Canada
youtube.com/user/m32Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5430 days ago

53 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Turkish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 18
14 June 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I was so proud to be part of the polyglot conference that took place in Budapest. There
was a really special polyglot there who speaks more than 30 languages. Luca insisted
that
we make an interview with him after the conference to show the world his amazing
language
skills. In this incredible video a lot of polyglots interview him in 15 languages. This
video is a milestone because it shows for the first time a hyperpolglot interscting
with
people in many different foreign languages. I think this is more evidence that
suggests
that people like mezzafonti really did exist.

Interview with Emanuele in 15
languages

Это действительно впечатляющее видео. Настоятельно рекомендую всем посмотреть :-)
Enjoy!

Edited by m32amir on 14 June 2013 at 8:22pm

16 persons have voted this message useful

langluv
United States
twitter.com/ladyling
Joined 5664 days ago

24 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 2 of 18
15 June 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Thanks! Here is another video from that day of Emanuele speaking with many other polyglots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJMPJa2Aoo

Edited by langluv on 15 June 2013 at 12:49am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 18
15 June 2013 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
I counted Albanian, Czech, Dutch, English, Farsi, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Macedonian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, and Turkish during those 2 clips linked above, and Sprachprofi also mentioned that he spoke French at the Conference too. Simply astounding!! I'd certainly like to learn more about his learning strategies, and look forward to hearing more about this impressive polyglot in the future. Thanks for sharing the link, Amir. :)

Here's a short article about Emanuele Marini in the Italian newspaper Il Giorno:

Ecco il re dei poliglotti "Parlo trentatrè lingue Latino compreso"

The article reports that he knows 30 modern languages in addition to his native Italian (Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Finnish, French, Greek, English, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Dutch, Norwegian, Farsi/Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, German, Turkish, Hungarian, and Ukrainian), as well as Latin, and Classical Greek and Hebrew. Emanuele particularly stresses the importance of daily practice and thinking in each target language, which I also believe are key components to success.

And here's another video of him speaking fluently in Polish, where he discusses his learning methodology a little further:

Hyperpolyglot Emanuele Marini interviewed in Polish by Michal Grzeskowiak

In this short interview with Michal Grzeskowiak, Emanuele explains that he follows an analytical approach to language learning, where he focuses on writing and structure to understand how the language works, learning everything off by heart and translating both ways. He also mentions that he carries a pocket dictionary around with him so that he can quickly reference any words he realises he doesn't know, and endeavours to speak only in the language of the country he's visiting whilst travelling. He suggests focusing primarily on motivation and practicing as often as possible (e.g. emails, Skype, online chat, conversations, travel), and regards methodology as a secondary concern which should align with your own personal preferences and style.

Edited by Teango on 15 June 2013 at 3:15am

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 18
15 June 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Da, e o minune!

(Yes, he's a miracle!)

He speaks most of his languages very well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4639 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 18
15 June 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Of course it's impressive and I don't want to downgrade his achievements, but... Quotation: "I am employed in the field of expert and customer service". Plus: "I have a lot of friends there", "I have a couple of friends here in Budapest", "my motivation are first of all my friends living in Poland", "I have some friends in the Netherlands", "I have friends in Kumanovo, Skopje and Ohrid" Damn, if I had so many friends eager to speak their native languages to me...! It's kinda surprising that he points the analytic learning method so much since with such number of friends you don't really have to have a serious method :D Nevertheless, if I wouldn't have trouble with "memorize the whole book" + wouldn't suffer the "F*ck, I can't concentrate!" sickness, I would be probably halfway to his numbers and levels.

P.S. "I didn't learn it at all. Only through Serbian language, a little bit with the grammar of Koneski and so..." - ROTFL! I've died instantly :D I have to show it my Macedonian teacher...

Edited by prz_ on 15 June 2013 at 1:08pm

Maralol
Nonaglot
France
Joined 4798 days ago

35 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, French*, English, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Polish, Danish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 18
15 June 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
"Marini ha un talento: imparare le lingue in un batter d'occhio. "Me ne sono accorto in
una trasferta in Polonia a 18 anni. Mi è bastato leggere una grammatica per parlare
polacco fluentemente"

Journalists trying to overdo it or do you actually think it's an actual claim?
I doubt that you can speak Polish fluently in a week after reading a grammar book.

He does seem conversational in many languages though, kudos!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4624 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 7 of 18
15 June 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I counted Albanian, Czech, Dutch, English, Farsi, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Macedonian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, and Turkish during those 2 clips linked above

Well, he doesn't speak Icelandic. The other guy tries to talk to him in Icelandic, but Emanuele answers in Swedish, saying: "Unfortunately, I don't speak Icelandic". Nevertheless, a very impressive polyglot!

drfeelgood17
Bilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6229 days ago

98 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Japanese, Latin, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 18
15 June 2013 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
In that article from Il Giorno, Marini made an obvious but important point regarding his language learning goals: 'Non cerco la perfezione, fare errori è una parte essenziale nell'imparare qualsiasi lingua.' (I don't aim for perfection, making mistakes is part and parcel of learning any language).
Too many language learners get fixated on unrealistic goals (achieving native-speaker accent, too much worrying about mistakes in grammar etc...).

Edited by drfeelgood17 on 15 June 2013 at 2:01pm

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version