Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 1 of 10
19 June 2013 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
I have just read http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Improving_Your_Accent which is a really nice base to expand and with which to tackle this uneasy subject. Thanks to the author.

But there is something that bothers me and I don't know how to approach it well so that I could just reorganize and expand the thing.

I believe the author mixes together pronunciation and accent too much. As I believe and as I have read in some threads, the pronunciation is only one part of the accent. Those two are very commonly mixed together and that is a trouble and therefore I believe the distinction should be more clear.

The core of the trouble is that many beginners discuss accent (and often end up with "you can't get the accent unless you move to the country") while their real trouble is basic pronunciation (and they sometimes don't really try to learn it properly because "they cannot learn the accent anyways"). I think our wikia would be a good place to try to put some order into this.

Accent does include more things and some of them are pretty advanced stuff as even people with C1/C2 skills who live in the country have a different accent.

So, would anyone know how to tackle this? Or do you think I am wrong? I am really unsure when it comes to that particular page.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4214 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 2 of 10
19 June 2013 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
I agree that pronunciation is only a part of the accent. If you have time you should watch this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJyTA4VlZus

She's talking about speaking English with a foreign accent, but i think it applies to actually learning foreign
languages too. Basically she breaks the accent down into pronunciation, intonation/melody, rhythm/stress,
grammar/word meaning, and the "vibe". I think the first three categories apply to learning the accent of a foreign
language. All three were mentioned on the wiki page, but I agree that it's a little unclear. Maybe all we have to do is
break the page into three sections and separate the points accordingly?

And we should definitely discuss whether you have to move to the country to get the accent. I think you could learn
it yourself with some focused listening and practice. (i guess that's shadowing).
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 3 of 10
19 June 2013 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
I am sure there are already threads about this which should have links on the wiki page. The video looks really good, another nice link.

Breaking the page into parts looks like a good solution even though I am still uncertain about where to start and how to break it the best.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 10
19 June 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Accent is always relative to a point of reference; pronunciation is absolute.

If you pronounce an s in a particular way, you could say you have no accent when surrounded by people who say it in the same way. Move to a different country, and suddenly, you have an accent. Or else you could stay there, learn another language, use the same s, and you'd have an accent. Since there is no absolute point of reference, every speaker has a particular accent.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 5 of 10
19 June 2013 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu, would you please be willing to look at the page and perhaps bring something to it? I can think of noone better.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 6 of 10
19 June 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Arekkusu, would you please be willing to look at the page and perhaps bring something to it? I can think of noone better.

I (and others like Sprachprofi) answered some very interesting questions on Quora.com directly related to pronunciation and accents (some asked by David Mansaray, inter alia) -- the answers provided there could be valuable if you don't mind linking to another site of that nature.

I'll see if there's anything else I can add.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4214 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 7 of 10
19 June 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Would it be ok if i try to break it into sections? Anyone can reverse the changes later/move things around/add stuff
if they don't like it.

EDIT: went ahead and did it - i hope that's ok. like i said, feel free to change it back or fill it in or something.

Edited by Emily96 on 20 June 2013 at 12:28am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 8 of 10
20 June 2013 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I made significant changes to the wording in the Pronunciation section, if anyone cares
to double-check.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version