dumbl3d0re
United States
Joined 4535 days ago

11 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 5
27 June 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
I've been learning German at my school for almost 2 years. I have learned most of what
I know from self-study because I so greatly enjoy just learning German and I was
wondering if anyone could assess where I am and my progress (possibly even a CEFR
estimate. I was thinking high A2). I've tried to include many samples.

Writing:
I recently finished a novel, Tschick by Wolfgang Herrndorf, and so I wrote a summary of
the book. This was written without a dictionary, grammar reference, style guide or any
help outside spell check. My writing isn't super but it's not bad and as of late I have
not been focusing as much on my writing.

Google Doc http://goo.gl/xowAw

Speaking:
This is difinitely my weakest area and I am trying to improve it.

An unprepared reading from the "Tatsachen über Deutschland"
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ebohIXb1Qr

A poem which I looked over and practiced a tiny bit http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iZGhEZuftC

(Sorry for the poor audio quality! My headset recently broke.) A lot of the tripping up
is that I'm poor at reading aloud. I would have done extemporaneous speaking but I
couldn't find a suitable topic. Even though my accent is poor, I can be pretty
spontaneous, but I do often find it hard to explain things in detail or express myself
more than superficially.

Reading:
I would say the hardest book I have read in its entirety is Tschick. If you go to
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3871347108/
and click on "Hier klicken Blick ins Buch" you can preview it to get an idea of
difficulty. There weren't too many parts where I needed a dictionary or was completely
lost. Now I am reading the first Harry Potter book and am able to read it without
difficulty and for pleasure. There are seldom vocab gaps that impede my understanding.
Newspapers and more adult books such as Süddeutsche Zeitung, Gunter Grass' works and a
book I have on Educational Psychology are above my level, but I can read das Urteil and
Andreas Franz' Krimnalromane with a dictionary.

Listening:
Listening is probably my weakest skill behind Speaking. The only movie I was able to
watch without subtitles "Komm, wir finden einen Schatz", a childrens movie and I have
struggled through some documentaries on ZFD. I am generally able to watch shows and
movies with subtitles, (Verbotene Liebe,Vitus). Klartext radio is almost
understandable. I can understand probably 50-60% regular news such as Tagesschau. Most
TV shows (Tatort, Jungs WG (not news)) are near impossible without subtitles though
(40%)

I know this is a lot and if anyone takes the time to look over all of this
Vielen Dank im Voraus!!

Bearbeitung: Umlaute hinzufügen

Edited by dumbl3d0re on 27 June 2013 at 8:54am

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 5
27 June 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Seems like you have done pretty well for self-study. Keep up the good work.

If you haven't already, you might try some audiobooks.

As well as HP, you might think about the Tintenwelt trilogy by Cornelia Funke.
(Tintenherz, TintenBlut, Tintentod).

Tintenwelt Wikipedia

There are English translations available, as well as Audiobücher auf Deutsch.

Viel Erfolg und Viel Spaß.

Edited by montmorency on 27 June 2013 at 1:11pm

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5408 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 5
28 June 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Zusammenfassung von Tschick (von Wolfgang Herrndorf geschrieben)

Tschick ist ein Roman, der um zwei Jungen geht. Einer namens Andrej ist ein Russe, den alle Tschick nennen. Er ist nach Deutschland mit seinem Bruder gezogen. Der andere heißt Maik, und stammt aus einer reichen Familie. Tschick kommt in Maiks Klasse beinahe am Ende des Schuljahres. Da Maik nicht zu der Party des Mädchens eingeladen(?) wird, in das er verliebt ist, wird er etwas deprimiert. Tschick überzeugt Maik eine Reise zu machen. Sie klauen ein Auto und Tschick sagt Maik, dass sie eine Verwandte in der Walachei suchen. Während ihrer Reise sind sie bei zwei Unfällen, besuchen ein Krankenhaus, begegnen einem bewaffneten Mann, und und haben andere Abenteuer. Am Ende kommen die beiden schließlich zurück nach Berlin.

The word order could sometimes be better (italics). "bei zwei Unfällen sein" is not clear. The rest is quite good (lapus are corrected in bold)

Your reading: German "z" is pronounced [ts], not [z]. The text is understandable, but the accent quite strong.

Edited by Cabaire on 28 June 2013 at 12:11am

dumbl3d0re
United States
Joined 4535 days ago

11 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 4 of 5
28 June 2013 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for your indispensable advice and help! I was also wondering whether my
pronunciation is as poor as the actual accent.

Edited by dumbl3d0re on 28 June 2013 at 6:35am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 5 of 5
30 June 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Your pronunciation is generally ok but you need to work on the letter z. It should have a hissing sound.

Take the English word "it's" and remove the first letter. There you have it.

Edited by beano on 30 June 2013 at 12:05pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version