Joined 5312 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 48
28 June 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
According to the rules of the forum I can't just copy this guide verbatim to a Wiki, and I simply can't see myself rewriting the whole thing once again - so right now I'll stay on the sideline. Maybe later..

Your Guide is mentioned prominently on the How to Start Learning a Language page. There should be links to each of the chapters. If you want to edit the page to correct links or add more information, please feel welcome.

As for copyright issues, first, a disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. Furthermore, I am not familiar with Swiss law.

That said, here's what the official sign-up notice says about copyright. (There's a similar message in the rules.)

Quote:
If you do post content or submit material you grant how-to-learn-any-language.com and its affiliates a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media. You grant how-to-learn-any-language.com the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such content. You represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content that you post; that the content is accurate; that use of the content you supply does not violate this policy and will not cause injury to any person or entity; and that you will indemnify how-to-learn-any-language.com or its affiliates for all claims resulting from content you supply. how-to-learn-any-language.com has the right but not the obligation to monitor and edit or remove any activity or content. How-to-learn-any-language.com takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content posted by you or any third party.

In plain English, this very roughly means: "The administrator has the right to republish anything you post here, possibly using your name. You guarantee that you own the content you post, and that it doesn't hurt anybody. If somebody starts legal action over what you post, all the consequences are yours. We may monitor, edit or delete the things you post, but then again, we might not. In any case, we don't take any responsibility for anything that anyone posts." You can find similar messages on many forums and social networks. But you'll notice that nothing here prevents you from reposting your own work.

The only other message I'm aware of appears on the bottom of this site:

Quote:
Copyright 2013 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.

What does this mean? To the best of my knowledge:

1. Our administrator has copyright over much the "official" site text (except that provided by Web Wiz Forums, which wrote the original forum software). He's very clear that nobody is allowed to make copies of this. The same goes for his personal posts.

2. Our administrator doesn't have any copyright over my personal posts, because he neither wrote them, nor paid me to write them, nor convinced me to sign an explicit copyright assignment. This is basic copyright law, although the exact details vary from country to country.

3. As far as I'm concerned, I certainly own my own writing. I've chosen to give our administrator a very broad license to reproduce it as he wishes. But as it mentions in the legalese, this is a "nonexclusive" right, which means that I retain the right to publish the same words elsewhere under another license.

So, in practice, this means that I feel free to adapt my posts for use on the wiki. If anybody else wants to adapt one of my posts, just send me a PM and ask; I generally say yes. Or you can just quote a small excerpt and link to the original post, which is permitted by the "fair use" rules of my country.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 35 of 48
29 June 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
we have a glossary
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 36 of 48
29 June 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Yes, Who is Who category is definitely planned.
There is a dictionary of the abreaviations somewhere on the forums but not that easy to find, true.

Erenko, thanks a lot for the feedback. It is very useful and welcome.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 48
29 June 2013 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
Another list would be useful probably. Who is who? I mean some forum personalities whose posts are not so ephemeral as almost all of the posts.

Iversen,
who else?
If you essentially want the best posts, get a premium account. Warning: all votes count, even by people who write "ephemeral" posts.

Cavesa, I think it would be the best to limit Who is Who to non-members (or those who have accounts but don't participate nowadays, such as Prof Arguelles or Benny). Otherwise there's the problem of who counts as notable. And if someone manages to read a few threads without finding any posts by Iversen, they won't find the wikia either.

It definitely makes sense to include a link to the Members page, though (sorted by number of posts).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4789 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 38 of 48
29 June 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Of course there is no reason to put there current members (probably with exception for Iversen). Sorry if it sounded unclear, I never meant to make a list of forum members, it would feel just weird.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 40 of 48
29 June 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
As much as I admire Iversen, I don't think we should make an exception. He's also never referred to by anything other than his username. But more importantly his posts are not hard to find at all.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version