United States
Joined 5344 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 1 of 3
15 June 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, I know it's been a while!

Long story made short: I have one year left in college until I graduate. I was originally going for my minor in Spanish, because being bilingual will help me in the real world of course, and I love the language. It will be impossible to finish my degree (Aerospace Engineering) and my minor because I'll have too many credits.

What tests can I take to be certified fluent in a language for work? (like a B2 or C1 exam etc.)

I think this will be more important than a minor, because most of the people I know with degree certification can't speak or use it very well.

Jordan
1 person has voted this message useful

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6731 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 2 of 3
17 June 2013 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I believe the test you are thinking of is the DELE, offered by the Cervantes Institute in
Spain. The test is given three times a year at testing centers worldwide.

Past written tests and answer keys are available on the Cervantes Institute's website.
The Institute also offers an online assessment so that you can figure out which level
might best suit you, based on your passive skills.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 3 of 3
17 June 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
The OPI (oral proficiency interview) is another option which might be more interesting to
employers in the United States. As I understand, this is often used by the US government
in addition to their own tests to make sure their language analysts are properly skilled.

It's ACTFL, which is like the American version of CEFR (A1, A2, B1, etc.). Spanish seems
to have a dearth of good language exams for what's the most studied language in the US.

Edited by nonneb on 17 June 2013 at 7:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version