Triglot
Israel
Joined 5281 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Russian*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 5
26 June 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I wonder, why it is so difficult to understand English movies ( i.a. serials).

For example : there are about 800 unique words in a serial. I didn't know about 20 (I've actually made measurements).
So ratio is 2.5% . Nevertheless I understand a serial very badly.

Something different when I watch a lecture from coursera.org. The same ratio of unknown words, but I understand it completely.

Edited by albertly on 26 June 2013 at 5:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 5
26 June 2013 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
A lecturer is usually one person who speaks with only one purpose on mind: to be understood. The awesome content of his lecture will be worthless if his/her public doesn't get to it through the form, too much unusual vocabulary for the particular public, a too notable speech impediment and so on. Or if he speaks so fast that he loses the listeners early on and they spend the rest of the lecture trying to catch on, often without success. A good lecturer knows all that and acts (speaks) accordingly.

In movies, you get a lot of actors playing a lot of characters, both have their personal characteristics including the way they speak. And that gives a colourful mix and tons of combinations. And the speech includes more colloquial language and is much closer to the usual speed than the lecture is. So it is harder at the beginning for many people as it is much more of a mess than a lecture, an audiobook or a videoblog on youtube.

TV series are similar to the movies but you have one advantage. You can get used to a smaller amount of people (and one central theme like crime solving or exploring the universe or gossiping) and spend much more time with them. During the time, you are very likely to get used to the English "by itself", as you no longer get confused by a new crowd of speakers every 100 minutes or so of watching. Than the next series will be much easier to get used to.

What helps me: large amounts of tv series that are fun for me so that I keep my attention easily. Even a few episodes make a difference. One season makes a world of difference! It's like reading the first few books, speaking with the first few natives etc.

By the way, where did you find the numbers? Do you have a source (did you count?) or is it your estimate?

Edited by Cavesa on 26 June 2013 at 6:22pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

albertly
Triglot
Israel
Joined 5281 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Russian*
Studies: English

Message 3 of 5
26 June 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

By the way, where did you find the numbers? Do you have a source (did you count?) or is it your estimate?

I've got exact count.
Recently, I've found a very useful and free of charge web site: http://wordsfromtext.com .
This site is somehow underestimated and not well-known among language learning public. Maybe because it's mostly oriented to russian speaking audience.
However, it does exactly what I always wished.
You load your text : it can be a file or url link or just copy/paste.
It counts unique words and you mark what you know. It remembers words that you marked previously and allows to make "bulk marks" with "shift key" - so it goes really fast.

By the way to memorize words I use - Anki.

Hope it helps

Edited by albertly on 26 June 2013 at 8:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 5
26 June 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion, one of the problems might be that actors in movies and some TV series
don't speak as clearly as they used to.

It might be a fashion, it might be an attempt to sound more like "real life", it may be
that actors are trained differently nowadays, or perhaps they aren't trained as well.

I think that in sitcoms, the speech is usually clearer. The humour is often verbal, and
US comedy shows employ vast teams of joke-writers, so they aren't going to want you to
miss their best gags.

Have you tried watching comedy shows? If so, was it any better?

Edited by montmorency on 26 June 2013 at 9:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4064 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 5
26 June 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
I watch tv shows and movies in English all the time, namely Hannibal and Game of Thrones nowadays, and I don't have much problems understanding the speech, other than Mads Mikkelsen due to his Danish accent (underarticulation=DANISH ALERT). You just have to watch, watch and watch without subtitles because that really engages you into listening to what they're saying, paying attention to how they're saying the things and eventually learning to listen to English.

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version