Groupie
Poland
Joined 4324 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 1 of 5
07 July 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I'm looking for a good pop-up Portuguese-English dictionary (a one that would enable you to read the translation, for instance, once you've hovered over the unknown word with the mouse arrow in the text you're reading). Does anyone know of any?

Alternatively, it can be a monolingual pop-up dictionary.

I'm mainly interested in European Portuguese, but I won't mind if the dictionary is, for instance, designed mainly for the Bazilian variant.

PS: this is my first thread, so sorry if I've posted in the wrong forum.

EDIT: Ideally, the dictionary should have audio pronunciation of Portuguese words.

Edited by umiak on 07 July 2013 at 11:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4659 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 2 of 5
08 July 2013 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I've been looking for one of these for a long time, but good Portuguese plugins for browsers are hard to find, or non-existant.

What I use nowadays for Firefox is a plugin called Quick Translation. It's not exactly a pop-up dictionary, but when you select a word, a button pops up next to the word. When you click the button, the translation is shown in a box in the lower right corner of the browser. There is no audio pronunciation, however, but otherwise it is the closest thing to a true pop-up Portuguese-English dictionary that I've found, and very easy to use.

There is another (experimental but good) plugin for Chrome that I think had audio pronunciation, but I'm not sure because I don't use Chrome nowadays.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 5
08 July 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
Kuji is right. There is a Chrome plug-in. I read about it here on member erikspen's blog On learning Brazilian Portuguese. The plug-in is intended for Brazilian learners of English, but can be used by learners of Portuguese too. The article has a video that explains its use.

At my level, I use a monolingual dictionary. Unfortunately, I haven't found a pop-up for Portuguese online, but I copy and paste into the Priberam dictionary. By copying the word and pasting it into the Priberam window, I don't lose my place when I return to an article because the word is still highlighted. I also use Dicionário Informal and Linguee. Linguee has translated examples in context and is an excellent resource. With a Kindle reading is much easier. I have the Priberam monolingual dictionary installed and it is a pop-up.

If you want to do some reading exercises, check out the exercises from erikspen at Reading Exercises: On learning Brazilian Portuguese- Messi vs Neymar. Hover over the underlined words with your cursor for a translation. He also notes below the reading selection.

Boa sorte e bem-vindo ao forum!

Edited by iguanamon on 08 July 2013 at 3:55am

umiak
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4324 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 4 of 5
09 July 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Obrigado. :)

I should have specified that I need a dictionary that also works with text editors.

I've done some research into it. Maybe someone will find it useful:
--at the website where the Priberam dictionary of Portuguese is avilable, they offer various apps that can be used with Word text editor. Here you can see what they offer: http://www.flip.pt/Produtos.aspx Some of the apps feature bilingual dictionaries.
--there's also Lingvosoft Professional Suite Portuguese-English. This is a dictionary, translator plus some other apps in one. http://www.lingvosoft.com/LingvoSoft-Suite-Deluxe-English-Po rtuguese-for-Windows/
--Dicionário Aurélio -- a monolingual Portuguese dictionary. It works with the mentioned text editor: http://www.aureliopositivo.com.br/#/Dicionarios_Vitrine_Dici onario_Aurelio

None of them features audio pronunciation of the headwords, however.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 5
09 July 2013 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
umiak wrote:
I should have specified that I need a dictionary that also works with
text editors.

You might want to take a a look at Goldendict. It's
available for both Windows and Linux, and they also have an android version. It does
take some manual set up to get everything working the way you'd like, though. Once set
up, it will work with any text on your system, local or networked.

It supports a few different freely available dictionary formats, and also has support
for audio, either via Forvo or ABBYY Lingo.

I've imported several Babylon dictionaries with good results.

R.
==

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version