13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 13
14 June 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, B1.
I don't think it's fair to compare the numbers between independent study and the classroom. When you are the sole person responsible for your learning, you have your full attention and no time is wasted on what you already know/understand.

OP, see this wiki article. It's both about shadowing (repeating simultaneously with the speaker) and mastering Assimil with the help of it. Tailor it to your needs and feel free to skip some steps.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 13
14 June 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I rarely ever shadow Assimil except in the beginning to master the pronunciation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 13
14 June 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I agree that Assimil New French with Ease will get most people to A2, and a few rare people to B1, especially if supplemented with easy native media and Skype exchanges.

Assimil's Using French is useful in the B1–B2 range. But realistically, it's just not enough on its own. The DELF B2 exam, for example, requires lots of things you can't really get from a course: you need enough vocabulary to muddle through some pretty random subjects, and you need to be able to speak fairly comfortably. To build these skills, it helps to read the newspaper, watch TV, carry on real conversations with people, and practice writing.

The most advanced Assimil course is probably Business French. There are lots of very fast conversations and plenty of writing exercises. If you actually did the whole course, got the writing exercises corrected on lang-8, and did some regular conversation sessions, you could probably come pretty close to B2. You maybe wouldn't have the range needed for B2, but as long as you were dealing with business topics, you'd be able to fake it. And there's actually a special, business-only DELF exam, the DELF B2 Pro.

Still, the real purpose of Assimil is to act as a booster rocket. The goal is to carry you past the initial incomprehension, to give you a basic intuition for the language, and to get you conversational. When you're done, you should actually be able to communicate in French and muddle through written materials. The linguist John H. McWhorter wrote an amusing review of Assimil's beginner courses which matches my personal experience pretty closely:

Quote:
I did the German one a long time ago, and when I got to Germany and had finished explaining to a waitress that I didn't want onions in my salad because they might make me throw up, a guy told me "You speak German better than anyone I've ever known who has only been here a week." Or, after I did the Hebrew one, an Israeli said "Hey, you can actually talk!"

Both of these faintly hedged compliments were right on the nose. Fluent? Of course not, nothing can get you there short of speaking the language all day for months. But at least I could converse sparklingly with toddlers, while faking it well with everybody else, instead of quietly hoping somebody would ask me what kind of silverware my aunt had.

Good luck with your project!
6 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 12 of 13
14 June 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
I would say it can get you to a B1 passive. When I was done with it, I had a pretty good level of understanding, enough to watch a lot of native YouTube videos and listen to a good number of radio shows while getting the broad strokes of everything, but certainly not every last detail. I'd also recommend you use native media alongside at the same time you are working through it.

As far as active skill goes, that will be more up to you. I'd recommend looking on Verbling and SharedTalk for native conversation partners. There are lots of francophones out there who want to learn English. :-)

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4532 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 13 of 13
15 June 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure it differs by language, but I know Assimil Chinese backwards and forwards, and
when I got to that point, there's no way my level was higher than A2. My listening level
is up around the B1 level now, but I've been working with another course and have started
some subs2srs work since then. It was a great course, and gave me a good foundation for
moving on, but there were still a few holes, especially in vocab, that needed to be
filled for a passive B1 level.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version