United States
Joined 4558 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 17
26 June 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
@Jazzy, do the libraries in your area carry DVDs? My city's library has a wide selection
of DVDs, although because so many people have checked them out they often get scratched
up.

I believe that you can watch PBS (the American Public Broadcasting Service) in other
countries, and they do have closed captions (subtitles). Unfortunately most of the
programs are documentaries- the only fictional show I'm aware of is a British import.

You could also check ebay or similar sites. I've been able to get very cheap dvds of
series that are not so old that way.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jazzy1979
France
Joined 4002 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Studies: English

Message 10 of 17
26 June 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
osoymar wrote:
@Jazzy, do the libraries in your area carry DVDs? My city's library has a wide selection
of DVDs, although because so many people have checked them out they often get scratched
up.

I believe that you can watch PBS (the American Public Broadcasting Service) in other
countries, and they do have closed captions (subtitles). Unfortunately most of the
programs are documentaries- the only fictional show I'm aware of is a British import.

You could also check ebay or similar sites. I've been able to get very cheap dvds of
series that are not so old that way.

Oh yes great idea .
Time for me to renew my library card , there are a lot old dvds there .

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4537 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 11 of 17
26 June 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
You might also sign up for Netflix or something like that, if it's available in your country. They usually have subtitles!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6731 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 17
26 June 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that the subtitles for whatever reason often don't match up perfectly with what's being said. I'm not sure why that is, though.

Native language subtitles usually don't match unless they're called "hard of hearing" or something like that. If I activate the Swedish teletext subs on any TV program, they rarely match the audio word for word, but still make it easier for the viewer to follow what's going on.

The subtitles shouldn't be displayed too long and at the same time, they should cover most of the information, hence the "mismatch". According to the Swedish wiki, it is said that countries with a weaker subtitling tradition are more eager to include everything, resulting in more time spent on reading the subtitles.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4831 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 17
27 June 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Netflix is american only. The French have the Amazon service, something like lovefilm or whatever.

Actually I am really surprised the OP is French, it is one of the few european countries where people do have great access to foreign culture, where there is no discrimination by delivery fees etc. and probably where public libraries can afford to have wide selection of dvds because the parasite protectors don't try to strip them naked for lending those.

Jazzy, there are many options for you, I'm sure you'll have no trouble once you look around.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4650 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 17
27 June 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Also, don't totally give up on the listening option (you said you liked listening to
motivational speakers).

But perhaps try to vary the input. Perhaps listen to debates, interviews, maybe drama
or comedy. Anything to vary the vocabulary and perhaps to some extent, the accent and
manner of speaking. You should be able to find a lot of material online which is
legally free. It's just a question of finding something which will capture your
interest over longish periods.

And if you want to record streaming audio on your computer, give the free Audacity
software a try. (Audacity can also slow down speech without changing the pitch, in case
that might be useful).

2 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4432 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 15 of 17
27 June 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if they would have the types of shows you want but if you don't mind a Canadian accent, the CBC has video on line of a number of shows. You can click on CC to get the captions in English.

I can't say if they're all available to watch outside of Canada, however.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/

Jazzy1979
France
Joined 4002 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Studies: English

Message 16 of 17
27 June 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Because i am only discovering the learning language world , prior to that i wasn't aware of all the material available on the internet or on my libraries , i was learning on my own . I think i am gonna sign up to the amazon service (lovefilm) , because the Netflix stuff doesn't work here .

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version