Is it wise to learn 2 languages at 1 time

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4084 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 17 of 19
19 June 2013 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
I think any amount of languages is probably fine. If one treats languages as a school
subject, one must remember that in primary and secondary school one learnt maths,
history, (own language), government, chemistry, physics, etc. all in one day. So I
think one can learn even four or five simultaneously. It would be like a full day at
school, however it may take years to get to C1/C2 level this way.

In secondary school I studied Portuguese and Spanish in addition to French. In Spanish
class, I regularly made mistakes by substituting <vocĂȘ> for <usted> and using
Portuguese pronunciations when the teacher asked me to read out loud an exercise or
something. But other than this trivial confusion, I think most can learn
simultaneously.

I currently study Portuguese, Dutch, and Italian. It takes me longer than if I were
studying one language consecutively, but I think it also helps to freshen my mind by
learning simultaneously.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 19
19 June 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Have fun, that helps with quite everything. Keeping the motivation, learning better because of the easy focus etc.

No worries about the forum getting tired. There have been people with many more and much stupider questions :-) (I sometimes suspect myself of belonging in that group).
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 19 of 19
19 June 2013 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
DevonAero wrote:
...I'm still gonna need a lot of help though, so I hope
the forum doesn't get tired of seeing me.

We won't get tired of seeing you. All who learn languages and are sincere are welcome here. The insincere eventually wear out their welcome and leave of their own accord or get sent packing by the mods.

You should consider starting a log. That way you can get help along the way in close to real time. The more depth you go into in your log, the more readers you will have. Logs that just say: "Did unit 1 of FSI and the first CD of Michael Thomas, tomorrow I'll go back over unit 1 of FSI" tend not to generate much excitement. If you write something with a little more personality and go into some detail, explaining your approach, your hopes, your fears, your doubts, your take on a method, your back-story, your log will be more popular. The more popular your log is the more readers you will have and that means more people who can step in to help you. It also helps to hold yourself publicly accountable.

Edited by iguanamon on 24 June 2013 at 2:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version