その当時メイプルストーリーというゲームを しました。友達と日本語のバージョンをプレ イしていました。その
頃仮名を勉強しました。
最初の2年は独学をしましたが成果があまり ありませんでした。そのあと 近所の学校で週に一回、日本語
授業に行きました。その授業はとても簡単だ ったから、独学を続きました。だから2級と 5級をスキップできま
した。今、最終の6級を取っています。
数年前にマンガとアニメを発見しました。と ても好きだったから、最近マンガをファン訳 しています
2012の十二月、日本語能力試験N4を合格しまし た!去年から真面目で日本語を勉強 始めました。今年
日本語能力試験N1かN2の合格を目指すこと。

Phew, it's been a while since I wrote this much. I usually just stick to reading/translating. For some
reason the forum won't show the い in no sei desu, I was able to fix it by putting it in bold. I've also
underlined any corrections.

Here's a rough translation, with some details added in:
I'm a Belgian who came into contact with Japanese around 2008, not exactly sure when it was. It's
because of an MMORPG called MapleStory. I was playing the Japanese version of the game and became
interested in the language. It was around then that I studied the Kana.

The first two years I did self study, but I didn't get any spectacular results (I had no idea how to learn a
language). After that I went to an evening school nearby and took a Japanese class once a week. The
class was super easy though, so I kept studying by myself. I tested out of the second and fifth year, and
am now taking the final class, the sixth one (it's super slow, we're now at around N3 level).

A few years ago I discovered manga and anime, I totally loved it and have recently started fan
translating manga to improve my Japanese (I've had people correcting them early on).
In December 2012 I passed the JLPT N4 (barely, lol). Since last year I've been taking my Japanese studies
seriously while also learning more about how to learn a language. I had finished core6k and did about
80 translations by the end of 2013 and I'm now aiming to pass either N2 or N1 this year in December.

This was quite fun to write =).

Edited by nandemonai on 05 January 2014 at 12:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 33
04 January 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Is 近くの学校で, as opposed to 近い学校で an idiomatic expression or something? And 勉強して
始め ました, I thought that one's supposed to modify with verbs such as 始める or 出すby adding
them to the i-stem.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3954 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 33
04 January 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Is 近くの学校で, as opposed to 近い学校で an idiomatic expression or something?
And 勉強して始め ました, I thought that one's supposed to modify with verbs such as 始める or 出すby
adding them to the i-stem.

You're probably right, I just wrote the whole thing without looking at any grammar rules.

Not sure what I was thinking at the 近くの学校, 近い学校 actually sounds much better. 勉強して始め
should be 勉強し始め, it's been a while since I learned that one (I don't think I've actually used it in
writing before).

http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/skills/vocab/sentences/?vocabid= 85327
http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/skills/grammar/sentences/?gramma rid=446

Edited by nandemonai on 04 January 2014 at 11:04pm

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 12 of 33
04 January 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
nandemonai wrote:
Not sure what I was thinking at the 近くの学校, 近い学校 actually sounds much
better.
I think 近所の学校 would sound even more natural for "school nearby". I'm not 100% certain
about this, but I think 近い would be more appropriate if you also specified what it's close to.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 05 January 2014 at 12:01am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 13 of 33
05 January 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Is 近くの学校で, as opposed to 近い学校で an idiomatic expression or
something?

Regarding this, both are right, but in my opinion 近くの学校で gives more the idea of
"the school nearby/close from here", while 近い学校で feels more like "a (random)
school nearby".
I'd use 近い学校 more in a sentence like これは近い学校じゃないか!(Isn't is a school
nearby! (rhetorical question)). But then again, it's my opinion! :p

Apart from that, if I may correct a few things (then again, I'm not a native, but if I
can help, I might as well.. tell me if it bothers you of course), there would be 2
things:
- The most important would be: you cannot use 最近 and the perfect tense together. I
understand that you probably wanted to say that "nowadays I've been doing..." But (at
least in this case) 最近漫画をファン訳して(い)ます。
- The second one, I'm not sure about how to go about it, but when you say スキップして
きました, it sounds a bit weird. As a matter of fact, if you skipped those classes,
that means you didn't not do them, and thus using して来る sounds weird to me. Just go
with a スキップしました I'd say.

