33 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5386 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 25 of 33
28 June 2013 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Quote:
unlike English this ending is applied even to things, abstract entities and whole phrases

I thought, yes, you can! The man I saw yesterday crossing the street's behavoiour was outragious, where the 's makes the whole phrase "The man ... street" a possessive, is a valid sentence in English, isn't it?

Edited by Cabaire on 28 June 2013 at 2:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 26 of 33
28 June 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Dutch has lost its genitive in the same manner that
the Scandinavian languages have. You can use a genitival phrase to sound poetic,
archaic, or to avoid repeating "van" which is the usual construction for genitives and
possessives. Dutch can even revert to a garpegenitiv.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish have certainly not lost their genitival -s, and
unlike English this ending is applied even to things, abstract entities and whole
phrases (which has lead some grammarians to dispute that it could be a case ending at
all - but who cares?). And we don't have a Nordic alternative to Dutch "van", so the
future of -s seems bright.

Yeah to me that is a possessive suffix, but we do have the 's in some circumstances,
especially place and proper names. (Peter's boek, Jan's boek).

However for you the -s is the productive construction, whereas for us it's only for
people and animals, else a construction with "van" is preferred.

Edited by tarvos on 28 June 2013 at 10:01am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 33
28 June 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
unlike English this ending is applied even to things, abstract entities and whole phrases

I thought, yes, you can! The man I saw yesterday crossing the street's behavoiour was outragious, where the 's makes the whole phrase "The man ... street" a possessive, is a valid sentence in English, isn't it?

Well, I would call it a borderline case. But you are right, in English it is actually allowed to attach a genitival -s to a whole phrase. For instance I would (as a non-native speaker) accept it in for instance "Peter, Paul and Mary's old songs". However I have also learnt to prefer "of" with dead or abstract entities, but I see examples like "Situated in the south-central part of North West England, Manchester is England's third biggest city" all the time, so who(m) should I believe?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 28 of 33
28 June 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
unlike English this ending is applied even to
things, abstract entities and whole phrases

I thought, yes, you can! The man I saw yesterday crossing the street's behavoiour
was outragious
, where the 's makes the whole phrase "The man ... street" a
possessive, is a valid sentence in English, isn't it?

Well, I would call it a borderline case. But you are right, in English it is actually
allowed to attach a genitival -s to a whole phrase. For instance I would (as a non-
native speaker) accept it in for instance "Peter, Paul and Mary's old songs". However I
have also learnt to prefer "of" with dead or abstract entities, but I see examples like
"Situated in the south-central part of North West England, Manchester is
England's third biggest
city" all the time, so who(m) should I believe?

Iversen,

To me, that 's in your Manchester sentence doesn't apply to a phrase, but simply the
word Manchester, so it's just a perfectly normal sentence, although I think some people
wouldn't like that long dangling phrase, but that's probably a style issue more than
anything.

But I would not like to write Cabaire's sentence, although I might say it in
conversation.

There are some odd situations where I have to stop and think. If I want to talk about a
house where I live with my wife, I might start to say (or to think)

"My wife and I....", but of course I can't say "I's"...it's just that politeness
normally forces us into phrases like "my wife and I" (instead of "me and my wife", but
then I stop and realise it's:

"My wife's and my house...".

(just possibly: "My wife and my house..." but that just sounds wrong to me, if I have
time to think about it).

But if I lived in a ghastly menage a quatre with Peter, Paul, and Mary, I might start
to say

"Peter, Paul, Mary and my house...", but that wouldn't sound quite right so should it
be:

"Peter's, Paul's, Mary's and my house...", but that would sound horrible, so I would
probably compromise on
"Peter, Paul, Mary's and my house", and that's really the same as your P,P,M example I
think.

I'd have to look at each case individually I think (because I don't really know any
rule), but in writing, generally if you find yourself applying 's to a very long
phrase, it could probably be better written another way.

A bit like George Orwell and his so-called "rules", ignore all the above if by
following them, the result would be something barbaric.

EDIT: Oops - I meant that the apostrophe-s applies to the word "England" (and not to
the rest of the phrase), Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by montmorency on 29 June 2013 at 3:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 29 of 33
28 June 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Dutch has lost its genitive in the same manner that
the Scandinavian languages have. You can use a genitival phrase to sound poetic,
archaic, or to avoid repeating "van" which is the usual construction for genitives and
possessives. Dutch can even revert to a garpegenitiv.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish have certainly not lost their genitival -s, and
unlike English this ending is applied even to things, abstract entities and whole
phrases (which has lead some grammarians to dispute that it could be a case ending at
all - but who cares?). And we don't have a Nordic alternative to Dutch "van", so the
future of -s seems bright.

hm....again, I can't give a rule, but some things and entities could take apostrophe-
s....

...the car's headlight
...the government's predicament...

...while others might sound odd:

"....the window of the house..." rather than "the house's window".

".....the crux of the matter.." rather than "...the matter's crux"
(but that's a set phrase or cliché).

Phrases, I am much less sure about (see other post), at least in the formal written
language.

[the danger faced in modern written English is the spurious apostrophe-s (where no
possessive/genitive is intended) - I almost did it myself somewhere above, but
corrected it - and I see it all the time now, even from "educated" sources. Perhaps in
a few years' time, such usage will be deemed "correct"].

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 30 of 33
28 June 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
darkwhispersdal wrote:
Old English has four cases that I know of (Nom, Acc, Gen, Dat).

There are some remnants of an instrumental case in Old English as well.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4843 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 31 of 33
28 June 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
darkwhispersdal wrote:
Old English has four cases that I know of (Nom,
Acc, Gen, Dat).

There are some remnants of an instrumental case in Old English as well.

Personal pronouns had it.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 32 of 33
28 June 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:

this sentence doesn't sound right to me. Very cumbersome.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version