Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
flabbergasted
Triglot
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 6142 days ago

75 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Latvian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, Serbo-Croatian, Catalan, Persian

Message 1 of 1
12 July 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
I consider myself somewhere between intermediate and upper-intermediate as far as
reading in German is concerned, and have consistently come up against the problem of
finding a good unadapted book to read. I tried reading fairy tales, and children's
literature, but despite the relatively simple language I didn't enjoy the content that
much. I would love to read such writers as Thomas Mann, Peter Weiss and Uwe Johnson,
but they're still too difficult for me. Recently I've made a discovery for myself. This
is not a book originally written in German, but it seems to me to be the perfect
reading material for the level I am at present. This is "Sinuhe der Ägypter" by Mika
Waltari. The book is 800 pages long, very interesting, intelligent, but not too
complicated for a learner. If anyone has problems similar to mine, I recommend checking
it out. For all I know, it might be that bridge that might eventually lead to more
complex high-brow literature in German. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.de/Sinuhe-%C3%84gypter-Historischer-Mika-
Waltari/dp/3404158113/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373623 550&sr=1-
1&keywords=waltari+sinuhe

9 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version