BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3959 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 33
06 January 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
What's the percentage you give for the core collection? Is that on the original site,
whatever its name is atm?

Retention rate, the amount of cards you got remembered correctly. It's part of the Anki statistics you
can look at after you're done with all your reviews. I think I started with this deck:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1102215805 but I'm not 100% sure as I've renamed the deck soon
after.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5552 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 18 of 33
06 January 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I never got to that point ... haha.
1 person has voted this message useful

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3959 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 19 of 33
07 January 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Japanese:
Caught up with Log Horizon in Japanese, it's pretty much the first anime I started watching with
Japanese subtitles before having seen it with English subtitles. I can understood most of it to follow the
plot, but I do miss quite some details. I also watched some scenes again later on with English subtitles
as they were quite important to the story. I'm definitely going to use this for my subs2srs deck with the
harder scenes. The more I watch, the more I start to pick up by listening alone, which is great. I
should've dropped English subs much earlier but I've been afraid to do so earlier on.
Today I started studying the Kanzen Master N3 grammar sentences with anki, the deck now has the
following layout: http://cl.ly/image/2e1M0e0r1J1D
I plan to add one book to anki every 2 months, which should give me another 5 months or so for me to
internalize all the grammar points by December for the JLPT.

Lithuanian:
Just reviews.

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3959 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 20 of 33
10 January 2014 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Japanese:
Been keeping up with my reps, translated 18 pages, and didn't miss a single day in adding my grammar
cards since I started this week. Also watched the latest episode of Hunter x Hunter with Japanese subs,
but in the middle they got out of sync that I just stuck with listening. I've also started a deck with
sentences I find in native material.

At this pace I can finish the Shin Kanzen Master Grammar N3 book in a little over a month, which would
make it 5 weeks total for one book. If the N2 and N1 books go as fast, I'll be ahead in my schedule for
grammar!

Lithuanian:
I've read a bit more in colloquial, the present tense is quite complicated (more like completely different
than in any language I know). Going to read about asking questions next.

Edited by nandemonai on 10 January 2014 at 4:03am

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3959 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 21 of 33
26 January 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Finals are finally over, time to focus on language learning again!

Japanese:
Translated a few manga chapters. I kept up my anki reps up until the 20th or so, I had to start focussing
on my finals at this point and was exhausted by the time I finished for the day. Catching up right now,
should be done with that in about an hour of reviewing. I won't be able to recover the time I lost in the
tadoku challenge, but I'll be trying my best to read as much as I can with the time that's left over. I
started reading the Kino no Tabi and OreImo light novels, which is going really well so far! I've read
about 10 pages in Kino no Tabi and 51 in OreImo in just a few days, which is really motivating me to
keep studying. I hope to finish OreImo volume 1 in the next few days.
I had to stop adding new cards to my grammar deck, but I did keep up with reviewing the older ones.
I'm gonna type up a few pages in advance so I can still learn new grammar patterns even if I don't feel
like putting them into anki that day.

Lithuanian:
I finished the first chapter of complete lithuanian, and also pimsleur unit 2. I'll have to review it since I
haven't done anything else except keeping up my few anki reviews for this language. Also gonna get
ready for the 6 week challenge.

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3959 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 22 of 33
18 February 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Oh wow it's been a while since I last updated.

Japanese:
I've been using Japanese a lot to read manga, probably read around 1200 pages of shounen manga
since I last posted. Haven't really continued with the light novels, I know I should but I keep getting
distracted. I find it very hard to do something consistently everyday without missing one. Same goes for
anki (adding cards or just reviewing even), It goes well for one week, and then I miss one, two or three
days and it's a complete mess again. It's like I do the majority of my studies in a few intensive sessions,
and then let it linger around for a while. I haven't looked at the consistency challenge for like a week
either...
After this post I'm going to catch up with my reviews and add a bunch of cards, it's been a few days
again. I've ordered up until volume 8 of Kino no Tabi, hoping I'll get through them in a decent amount
of time.

Lithuanian:
I've learned how motivation plays a big role in learning a language, I haven't really made any progress in
it. I need to find a different way than textbooks to use it, as those are full of grammar explanations that
don't really help me.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6942 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 23 of 33
18 February 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Have you looked at the Lithuanian course for beginners at Oneness City?

When I was studying Lithuanian in preparation for my trip to Lithuania a while ago, I was disappointed by Teach Yourself Lithuanian (renamed "Complete Lithuanian") because the authors chose not only to throw a lot of grammar in every chapter, but also draw up long lists of vocabulary whose items aren't all found in the dialogues or text anyway, and the unnaturally slow speech of the voice actors on the CDs until the final chapter who then speak at normal speed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3959 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 24 of 33
24 February 2014 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Lithuanian:
I had taken a look at it before, but not so in depth because I tend to avoid sites with a layout like that. I
took a look once again and found it actually has quite a lot of content. I've been learning some of the
sentences from lesson 1. I'm still not sure how to go about learning the grammar, as I'm not such a
huge fan of doing a lot of it early on. My friend sent me a copy of the hobbit audiobook + pdf which I'm
going to use for listening-reading, my main goal with this is getting used to the sound of the language.
I also read in Colloquial Lithuanian for like 10 minutes today.

Japanese:
Caught up with anki and added some grammar cards. I found a spreadsheet with the sentences for Shin
Kanzen Master N2 so that should save me some time. I'm actually thinking of adding these to my deck
already. To study new material on days that I can't type over sentences of the N3 book. Over the past
few days I've started using LingQ as I never really got to test it out properly. I've got to say that I'm really
impressed with it. I'm gonna use it for the next month and see where it will take me.

With LingQ I'm also spending 10 mins a day trying to revive my (nonexistent) French that I was taught in
high school. Not that I really want to speak it, I just want to see what the site could do for me compared
to the boring classes that I was forced to take.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version