Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Portuguese Books/Workbooks with CEFR

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4102 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 1 of 4
10 July 2013 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
I have Lidel Português Livro do Aluno XXI Nivel A1 and A2, but not B1, and the Gramatica
Activa from Lidel as well. I bought the two from Blackwells in the UK, and in addition I
still have a 2004 edition of Living Language Portuguese and Ponto de Encontro. However I
cannot find more than B1 level books. What would be good resources that will help advance
by level, with a CEFR mark on the book as well?

I notice that Practise Makes Perfect have a book, but it is Basic Portuguese, and I am
not sure if there are any higher levels. I would prefer CEFR marked books, but if that is
not possible, higher level books with equivalent level of material would be fine.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 10 July 2013 at 5:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 4
10 July 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
The same publisher, Lidel, also has Português sem fronteiras. Volume 3 of this series is rated as B1-B2. This is a monolingual course with audio. Lidel online. Lidel also has a broad selection of other (mostly monolingual) material for second language learners of Portuguese. Browse to your heart's content. Unfortunately, from what I can see, relatively few books are specifically referenced with a CEFR level. Boa sorte.

Edited by iguanamon on 10 July 2013 at 5:25pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4102 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 3 of 4
11 July 2013 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
I see, I will look at that book if I have the chance. Even though I prefer CEFR, if there
are not many sources, does the Brasilian Academy of Portuguese have more books? There are
very many books for Spanish and French, but as said before, I have problems finding many
sources for Portuguese. I learn European Portuguese, so I would probably have to learn
whatever is in a Brasilian book and then relearn the nuance to translate it into European
Portuguese shall need should arise.

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4561 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 4 of 4
11 July 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
If you focus on Continental Portuguese, then you should stick with it.
Brazilian grammar and word choice can be very different, and it may
1. confuse you, 2. make you score lower on your Cont. Pt. test since professors of European Portuguese do not tolerate the Brazilian usage, more often than not:

http://www.necco.ca/faq_what_clients_need_to_know.htm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version