Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 4
02 July 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
This evening I discovered that amazon.co.uk has the Petit Nicolas books on Kindle for a pretty reasonable price. Better yet, they have two stories available for free:
Louisette: Une histoire extraite du Petit Nicolas
La plage, c'est chouette !: Une histoire extraite des vacances du Petit Nicolas (French Edition)

The pictures are clear on my two-year old kindle (the old keyboard version), and are in fact larger than the pictures in the Folio paperback editions. And my installed French dictionary works with these ebooks, so I'm very happy.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 2 of 4
17 August 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
I have now read the stories twice on my kindle, and am loving it. The ability to look up words has been "chouette", although there are occasionally forms which the Collins dictionary doesn't know what to do about.

I'm posting an update because there are now five free stories available from Amazon (I have checked .ca, .com and .co.uk). It seems there is one free story for each book available on kindle.

For participants in the super challenge: the page estimates from Amazon for these 8 stories together total 76 pages.

I'm only surprised nobody has commented or anything on this thread. The Books, Literature & Reading forum doesn't seem to be visited very much, sadly.

Edited by Jeffers on 17 August 2013 at 1:22pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 4
17 August 2013 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
I don't see it on the US site ... maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

I actually bought a hard copy of first (I think) Le Petit Nicolas at a bookstore in
Montreal. I've seen a lot of references to the books, so I'm excited to be able to see
what it's all about! It's kind of the same way I felt a few years ago about Tintin, or
Dr. Who ... I knew the names, but as an American I knew close to nothing about what they
were about.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 4 of 4
17 August 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
I went to the kindle store and typed "petit nicolas".

Try this link.

My French level isn't great, and the stories are above my level, but I still find them a lot of fun to read. Some of the stories have actually made me laugh out loud.

I'd also recommend the audiobook of the first book, "Le Petit Nicolas", read by Brigitte Lecordier. Her voicing is brilliant, and really conveys the mood of the stories. From reading reviews on amazon.fr, the other CDs read by different people are disappointing by comparison. The price on amazon.com is shockingly high, but you can get it for less than half the price on amazon.ca or amazon.co.uk.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version