Triglot
United States
Joined 4076 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 1 of 8
07 July 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
At what level does Assimil with Ease stop being level appropriate? I am considering getting Italian with Ease (1999),
but I fear it may just be too simple or the amount of material that isn't too simple will be too small to justify the
purpose.

On online tests I am usually ranked as a B1. In real life I can go out with Italians and enjoy the night if they make
allowances for my language learning - I.E talk slower and not use complex vocabulary.

I know the first several lessons are material I'm very comfortable with, but I wonder if I could benefit from halfway
through or whether I should move onto a more advanced assimil course - I simply don't know! Has anyone had
experience starting with assimil after some exposure to the language?

Edited by vogue on 07 July 2013 at 4:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5197 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 8
07 July 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I think you certainly could still make much use out of Assimil. To do a regular passive wave from the start would probably not do much for you. Similarly, the audio from the first third or half of the book would probably be too easy/slow to shadow or get a ton of use out of. However, doing it actively (translating from English to Italian) would probably be a pretty good and rewarding exercise as would using the last half of the audio for listening experience.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6261 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 8
07 July 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
I started Assimil Italian after I was already B2. It helped clear up a lot of errors I was making.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4831 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 8
07 July 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
If you are around B1, than don't look at the first few lessons, look at some of the last ones. Those will tell you more.

I find useful stuff in Assimil French and I am B2+, but of course less than had I started with it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5269 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 5 of 8
07 July 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
It depends on where and how you learned your Italian. Assimil is geared for letting you think in the language and use the language colloquially. In my experience, you can string together sentences with school grammar and guess at what people are saying to you by keyword recognition without really having the ability to use the language colloquially - that's exactly where I was when I arrived in France after a couple years in high school and university. However, after I'd been in France for about a month, it seemed like everything I knew academically metamorphosed into real French from use and I got Pratique du Francais, not beginner Assimil.

If you are not going to be in Italy for a decent interval any time soon, I would get the beginner book and work through it quickly, just to hear a lot of Italian rolling around in your head before you hit the next course. But if you have the opportunity to spend some time in Italy, you're better off getting the next book and trying to drop what you're learning into conversation. It will give you new things to say and listen for and enable your friends to talk to you like another Italophone, not a language learner.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4076 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 6 of 8
07 July 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
If you are around B1, than don't look at the first few lessons, look at some of the last ones.
Those will tell you more.

I find useful stuff in Assimil French and I am B2+, but of course less than had I started with it.

I really want to look at the later lessons to see what kind of material is covered before purchasing but there
doesn't seem to be a place to do that. Though I could certainly take some out of assimil, I don't know if I want to
spend the money on this book if the next book is better. However, it does seem B1 people have gotten benefit so
that's good.

Quote:
It depends on where and how you learned your Italian. Assimil is geared for letting you think in the
language and use the language colloquially. In my experience, you can string together sentences with school
grammar and guess at what people are saying to you by keyword recognition without really having the ability to
use the language colloquially - that's exactly where I was when I arrived in France after a couple years in high
school and university. However, after I'd been in France for about a month, it seemed like everything I knew
academically metamorphosed into real French from use and I got Pratique du Francais, not beginner Assimil.

If you are not going to be in Italy for a decent interval any time soon, I would get the beginner book and work
through it quickly, just to hear a lot of Italian rolling around in your head before you hit the next course. But if
you have the opportunity to spend some time in Italy, you're better off getting the next book and trying to drop
what you're learning into conversation. It will give you new things to say and listen for and enable your friends to
talk to you like another Italophone, not a language learner.

I'm self taught, through books, flashcards, movies/tv, and conversation. I currently live in Italy - and as
mentioned go
out with Italians and only talk in Italian. They do use slang, but talk slowly and clarify if I don't understand. I can
have phone conversations in Italian fairly well (i.e can make plans, chat, and talk about when someone will be
back home, where they went, etc).

My primary weakness is producing sentences cleanly and accurately, I think. So perhaps starting with the active
phase maybe helpful.

Edited by vogue on 07 July 2013 at 9:08pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5973 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 7 of 8
08 July 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
If you speak Spanish, and your Italian is at B1, you don't need to use a course with any English. I'd recommend looking at some all Italian courses by Alma Edizioni. My Italian is only around A2, but it's easy enough to understand their B2 material. I've used Assimil Italian with Ease. The course would have some benefits if you start with the active wave. Note that Assimil tends to use unusual, humorous and odd situations in each lesson, which can make some translations challenging.

[Aside - It's taken numerous attempts before I could post this. Forum performance is very very poor at the moment.]

Edited by DaraghM on 08 July 2013 at 3:26pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4988 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 8 of 8
08 July 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
If you can get to Perfectionnement Italien, then it's appropriate to start with Italian with Ease. Just do it quickly. That's what I did with Assimil French: I had already had classes for almos two years, so I went quickly through Assimil French with Ease just to level things up, content-wise and method-wise, before I proceeded to Using French. I would just read listen to the grouo of six lessons one after another, pausing when I found some new words or phrasings.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version