youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5293 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 1 of 7
24 June 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Hello there,

I am currently tutoring an American living in California who wants to learn Spanish and is writing (in English) a series of works of literary fiction concerning Latin America. I am trying to find a course that we could either use together in class or that he could use on his own time and I would assist him in the journey. I am looking for a course that would be attainable either by buying it (here in the States) or borrowing from a library, that would be suitable for somebody at an almost pure beginner level, and that would focus not on Spain Spanish but on any variety of Latin American Spanish (Mexican etc), i.e. with audio not recorded in Spain, teaching ustedes instead of vosotros/ustedes, etcetera. What are some options that fit this? Thanks in advance :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5197 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 7
24 June 2013 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I recommend Living Language's Ultimate Spanish Beginner-Intermediate
It is readily available in many libraries and is relatively inexpensive. The audio quality is extremely good and of a very neutral Latin American style... to me it sounds like a very clear Bogota accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5293 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 3 of 7
24 June 2013 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Thank you! A course with Mexican voice actors would be ideal (given the place this guy is living in), but Bogotá Spanish could very well do. Looking forward to other people's suggestions, too :)

(Does the Living Language course include a textbook plus audio cds?)

Edited by getreallanguage on 24 June 2013 at 1:56am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5687 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 4 of 7
24 June 2013 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Yep, it includes a book with the accompanying audio CDs.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5197 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 5 of 7
25 June 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Yes... and it has lots of notes about local culture and things. It is a cool course. I did not do the beginner one, but I did the Beyond the Basics one and have done the dialogues of the Ultimate Advanced version. I don't know for certain that it is a Bogota accent. It is the very neutral Latin American Spanish you hear on dubbing of US TV shows so maybe it is "American Spanish."

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5197 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 6 of 7
25 June 2013 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
You may also want to take a look at Cajas de Carton.

It is an autobiography about a seven year old boy who crosses the border into California with his family illegally so his father can find work. It is a collection of short stories about things that happened in his childhood and it is quite touching. The Spanish is at a fairly basic level and there is an audiobook too with a very nice narrator... with a very noticeable Mexican accent. I got the audiobook from my local library. It is about 3.5 hours in total. There is also an English translation called "The Circuit" that matches the Spanish translation pretty closely and can be used for L-R.

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4372 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 7
25 June 2013 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I remember several different types of Latin American Spanish on Beyond the Basics and
Ultimate Advanced, as well as a Peninsular speaker or 2 here and there. Although most
accents were fairly neutral, they weren't totally lacking in regional features. I
especially remember one man that sounded Argentinian or maybe Uruguayan, and not a bit
neutral (though very comprehensible.) And LL doesn't completely neglect Peninsular
usage, although it focuses less on it. It does cover vosotros, etc. I imagine the
Ultimate Beginner-Intermediate probably shares these features.

For your purpose (purely Latin American audio courses, well-suited for absolute
beginners) I guess I'd have to recommend Pimsleur Spanish Comprehensive: Latin American
and Learning Spanish Like Crazy. They are both expensive (especially Pimsleur,) but can
be found in libraries (again, especially Pimsleur.) Pimsleur has a few speakers that
are definitely Mexican, although speaking a fairly neutral Mexican Spanish. These are
both audio-only, though.

If you're certain that your student is dedicated, motivated and, though a beginner, up
for a bit of a challenge, then it's FSI Spanish Basic (or Platiquemos, the same thing
but remastered and slightly altered) hands-down. This isn't technically strictly Latin
American, but they only introduce 1 occasionally used Spaniard and get into a
brief overview of vosotros in the 4th unit. It's more strictly LA than Living Language
and much more Mexican.

EDIT: On rereading the above, I realize that it gives the impression that I don't think
LL's Ultimate Beginner-Intermediate is a viable option for your purpose. Which isn't
true, I think it likely is. The fact that it has a book while LSLC and Pimsleur don't
is definitely a point in its favor. I just wanted to provide more information and a few
alternatives. But my strongest recommendation is FSI/Platiquemos (which include lots of
text as well,) if you think he's up for it. If you don't already know much about FSI,
there are tons of threads about it here.

Edited by Gala on 25 June 2013 at 2:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version