Anyway, Nice journey! I'll be following your progress! If you actually make it to the
JLPT N1 this year, that'd be impressive! I passed the N2 in December 2012 and am still
feeling far from the N1 >.<
3 persons have voted this message useful

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3954 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 14 of 33
05 January 2014 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Ezy Ryder wrote:
Is 近くの学校で, as opposed to 近い学校で an idiomatic
expression or
something?

Regarding this, both are right, but in my opinion 近くの学校で gives more the idea of
"the school nearby/close from here", while 近い学校で feels more like "a (random)
school nearby".
I'd use 近い学校 more in a sentence like これは近い学校じゃないか!(Isn't is a school
nearby! (rhetorical question)). But then again, it's my opinion! :p

Apart from that, if I may correct a few things (then again, I'm not a native, but if I
can help, I might as well.. tell me if it bothers you of course), there would be 2
things:
- The most important would be: you cannot use 最近 and the perfect tense together. I
understand that you probably wanted to say that "nowadays I've been doing..." But (at
least in this case) 最近漫画をファン訳して(い)ます。
- The second one, I'm not sure about how to go about it, but when you say スキップして
きました, it sounds a bit weird. As a matter of fact, if you skipped those classes,
that means you didn't not do them, and thus using して来る sounds weird to me. Just go
with a スキップしました I'd say.

Anyway, Nice journey! I'll be following your progress! If you actually make it to the
JLPT N1 this year, that'd be impressive! I passed the N2 in December 2012 and am still
feeling far from the N1 >.<

Thanks for the feedback and clearing things up. Last one I actually meant できる instead of 来る, I just
forgot to use the kanji for it. As in "I was able to skip the classes".

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3954 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 15 of 33
06 January 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Japanese:
Yesterday I wrote my introduction for the challenge, was able to fix some mistakes thanks to the
feedback. I've been thinking that I should practice output more often, maybe lang8? I also translated
about 50 pages of shounen manga.

Today I read the whole volume of demon possession, I reread the earlier pages as I kinda forgot where I
left off. I noticed that I still have huge gaps in my vocabulary, almost every page had words I didn't
understand. Especially on the more text heavy pages. I also watched the Sword Art Online extra without
subs, it contained a lot of flashbacks and scenes I had put into anki. I understood like 90% of the whole
thing (1h40min) and I was really happy with that. I tried to watch Seitokai Yakuindomo season 2 episode
1 without subs, but I was missing the majority of the jokes that I quickly turned on the subs again.
Retention on core is steadily rising, today I finally managed to reach 90%! Didn't expect that to recover
so fast after clearing a 4000 reviews backlog. Workload is also dropping, only 203 reviews tomorrow.

I also did a mockup test on the jlpt site for n2, and I had everything right except the few that were
asking the correct grammar forms. If I can improve my grammar considerably, I don't think n1 will be
out of reach this year!

I also looked over the things I need to know for my Japanese exam next week, it's barely anything new
for me. Just a few grammar points, some words here and there and I should be ready =)

Lithuanian:
Today I had my first skype session with KijoFaia (looks like I motivated her to create a log of her own
^^) to help me with my pronunciation. This is hard. It's completely different from any language I know
and the variable stress doesn't help. I learned how to pronounce the first dialogue of colloquial
lithuanian and at the end we went through a list of countries and helping each other on how to
pronounce it (she's learning Dutch). I'll be adding these to my anki deck tomorrow.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5547 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 33
06 January 2014 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
What's the percentage you give for the core collection? Is that on the original site, whatever its name is atm?

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version