Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 11
12 July 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Occasionally we may need to cover a language quickly, and just grasp the basics. I'm thinking about the A0 to A1 language level. What short, or beginners, courses do you think are the best ? My nominations would be as follows,

Teach Yourself Russian Grammar - I found this short grammar book to give the best quick coverage of Russian I've seen. It probably goes to about A2\B1 in terms of grammar.
Elizabeth Smith Fast Portuguese - This series has recently been re-branded as the Elizabeth Smith Travellers series. I used this a long time ago, and it got me near A1 in a fairly short time. They're designed to be used over a six week period. The courses are decent for the Romance languages, but the Russian and Greek don't teach the alphabet. Not good.

What others would you nominate ?

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 11
12 July 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
I sort of liked Elisabeth Smith's Fast French, but never did finish it. I think it is a pretty good introduction, but I think it underestimates the time it will take to complete it (e.g. you are to learn a set of 90 vocab words in 30 minutes).

My favourite quick course is the TY X Conversation audio courses, rebranded as Speak X with Confidence (they are both identical as far as I can see). In three CDs they cover a fair bit of the language in a very practical way, with a strong focus on material for travellers. I've used the Hindi, French and German versions, and found the Hindi to be the best of the three by far. They have been updated and expanded as "Get Talking X" and "Keep Talking X"... in this case it's not a simple rebranding but still uses most of the same recorded dialogues.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4689 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 11
12 July 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I did a couple chapters of the FSI FAST course for Italian, plus Michel Thomas, and it
was perfect for a rapid introduction.

My Sister did Speak Spanish with Confidence and really liked it

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4515 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 4 of 11
12 July 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I tried Michel Thomas and loved it.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 5 of 11
13 July 2013 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I did a couple chapters of the FSI FAST course for Italian, plus Michel Thomas, and it

I suppose "short" is a relative term. The Elisabeth Smith "Fast" courses are supposed to take you 21 hours. The FSI FAST courses are supposed to take 300.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4689 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 11
13 July 2013 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
kanewai wrote:
I did a couple chapters of the FSI FAST course for
Italian, plus Michel Thomas, and it

I suppose "short" is a relative term. The Elisabeth Smith "Fast" courses are supposed to
take you 21 hours. The FSI FAST courses are supposed to take 300.

How's that possible? I just looked at my Italian - 30 lessons (though I only did about
six), with ten to fifteen minutes of audio each. I don't think I spent more than an hour
or two on each lesson - there certainly isn't enough there for ten hours per lesson.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 7 of 11
13 July 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
kanewai wrote:
I did a couple chapters of the FSI FAST course for
Italian, plus Michel Thomas, and it

I suppose "short" is a relative term. The Elisabeth Smith "Fast" courses are supposed to
take you 21 hours. The FSI FAST courses are supposed to take 300.

How's that possible? I just looked at my Italian - 30 lessons (though I only did about
six), with ten to fifteen minutes of audio each. I don't think I spent more than an hour
or two on each lesson - there certainly isn't enough there for ten hours per lesson.

I got the hours from the "To the Teacher" section of FAST French, which has 40 chapters and 625 pages. But remember also that this is not a course designed for self-study. There are exercises to write in the book, exercises to do as a class, 3-4 pages of homework exercises, and several sets of exercises to do with your teacher. The book was designed to be taught by an FSI teacher. I imagine they are very throrough lessons.

JCTranslator
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3935 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, Mandarin, Italian, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 11
01 August 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I have used Michel Thomas to get my foot in the door and I must say it is effective, but the lack of a written element is detrimental, especially if you have a more visual memory.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version