Tags: Living abroad
 Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 9 of 12
19 June 2013 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Sorry, I created yet another mistake but clicking quote again. I was trying to edit
post 5, but I cannot delete it now. So post 7 is what post 5 should have been. I did this
with post 2 as well..

Another poster told me to consider Skype to
practise language speaking skills, but I think this excentuates my inepetitude with
regards to computers and technology..

Edited by 1e4e6 on 19 June 2013 at 5:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 10 of 12
19 June 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

If you have this kind of trouble with your French and want to improve it by living in the country, than Québec probably isn't the best choice. In a bilingual country, you won't be forced to use it and everyone will surely know English, which isn't still true about France.

Mind you, opinions in Quebec about languages are so polarised that there are probably many people who expect or even demand that you use French if you choose to live there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 11 of 12
22 June 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
The focussing on a Scandinavian language is quite interesting, I had never considered
that. I still wish to continue with the other ones however (and the C2 Spanish eventually
as in the other post), but perhaps I could also focus more intensely on a Scandinavian
one as well.

Today I noticed that Denmark do not allow dual citizenshi except in certain
circumstances. Norway, as well as not being in the EU, do not allow dual citizenship,
even though I had always like being there. Thereform Sweden and Finland remain, so
Swedish probably is one on which to focus.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 June 2013 at 5:55am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
22 June 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Swedish is certainly useful in Finland (and my plan is to learn it better than most Finns do :P), but the situation is very different from, say, Canada. It'll be impossible to adapt properly without learning Finnish and jusy by relying on Swedish and English.
(the Åland islands are an exception)

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version