Daily Online TV News in Other Languages

Tags: TV | Internet
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4102 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 1 of 6
05 July 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
What are the principal online televised news websites for, for example, the European
countries or Canada in non-English languages? I use the online news (as I have no
television set) to help my listening skills. However I only know of RTVE for Spain and
RTP for Portugal.

For Spanish, I use RTVE and CNNChile. For Portuguese, I use RTP. For French, I have no
sources, as CBCPlayer news is in English, and I am not sure what the principal online
televised news for France is. I have no idea what the websites are for Netherlands
(Dutch news), Quebéc (French news), Belgium (Dutch/French news), Sweden, (Swedish
news), Italy (Italian news), Argentina (Spanish news), Brasil (Portuguese news), etc. I
usually spend time searching and find some random radio stations, but not full
recordings with hour-long televised news programmes, for example like RTVE's news:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4659 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 2 of 6
05 July 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
I heard that you can access euronews in a variety of languages.

If you don't mind Canadian French, try searching for RDI. You can watch their live stream free via the radio-canada.ca website. I watch it sometimes, even though my French does not go far beyond "Bonjour."

Portuguese news streams from Brazil are almost non-existant, but if you go to a site called playtv.fr (I think that is what it's called), you can find the streams for Record TV and Record News. There are many stations at playtv.fr that I cannot access, being in Japan, but I can access the Record stations with no problem.

Also, try these:
Belgium (French)
http://www.rtbf.be/tv/laune

Belgium (Flemish)
http://www.een.be/mediatheek

You can find live Dutch news from the Netherlands here:
http://nos.nl/
*Scroll down to where you see NOS Live, and choose a channel.

You can also try the videos at the France2 website, but I have not been able to access them from here in Japan.

Hope this helps!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 6
05 July 2013 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Multilingual Books has a list of channels for French, German, Japanese, Mandarin and Spanish.

If you want to take a walk on the wilder side, may I suggest news broadcasts in Finnish and Northern Saami from Finland's national broadcaster, YLE.

Whenever I want to start looking for online channels in different languages, I go to Wikipedia's list of publicly-funded broadcasters or the article on television. For the latter I pick the language on the list on the left and sometimes near the end of the article I can find at least one link to a television station that broadcasts in the article's language (e.g. the Uzbek version of the article has a link to O'zbekiston Milliy teleradiokompaniyasi - Uzbekistan's national broadcasting company.)
5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4102 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 4 of 6
05 July 2013 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Thank you, that helps very much, finding a recorded version of French news was difficult
especially. France2 is not functioning for me, but France3 somehow works. NOS Journaal24
I only find live but that is good anyway. TVMonde5 also seems to work as well. My
internet connection is not very fast, so I usually try to wait to load the recordings of
the news.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4659 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 5 of 6
05 July 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
That is an awesome list, Chung. Thank you for the link!
1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5021 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
05 July 2013 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
You're welcome to try the French language news sources I have in my log:

post 22. Once caveat, though: I haven't tested the links
recently, so if any of the URLs have changed, please let me know.

Also post 26, if you don't mind having old
news/interviews. - The advantage of these is that many of them are transcripted.

Another transcripted news source recently mentioned here on Htlal is "7 jours sur la planète".   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version