Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4102 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 17 of 23
12 July 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for not posting about my progress yesterday.
I have a bad sprain and might need to get surgery on my knee (my ACL is torn. I don't know how serious the tear is yet, and if I have any ACL left.)

I spent over an hour in my physician's waiting room. I decided to put this time to good use and to review the 300+ words that were due. My retention rate is pretty much 100% right now, which is a really good sign.
I can safely move on to new words, and review the "younger" cards I've made over the past few days.

I can't walk at all. If I do have to walk, I need to wear a tight knee splint.
I spend most of my time in bed listening to podcasts to learn English.
I usually don't like these podcasts, but it's not like I can be picky right now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4102 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 

Message 18 of 23
17 July 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I've been listening to English podcasts for days.
I haven't given up on vocabulary, despite my sprain (+tendonitis, things just keep getting better.)

I've reviewed the 350+ words that I've been studying for around 2 weeks. I remember them all (95% retention).

I've started making new flash cards yesterday. I intend on making more soon.

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4102 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 

Message 19 of 23
30 December 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
*This thread is back from the dead! *

(For those who might care (thank you!), my tendonitis ended up being a partial tear of the MCL. MCLs take about a year to heal so I'm still recovering.)

I spent the last few months studying and gaming.
Recently, I've been on some strange reading spree. I guess I must be really bored, or secretly wishing to improve my vocabulary using a new method.

I re-read a book which I've already read twice (so, I'm definitely bored haha).
I started re-reading the second one in the series but stopped after I found The Bar Code Tattoo. I read it in a day, and I'm currently reading the sequel.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4102 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 

Message 20 of 23
01 January 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Small update: I'm still reading the sequel of The Bar Code Tattoo.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4101 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 21 of 23
01 January 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I attended an "oldschool" Catholic primary school, and there was a homework assignment
that was assigned to us very frequently for vocabulary learning in English class--spell
the word five times (write it) onto paper, write the definition, then create a sentence
therewith. It is like a drill, but surprisingly effective.

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4102 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 

Message 22 of 23
05 January 2014 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Thanks for suggesting the method! I might try it sometime.

So, these last few days have been kind of tough. I have tons of RL issues at the moment.
I finally got around to finishing my book, but ended up reading most of the last chapters at the doctor's (I know, sounds fun.)

I'm trying really, really hard to find new books to read. My new method is downloading random books and putting them on my Kindle without even looking at reviews.
I can't say my attempts have been particularly fruitful so far, but I'm fed up with spending 90% of my "reading time" thinking about books.

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4102 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 

Message 23 of 23
04 February 2014 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
I'm still alive and (semi?) kicking, but RL hasn't been kind to me.

I skimmed through Superfreakonomics, read How to win at college + 25% of Ender's game (before realizing that it was a truly horrible book).

I also read the beginning of Marketing warfare, Wisdom of crowds and other books that I discarded swiftly.

I'm desperately looking for a teen/YA book that's not either ridiculously gory or full of complicated vocabulary.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version