non-paying members do not get access to all the features that pro members have. Personally I don't mind at all. The Administrator did a great job creating this site, and if he gets some financial gain out of it, then good for him.

I have not signed up as a pro member so far. Not because I would mind paying, but rather because I am not sure to what extent the additional features would give a lot of added value to my participating here. Now if someone can convince me that it is really worth it, I might get out my credit card...
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 27
12 June 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
I don't really use that many language sites, apart from this one, but I
fully agree with Arekkusu and Solfrid Cristine. If you spend a lot of time and effort
offering a service, then you are entitled to charge for it, and as a user, you are free
to take it or leave it.

I have noticed that some people on the forum take an issue with the fact that non-
paying members do not get access to all the features that pro members have. Personally
I don't mind at all. The Administrator did a great job creating this site, and if he
gets some financial gain out of it, then good for him.

I have not signed up as a pro member so far. Not because I would mind paying, but
rather because I am not sure to what extent the additional features would give a lot of
added value to my participating here. Now if someone can convince me that it is really
worth it, I might get out my credit card...

Well, after I converted my membership here from free to Pro, and started using the full
power of the search facilities (v. useful by the way), I happened to find the thread
where FX was talking about introducing charges for the first time (this was before my
time here). One of the reasons he introduced charges was to allow the further
development of the site (e.g. by software purchase/development or whatever).

There was a certain amount of negative reaction from some members (I don't know what
proportion), but anyway, as we know the change went ahead, and some members signed up
for it, but as far as I can tell, it's quite a small proportion of total membership.

Now, not so long after that time, FX began to spend less and less, and eventually no,
time posting on the site (although he may have still been reading it / checking it).
And as we know, in recent years, functionality has not been added, and bugs have not
been fixed (although the damage caused by the hacking incident was put right, at some
expense, I gather).

So one could argue that the premise on which the charging was introduced has not
resulted in the kind of positive development that people may have hoped for. I am not
saying FX introduced the charges under false pretences. It seems likely that
circumstances changed for him at around that time, and he simple wasn't able to give it
the attention needed whether he wanted to or not. Had he been here and responding to
feedback, he may have been prepared to try different approaches to charging, e.g. a
lower entry-level charge, or lower for students or something. But clearly that isn't on
the cards the way things are.

I have wondered if the reason the site hasn't been developed was that the takeup of Pro
membership was so disappointingly small, and the resulting income wouldn't support any
more development. That could be the case, but if so, I'm surprised FX didn't come back
with a slightly more "in your face" marketing campaign (which could have included
special offers), but I could find no evidence of that, looking back at his posts.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 27
12 June 2013 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
The Administrator did a great job creating this site, and if he gets some financial gain out of it, then good for him.

But this site would be nothing without us. I think it's very rude to say "you've been a member for 2414 days and made 5096 posts, time to upgrade?"
Time to acknowledge that without me there would be slightly less useful info, and without the top 10 posters this forum wouldn't be itself anymore.
12 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 27
12 June 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
I support the forum. I would also like to see our administrator tell us his plans for updating the forum and solving the many technical issues. At this point, without any word from FX, we are left hanging, not knowing when the next glitch, hack attack or technical problem will send this forum to the realm of former great sites and a 404 error.

One would have thought, after the last great outage, that FX would have addressed the community. Ideally, he would have acknowledged our concerns and put forward a plan to fix them, but he didn't. As broke as most HTLALer's are, I think a lot of members would contribute if they knew that their contribution would go towards maintaining and improving the forum. I'd be happy if he just came on and said, "Hey, I'm still here! I'm working on things but I need your support.", or something to that effect.

I don't know how old FX is but at some point, he may wish to divest himself of his interest in the forum. What happens then? What do we do if our administrator becomes incapacitated and physically unable to pay the bills? Is there a transition procedure in place? Do we go to the back-up site and build again from scratch? Do we lose all the database? Do we run the forum as a community? We'll have to pay for hosting, technical support and web design. Obviously, costs will be involved. The benefit that most of us get from being members is huge and I don't think it would be impolitic to ask for money, but people have to know that it will be put towards improving and maintaining the forum.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to FX for creating this site. I am also grateful to people like Serpent, who, though not pro-members, are the lifeblood of this forum. Without their content contributions the forum would not be much use.

Edited by iguanamon on 12 June 2013 at 11:49pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 27
13 June 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Don't get me wrong

I admit that I voted for you post because of the avatar.

