19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
DevonAero
United States
Joined 3963 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 19
18 June 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Alright guys I need some opinions. I'm planning a trip to Brazil next year for the World
Cup and want to be conversational in Brazilian Portuguese. Now, from what I know.
Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish are quite similar.

However, I don't want to pause my Spanish studies, because I'll fall too far behind. Also
I'm a complete beginner if it helps. So would it be counter-productive to learn both at
the same time?
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4730 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 19
18 June 2013 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
In this case yes, I'm afraid to say. But then if you are really really good at compartmentalizing perhaps not.

But usually being a beginner in Spanish AND Portuguese is not a good mix. Your brain will not be able to separate the two because it has no frame of reference to do so (that being, either one language or the other is so ingrained in you that your mind can tell the difference mostly automatically).

Remember starting to speak a new language consumes more than enough brain power: learning and using the grammar correctly, getting the pronunciation right, using the Germane vocabulary, the correct preposition, the appropriate articles, the pertinent verb endings, the suitable tenses... Your mind will be spinning just on all that, now add a very closely related language and to be honest you are asking for failure.

ALL THAT SAID... YOU HAVE TIME! You can learn either language to a good enough level in a year that this interference won't conspire anymore against you. What I would do is learn Spanish now and HARD, give it you all, for about 6-8 months. If you really really work hard, you can be at a B1 level and that's the point where learning a related language starts to become not so dangerous anymore.

Focus on Spanish from now till early next year... then hit Portuguese next year and ride it all the way to your trip to Brazil, which will set you up nicely for some great immersion which will consolidate your fresh new language. You won't need as much time learning Portuguese because you will get a huge discount from your Spanish grammar and vocabulary knowledge (it would be the same the other way around), so you won't need to study nearly as much, it will seem just like reviewing Spanish except for a few but important differences which you can focus on. The other thing you would focus on then is pronunciation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 19
18 June 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Passive skills don't cause interference, in my experience. Start Portuguese now, but don't try to speak it, just learn to understand. Watch football online in Portuguese, that's how I learned most of my Spanish ;) Listen to music, on youtube and lyricstraining. Don't think of your trip just yet. Do A LOT of listening. When your Spanish is better, start learning to speak and write in Portuguese.

Alternatively, take a break from Spanish. Portuguese will keep it alive in your brain so it won't be that hard to pick back up what you've learned by now. It makes a huge difference whether you stop language learning altogether or focus on a different language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 19
18 June 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
The only way to know is to find out.

It never bothers me personally.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 19
18 June 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
It depends on which level your Spanish already is. If you have an intermediate level in Spanish, you could start with Portuguese as well. But if your Spanish is still on some kind of beginner level, there is a big risk that will mix up both languages.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 June 2013 at 10:16am

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6141 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 6 of 19
18 June 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Even if you mix them up though it probably isn't a big deal since it's my understanding brazilian people are
used to "portuñol"

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 7 of 19
18 June 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Is it a good idea to learn both Spanish and Portuguese at the same time, as a complete beginner? In a word, no. The World Cup is a year from now! In that time your Spanish could be at a high level that would be quite useful for you. Then, you could get a really good phrasebook and start studying it a month or so before you go to Brazil. You could leverage your knowledge of Spanish to advance quite quickly in Portuguese and be able to communicate on a basic level. I'd recommend the book "Como dizer tudo em espanhol".

Of course this is dependent upon you reaching a high level of Spanish in the next 11 months. Which is totally doable. DevonAero, didn't you just ask about reaching B-1 in Spanish in three months? That is a majorly ambitious plan in itself for your first second language. It's not impossible but it would take all of your concentration and effort. You can forget that if you're going to try to learn Portuguese at the same time. Kiss it goodbye. So why not just stick to your original plan? Ratchet down your excitement over learning both. Portuguese isn't going anywhere. Portuguese will still be there after you reach a high level in Spanish, provided that you really give Spanish your best shot with no digressions and focus on achieving your goal. Either that or just quit Spanish and switch to Portuguese right now. You can pick back up on Spanish later. My best advice is to buckle down on one language and leverage that one towards the other.

Edited by iguanamon on 18 June 2013 at 3:33pm

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4730 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 8 of 19
18 June 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
anime wrote:
Even if you mix them up though it probably isn't a big deal since it's my understanding brazilian people are
used to "portuñol"

That is true, but I guess the question is does the OP just want to have conversations or learn the languages properly? If it's the former fine, if it's the latter, there is no language called "portuñol".

That's why in my response I didn't say it was impossible, since some people swear that they can learn two very close languages from zero and not have interference. I never have had interference in any of my languages except for some odd "oui" when speaking German or "ja" when speaking French :o, but never actually mixed words. And since I natively speak Spanish, I never have interference with Portuguese. The only "interference" is not overt but that which is typical to all learners: native language "calque" of phrases or patterns into the language you are learning instead of using patterns of the target language. That is technically interference, not at the vocabulary level.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version