22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 22
18 June 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
As for taking classes in the language, chances are you'd have to prove your level before the summer and not after, which gives you less time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 22
18 June 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Just to throw an example to what tarvos said, I teach a small group of engineers who are learning German and they specialize in aircraft galleys.

Would it be possible to look for a specialization first, and then decide on the language? Have you tried engineering journals and magazines? It might be useful to try to research where the various markets are located.

Jarel
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4086 days ago

57 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 11 of 22
20 June 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Germany is a heaven for engineers; it's an engineering society. In my time spent there, German culture made me feel that the country is there for engineers and artists; and rest of the people are there to serve them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 12 of 22
20 June 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Jarel wrote:
German culture made me feel that the country is there for engineers and
artists; and rest of the people are there to serve them.

I agree with you completely on the engineer vibe, but I kind of feel like we may have
been in different countries pertaining to their view on artists.

OP, I would say Italian would be a slightly easier language to learn: more shared
vocab, some people find the grammar easier than German grammar, but the difference
won't be gigantic (like with Japanese) I wouldn't base my decision on that. Like
someone else said, watch a few German and Italian films or TV shows with subtitles,
read a few books from the respective countries (in English), and see what culture
appeals to you more and what language sounds nicer to you. Learning the language to
work in engineering is a great goal, but you'll probably need more than that to become
proficient (it will at least make it a lot easier).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Logpile98
United States
N/ARegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3943 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 22
20 June 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Really, I love both cultures, but I will check them out more and see which one I like better. Really, I'm not
leaning towards one or the other, but Japanese is about out of the picture because that culture doesn't appeal
to me as much as Germany or Italy. If I don't make up my mind, it just might come down to which one fits in
my schedule better haha.

Jarel
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4086 days ago

57 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 14 of 22
21 June 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
nonneb wrote:
Jarel wrote:
German culture made me feel that the country is there for engineers and

I agree with you completely on the engineer vibe, but I kind of feel like we may have

I checked the dictionary and i used to wrong word indeed; what i had in mind was "designer".

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 22
21 June 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Jarel wrote:
nonneb wrote:
Jarel wrote:
German culture made me feel that the
country is there for engineers and

I checked the dictionary and i used to wrong word indeed; what i had in mind was
"designer".

And to slightly complicate the picture, there is a sub-branch of engineering known as
"design engineering".

To the OP, I'd say that yes, it might indeed come down to basic practicalities
like which one can be made to fit your schedule, etc, but in any case, I'd say before
committing yourself, it would be good to get in some sampling of each language, to help
find out what best appeals. If it all works out, you are going to be living with that
language for a fair time.

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4951 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 16 of 22
22 June 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
My advice is that you keep investigating the overseas engineering programs available and choose the one that you find most appealing from a technical perspective. It's pretty common for 3rd and 4th year engineering courses overseas to be taught in English or at the very least use an English language textbook, so you won't need much proficiency in another language to succeed. Of course, once you settle upon a country/university, then by all means do learn the language so that you can have a fulfilling life experience outside of the engineering classroom or lab.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version