ericblair
United States
Joined 4533 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 16
18 September 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
I think learners of Dutch learn mainly from native materials by the time they are C1. You
have to take the training wheels off eventually. I think your best bet by then would be
to dive into reading/watching/listening/speaking with Dutch natives and native media.
Just look up any unknown vocab or ask what it means at that point.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4529 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 16
18 September 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I ordered Intermediate Dutch Grammar from Amazon today,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0415774446/ref=s9_simh_gw _p14_d0_i1?
pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-
2&pf_rd_r=0SYF8FVR1GKN6H8152TX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=418448347 &pf_rd_i=468294

so I shall use that. I am not sure what level exactly whereto it corresponds on the
CEFR scale, but it looks like a good level whereon to solidify. I think I might buy the
Donaldson book for my birthday since it costs more, at £35. Both look very interesting
to me.

I did Klare Taal months ago and just finished reviewing with DutchGrammar.com, which
helped to clarify many things that confused me. I read the Word Order section thrice
just to make sure I do not mess up so badly with it agsin (or at least not as
frequently). What are good audio resources to complement these books?

Also does anyone know what learners of Dutch use for C1 and C2? I am definitely not to
be
there for a long time, but I was just curious, for the future.

They just speak, man. If they are C1 or C2 they can use native materials. Those tend to
be people that live here and have integrated in our society, and form a long-term part
of the community.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4381 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 11 of 16
18 September 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
They just speak, man. If they are C1 or C2 they can use native materials. Those tend to be people that live here and have integrated in our society, and form a long-term part of the community.

They do, and no grammar books are necessary once you start nearing the top of the scale--on that I completely agree.

Still, there is a place for those advanced level materials too, I think. For example, some of the books we used in English class in high school had a strong focus on things like writing, idiomatic expressions and phrasal verbs, and common mistakes made by native Finnish speakers. I was already fluent by that point, so the classes were mostly boring for me, but going over these things in a systematic fashion was nevertheless quite useful, as it exposed many of the little inaccuracies that remained in my English and solidified some things that were still a bit fuzzy to me.

I should say, however, that it's a good idea to spend some time using the language and enjoying native speaker materials before even considering these advanced materials. It's both more fun and more beneficial.

Edited by sans-serif on 18 September 2013 at 3:50pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4529 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 16
18 September 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
But Dutch doesn't have a lot of those materials.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4381 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 13 of 16
18 September 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
But Dutch doesn't have a lot of those materials.

That's a shame then. I guess we can only hope that someone will come by and name the few worthwhile ones that do exist.

I've been on the lookout for books targeted to advanced Swedish learners recently, and those are not easy to find either. Thankfully, at least a couple promising titles have turned up in my searches, mostly thanks to Emme, who pointed me in the right direction. The takeaway for me has been that good resources can be lurking out there, just under the radar, unknown to almost everyone but the handful of community colleges using these books. It's just a matter of finding them.

Edited by sans-serif on 18 September 2013 at 7:14pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4112 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 14 of 16
19 September 2013 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Even until the last year of secondary school I had "English" class, which was more
focussed on composition and idiomatic expressions than grammar (although in secondary
school I actually still had grammar lessons, but covering probably the last topics before
one stops altogether studying grammar), as I suppose above it was said how in Finland
they do it. It would be nice to know any of those Dutch equivalent books. My guess is
that such a book would be a guide on writing composition and dissertation-style
guidelines to writing, for Dutch secondary school (and/or university) students.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 19 September 2013 at 4:22am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5669 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 16
21 September 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
I have a pocket grammar book from the Netherlands written in Dutch:

Prisma Taalbeheersing - Grammatica Nederlands, Vijftiende druk 2010

ISBN 978 90 274 9685 0

Very good is the list of irregular Dutch verbs and Dutch grammar terms with their Latin equivalents. Perhaps you know that grammar terms in Dutch can be very tricky.

Have a look on www.prisma.nl, if you are interested.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 21 September 2013 at 7:18pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4529 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 16 of 16
21 September 2013 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
They're not tricky - they're just translated into Germanic equivalents for some reason.
The same occurs with mathematical terms.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version