17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 17
26 June 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
as for Anki, there's also the option of rescheduling all your cards. or even better, reset most and reschedule just a small amount at a time.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4698 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 17
26 June 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Liberate yourself and delete all your Anki decks!

And I'm only half kidding. I think the concept of Anki is brilliant, but the few times I
tried it I found that I was becoming a slave to my deck, and spending more time tweaking
it, and inputting information, and correcting errors, than in actually studying with it.
And though it was great while it lasted, it got fugly once I fell behind.

Regardless of that, welcome back! I missed seeing your posts. And I think breaks are a
useful and integral part of any learning process. Like others have said, re-start doing
something fun. Something you want to do rather than something you think you ought
to do.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 17
26 June 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
That is why I have bestowed upon Anki the function of "only use when a beginner in a
language". It's useful for building that initial vocabulary when you don't know how to
get through the language. Once I can converse comfortably I drop Anki like a rock.

In your case, Cristina, I think consistent output and practice will do the trick, you
know how to learn languages :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6487 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 12 of 17
26 June 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
I'm also slowly coming back to language learning after taking a break of like 7 months. I
found that returning to Interpals and writing some e-mails to people returned some of my
interest as it gave me a feeling of being able to *do* something with my language
(Ukrainian). It also made me realize that not all was lost, that I *could* still use it.
Another thing that helped was starting a new language (Bulgarian), which I am studying in
an altogether different manner from how I've previously done things.

Oh, and as someone else said, deleting Anki cards or entire decks. Also helped.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 17
26 June 2013 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Wow. I am starting to feel like the prodigal daughter. That story suddenly made so much more sense to me.
You guys managed to bring tears into my eyes - of joy, not of sadness. Thank you all of you from the bottom
of my heart for the warm welcome.

I will have to focus on Russian as I need to get up to speed really fast, and I have forgotten so much. The
idea of deleting some of the words actually makes a lot of sense. I guess when you can say that you do not
need to review the word in a year, you know it so well that you do not need it there anymore at all.

To my immense chagrin, my pattern with Russian seems to be to go five steps forward, and four, five or six
back. When people ask me how long I have been learning Russian I cringe, since I feel like I have been
doing it for years, and still am getting nowhere. I have started listening to some CDs, and am talking to myself
in Russian while I am working in the garden. If anyone hears me they'll think I am crazy, but my neighbors
think I'm crazy anyway, so that is no problem. After seeing me washing my largest rhododendron with a brush
and seeing me flat on the ground after getting my own wheel barrow in the head, I think their mind is made up
anyway. A little muttering in Russian would not make much difference :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4448 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 14 of 17
26 June 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Velkommen tilbake, Cristina. Du har vært savnet, men ser du har hatt gode grunner til å konsentrere deg om andre, viktigere ting.

Don't worry too much about how to get into the flow again. From time to time I have been there myself, although my reasons have been much more trivial for failing to keep up with my language studies as planned. And I have had that very same feeling as regards Russian: if I've been too busy/demotivated/lazy to study seriously for a few weeks, I return with a feeling that I have forgotten half of what I have learned. However, once I put in some hours on a regular basis, after a couple of weeks I feel I am back in the game and advancing again.

My advice is along the lines of others here: try to do things you find enjoyable with the language, listen to a lot of audio, work on short texts about topics you are interested in, watch TV programmes etc. Try to get a lot of input whenever you have the time, and when you feel like it and have the opportunity, write and talk in Russian (talking to yourself is a good idea, never mind the neighbours).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 17
26 June 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Also, trying out something new can be a good idea! Maybe GLOSS?

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6468 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 16 of 17
26 June 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm the one who voted for tricoteuse's post.

I would strongly encourage you to communicate in your target language. I have been writing to a Spanish "language buddy" I had lost contact with (all my fault), and I now find myself thinking in Spanish and even dreaming in Spanish. He and I used to write long letters in Spanish (he speaks not a word of English) and now I find my Spanish becoming progressively less rusty.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version