United States
Joined 5065 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 11
13 June 2013 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Hey all,

The class I was planning on taking next school year got cancelled, so I have a random spot to fill, and I've decided to take Latin or Greek. I have no real preference and they were both on my hit list anyway. I know language selection is highly personal and their are good reasons for both language, I was just curious if people had any good things to say about either language that might sway me.

Cody

Edited by Fasulye on 19 June 2013 at 11:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4167 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 11
13 June 2013 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
It depends on your interests I guess, but if you have no real preference I'd say Latin. Chances are you will find it easier than Greek.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4698 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 11
13 June 2013 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Latin. It's much more manageable.

I'm working on Greek on my own right now, and the sheer amount of tenses, cases, and
moods is overwhelming. I am taking it nice and slow and at my own pace. I think I would
hate Greek passionately if I had to memorize all these charts for an exam.

Edited by kanewai on 13 June 2013 at 7:54am

5 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5217 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 4 of 11
13 June 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
If you planned to study both, this may not matter but what really made push my Latin studies further than my Ancient Greek was the enormous amount of medieval, Renaissance and modern Latin works.
5 persons have voted this message useful

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5065 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 5 of 11
13 June 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
I really appreciate the answers, everyone. Thank you.

Cody

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4264 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 6 of 11
13 June 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I would give the opposite advice. Because Greek is more difficult, it makes sense to me (who teach Greek and Latin
at the college level) to take it in a class setting with someone who can walk you through the difficult parts. It will be
a much greater challenge to teach yourself Greek than it would to teach yourself Latin. Also, there will be plenty of
grammatical overlap between the two, so learning Greek first gets the more difficult task out of the way and makes
the next task easier.

akkadboy wrote:
If you planned to study both, this may not matter but what really made push my Latin studies
further than my Ancient Greek was the enormous amount of medieval, Renaissance and modern Latin works.

To be fair, there is also an enormous number of Greek works written throughout the Byzantine period and after.
You could spend your whole life reading post-classical Greek and never run out of things to read.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5037 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 7 of 11
13 June 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Γρηγόρη� wrote:
To be fair, there is also an enormous number of Greek works written throughout the Byzantine period and after. You could spend your whole life reading post-classical Greek and never run out of things to read.

Is the situation analogous? There are differences between Medieval Latin and Classic Latin, but if you learn the latter you can understand the former without any trouble. Is that the same situation with different ages of Greek? If you learn Koine or Ancient, will Medieval Greek be similarly accessible?

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4053 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 8 of 11
13 June 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
The problem is what do you wish to read? In most cases you'll find Greek easier and
from a Classicists pov its much easier to get competent Greek readers and scholars than
Latinists. Latin syntax alone can be a bitch in most cases, let alone the wider
literary problems. Generally, its ideal to start with Greek.

People get confused by the language in the grammar books, morphological endings and
whatnot are always the easy bit. You have to view the language in action. Don't be put
off by that, just allot enough time to it, and actually distinctive moods ktl are a
blessing.

That being said the support materials for Latin on a non academic level are much more
widespread, whereas I'm seriously having trouble thinking of good treatments of Greek
lexicography, semantics, syntaxis and stylistics outside of the big hitters.

Either way pick one and stick to it, remember to review frequently and choose your
early battles wisely. You're not going to jump from Wheelock's to Senecan Tragedy or
Athenaze to middle Attic comic fragments.

ScottScheule wrote:

Is the situation analogous? There are differences between Medieval Latin and Classic
Latin, but if you learn the latter you can understand the former without any trouble.
Is that the same situation with different ages of Greek? If you learn Koine or Ancient,
will Medieval Greek be similarly accessible?

Yes due to Atticising tendencies, though one can spot "mistakes" where the vernacular
has slipped through. Not to mention the influence of the bible and hagiography. What
vernacular literature we have from the middle ages is much coddled due to its
usefulness for linguistics.

Edited by Lykeio on 13 June 2013 at 5:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version