danielhonline.cRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3961 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: French, German, Russian, Norwegian

Message 1 of 5
27 June 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Hi,
Does anybody know what level the GCSE German exam corresponds to on the CEFR scale? I am
kind of ignorant about the British school system, but from what I gather (partially from
watching British reality TV), the GCSE is a series of subject exams for people leaving
secondary school. So then, what level is the A-Level German exam?

The reason being I want to know is because online,I found many German GCSE vocab lists
and grammar topics.
1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5613 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
27 June 2013 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
I would say GCSE is A2 and A Level is B1. That's presuming you pass at the highest grade.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 5
27 June 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
The equivalences table for CEFR in Wikipedia, which draws on a conference paper by de Jong (2009), suggests the following correspondences (much along the same lines as Oxford University):

GCSE grades C or lower (i.e. foundation level papers) = CEFR level A1
GCSE grades A to B (i.e. higher level papers) = CEFR level A2
AS level / lower grade 'A' level = CEFR level B1      
'A' Level (known as A2) = CEFR level B2

Some UK universities go further to suggest that an A* at GCSE, especially if accompanied with some time spent abroad in the target language country, may even correspond to a low CEFR B1 level (e.g. Keele University).

Personally, I think it largely depends on the student. Some learners go well beyond the requirements for landing an A* at GCSE or 'A' level, whilst others simply meet the criteria. Either way, there is still a huge gap to cross upon reaching college or university:

"GCSE learners fall well short of the B1 Threshold level of 2000 words (and 80% coverage of normal text) and it would appear they are well short of the level needed to be independent users. 'A' level students, with under 2000 words on average, look like they are just hitting the vocabulary levels needed for gist understanding which would place them at B1 rather than B2 level." (Milton, 2006).

Edited by Teango on 27 June 2013 at 10:12am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 5
27 June 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I studied both GCSE and A-level German (and GCSE French) as an adult in the UK, and I'd
say it's possible to pass with even a good grade at GCSE with only an extremely modest
vocabulary, and correspondigly modest comprehension and speaking skills.

AS/A level is distinctly harder, but even so, one can pass them with a fairly
restricted vocabulary and experience of the language.

I think the problem school pupils will face is that if they only are exposed to the
language at school, it simply will not be enough to get a really good grasp, and of
course the other subjects are competing for attention.

A well motivated adult learner can and probably will make opportunities for additional
language exposure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 5 of 5
27 June 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
GCSE and A level are not designed with CEFR in mind and are also particularly targeted
towards teenagers. I think in terms of grammar covered, GCSE would give you enough for A2 and
A level would probably be enough for B2, but your vocabulary would be too restricted to hit
these levels. For example, I left school with A level French and had the vocabulary to talk
about my school life and describe my brother. I then grew up and found that I didn't have the
vocabulary to talk about my working life or describe my husband!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version