HudaMd
United Arab Emirates
Joined 3987 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical)*

Message 1 of 12
19 June 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Hello everybody ,

I am so happy to join this forum, I hope everybody is fine and doing well with their learning :) ..

Actually I need your help guys, and I really appreciate any advice ..

I am a Medical doctor, 26 year old and I want to continue my medical training in Germany ! I need to pass B2 level
in 5-6 months, is that possible ? ( I really hope that ) .. I need also to gain a very good fluency ..

Can you help me please, how can I achieve that ?
What about this plan

( Michel thomas + pimsleur ) then ( FSI + Assimil ) ? is that Doable in 5-6 months , and can I pass B2 exam with
these courses ? I will study 7-8 hours / day ..

Thank you very much in advance :) :)

Edited by HudaMd on 19 June 2013 at 3:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 12
19 June 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I would pick at most 2 of these courses and just read and listen to lots of German
material. Yes, it's possible because you will be studying German practically full-time.

HudaMd
United Arab Emirates
Joined 3987 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical)*

Message 3 of 12
19 June 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Tarvos for the reply ..

What 2 courses do you recommend ?

How far Michel thomas can take me ? up to which level ?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 12
19 June 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I haven't used MT myself. I recommend Assimil and one other, but it personally doesn't
really matter which. I would use either MT or FSI.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 12
19 June 2013 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Are you a native Arabic speaker? If so, German may be feel less "familiar" than it would to a native English speaker. If you read a really large amount in English, this might not matter. But I find that familiarity matters a lot—as an English speaker, I found French quite familiar, but ancient Egyptian has proven much harder, because the grammar and the vocabulary has no relation to either of the languages I speak.

This doesn't mean that it would be impossible for you to reach B2 in 5 or 6 months of full-time study. But you might need to work very hard. In addition to one or two good courses, it would be a good idea to (1) find a Skype tutor who's familiar with the B2 exam you hope to pass and (2) fill every free moment of your life with as much German as possible.

As for courses, you might enjoy the new Frequently Recommended Courses article on our wiki. It's still a work in progress, but it compares and contrasts several of the courses you're considering. By themselves, however, neither Assimil, Pimsleur or Michael Thomas will take you much beyond A2 or maybe B1. And getting from B1 to B2 may take almost as long as takes to reach each of A1, A2 and B1 combined. The FSI French Basic course covers grammar through about B2, so it might be worth looking at the FSI German course as well—but you're going to need more than just a course or two to reach B2.

One last piece of advice, and I hope you don't take this too personally: Your English contains lots of capitalization mistakes and a couple of basic grammar errors. I don't know what the German CEFR exams are like, but if they're anything like the French exams, these kinds of mistakes will cost you real points on a B2 exam. You'll most likely score better if you pay careful attention to these details, and practice writing things as correctly as possible.

Good luck with your studies!
3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4698 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 12
19 June 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I can't imagine reaching a solid B-2 without a lot of immersion - is there any way you
can spend a month or two in Germany while you study?

I haven't started German myself, but keep a list of courses to watch out for for when I
do start. You have:

Pimsleur: Four levels. 45 hours of audio total. (Level IV will be released Dec
13). This is expensive, but if you can get an audible.com account you can bring the
cost down to $70 per level.

Michel Thomas: Three levels.

FSI: FAST and Basic Courses available on-line.

Assimil: Two levels available.

The Goethe Institut estimates that an English speaker can reach C1 in German in 600 to
750 hours, so it's theoretically possible to do this in five to six months. But,
yikes!

For perspective: I've done most of the courses above in Spanish and French, although
over the course of two years, and have traveled a fair amount in Latin America and read
an awful lot in French ... and still wouldn't put myself past B-1 in either language.

You'll need to eat breathe and sleep German, I think, to achieve B-2 that quickly. If
you're up for it, go for it!

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4178 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 7 of 12
20 June 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
It's probably possible, but you will mostly be doing it full-time. Part of language proficiency is having a great amount of exposure, and 5-6 months just isn't that much time in the long run. There's also always the chance that you can "pass" a B2 level exam and not "really" be at a B2 level. If you're able to work with a tutor who has experience in preparing learners for the exam you're taking, that would probably be your best situation.

Jarel
Diglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4135 days ago

57 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 8 of 12
20 June 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
deutsche welle's Deutsch? Warum Nicht; is a very good course with 4 levels for complete beginners. I know it is available not only in English but many languages. I found it more helpful then Michel Thomas. ( I love MT style; but two students in this course have horrible horrible learning capacity and pronunciation )

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version