I don't understand why he doesn't sell it. I would if I was in his shoes.

Speaking of profit, the site/free product that I think would most benefit from becoming pay only is Anki. Thoughts?

Edited by leosmith on 13 June 2013 at 1:07am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 14 of 27
13 June 2013 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

I don't understand why he doesn't sell it. I would if I was in his shoes.

FX could fetch anywhere from $14,000 to $38,000 if some of these online website value
calculators are any indication.

That's quite a spread, but at least one site I visited gave some interesting social
data, such as how many times HTLAL is mentioned on FB (a couple hundred times), tweeted
(none), LinkedIn (none), etc.

I don't know how it's calculated (ads, I suppose, since membership probably isn't taken
into consideration), but the highest estimate of monthly income from this site is $3510
a month.

R.
==

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 27
13 June 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
I totally understand why people want to turn a time consuming hobby into a cash cow.
But there are a few points where most of them fail, make a stupid mistake,
unnecessarily alienate people and earn much less than they could have earned had they
avoided the stupid mistakes.

1.The appropriate price. Sorry, I am not paiyng 40 dollars for one year membership on a
forum. But as I already said, I would gladly pay five dollars to keep the forum running
and perhaps many more than 8 times more people could afford to pay 5 dollars a year
than 40.

Another such example is Scritter. I have a crazy plan to start learning Chinese if I
finish my exams but I am not sure I can afford 14 dollars a month (=over 150 dollars a
year) as a student. Since I found it a few months ago, they even removed the option to
prepay for longer time for a reduced fee. So now, instead of knowing "It is a great
thing worth all the money", I'll be forced to consider whether there are really no
cheaper (even though worse) alternatives or how often to unsubscribe and resubscibe to
reduce the cost while not damaging my progress much. And I really wanted to gather and
give the 95 or so dollars for a year.

2.Another huge mistake is taking away something that was already free instead of
developing new and better paid content/tools. I think that is one of the thoughts
behing total destruction of Memrise. The old system, while nearly perfect for learning,
was worse chunkable for sell than the new one. And anytime people, even free users, are
being taken something they liked away from them, a lot of bad feelings arise. And
behaviour like "You didn't pay so don't you dare to open your filthy cheap mouth" isn't
going to help the business.

This is where Anki succeeds. A totally free basic system, you can try the srs, all the
tools for adding cards etc. You can even try the synchronisation as you can study
through the online interface. So I was happy to pay 24 euro for ipad app because I knew
I would use it. And I don't doubt there are many happy and paying users.

3.The main reason why I am not going to pay for LingQ and others with similar strategy:
There is not enough free content for me to really try it out. There are like 100 lingqs
for free. That tells me nothing, I have no trouble learning 100 words without any tool.
I need at least 500 or rather 1000 to start seeing a difference. Lingq would do better
to give people much more for free so they would get addicted and couldn't imagine their
further learning without lingq.

4.Too agressive "PAY US" marketing strategy. I foolishly gave my main email adress to
the Germanpod101. I hate that "pay us or you'll never really learn" blackmailing. I
wanted to get the basic paid membership for summer, when I have time to fully use it.
Now I am reconsidering as I don't want the company to think this is he way to go.

5.False promises. Any kind of paid service that was not worth the money makes the
target public and market less willing to experiment with their money next time.
7 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 16 of 27
13 June 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I happened to visit FI3M recently, and found an article by Benny that explained
his approach. He said he'd actually removed the front-page advertising from his
site in response to feedback from site users/members. He still sells or advertises
products via his site, but you have to go and look for them. I must say that I respect
this approach.

He also said that because of the very high traffic, maintaining the web-hosting at the
appropriate level was expensive, and he needed to make money just to keep it going.
(I'm not sure if he also makes a living out of it, on top of that).

I think this is just the situation that FX was in when he began charging, and one can
sympathise. But for whatever reason, he became less active on the site, and (as far as
development of the site was concerned) there became a bit of a downward spiral. If
people were seeing no improvements being made, they'd be less inclined to pay,
therefore less money coming in for development, etc.

Now at the moment, and maybe for the forseeable future, languages and "language-
hacking" are Benny's passion, what he seems to live for, but one can imagine that that
might change if he wants to "settle down" one day. And he might then not be able to be
so active on his site, and he also might either need to be a bit more agressively
commercial (to pay the bills), or give it far less attention in order to make his
living elsewhere (what seems to have happened with FX).

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version