Joined 4559 days ago

34 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Greek, Italian

Message 9 of 22
18 July 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
Stephen7878 wrote:

And at Michel1020, if it wasn't important to me then I wouldn't have asked. If my aim in foreign language
learning is to converse casually with natives, why wouldn't it be worth it to learn those words?

Because they are mistakes in speech, they show your weaknesses in a native way and now and then are a
bit impolite.

Beside some if not all of those words cannot be used in all cases so if you use one at the wrong time you are
making a wrong mistake (where minus by minus don't give plus).

So you think saying "well what do you think" is a mistake? or impolite? I think that those words are pretty
universal in how they are employed, and where there are differences, speaking with natives will fix that
problem. I just cannot comprehend the argument you are trying to make.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4908 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 22
18 July 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:

Allora, in Italian.

"Quindi" is another one. Used often when you don't know what else to say. "Quindi..."

Another one is "comunque", when you sort of want to switch topics/gears, but it can come
off as a little rude depending on who you use it with.

R.
==
5 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4388 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 11 of 22
18 July 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
"Este" is a common filler word in Spanish.

Edited by embici on 18 July 2013 at 10:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4112 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 12 of 22
19 July 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
Stephen7878 wrote:

And at Michel1020, if it wasn't important to me then I wouldn't have asked. If my aim in foreign language
learning is to converse casually with natives, why wouldn't it be worth it to learn those words?

Because they are mistakes in speech, they show your weaknesses in a native way and now and then are a bit impolite.

Interjections aren't mistakes. They're linguistic crutches, and in some languages they have an additional function as signs of acknowledgment.

I'm sure you use interjections in your native language. Or do you go "I feel terrible disgust because I've stepped on a smelly substance of suspicious contexture, and now my shoe is dirty" whenever you've accidentally stepped on dog poo? No: you probably just go "beurk" (...I guess. I don't know French). Why wouldn't you use them in other languages if you do in your own?

I also don't understand why you think the use of interjections show lack of native fluency, given that native speakers frequently ALSO use them for the same purposes a language learner would.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4908 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 13 of 22
19 July 2013 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Michel1020 wrote:
Stephen7878 wrote:

And at Michel1020, if it wasn't important to me then I wouldn't have asked. If my aim
in foreign language
learning is to converse casually with natives, why wouldn't it be worth it to learn
those words?

Because they are mistakes in speech, they show your weaknesses in a native way and now
and then are a bit impolite.

Interjections aren't mistakes. They're linguistic crutches, and in some languages they
have an additional function as signs of acknowledgment.

What Stephen7878 was asking about isn't really interjections - that's something else
entirely. Interjections are exclamations. What he was asking about is called fillers.
Why would you consider them linguistic crutches? Used judiciously, they'll make the
non-native appear a bit more at ease with the language. Nothing wrong with that, as
long as it's not overdone.

R.
==
4 persons have voted this message useful

Bruno87
Diglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 4160 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese

Message 14 of 22
19 July 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
embici wrote:
"Este" is a common filler word in Spanish.

Yep. It´s like a "Esteeehh".

I don't know any equivalent in German but I say "Achh" xD

Does anybody know the German equivalent to "well"?

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4112 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 15 of 22
19 July 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Why would you consider them linguistic crutches?

R.
==

Hm. In retrospective, I think I might've misused the term "linguistic" here, on a heat of the moment fit of language-learning passion, but anyhow...
I meant that for the most part, I said they're crutches because (at least for me) they're a support one can lean on when the correct word won't come to mind and buying time is necesary, and also that when used correctly, they show a degree of comfort within the language (like you said).
Also, I used that specific word because both in language and in the physical world, people don't use crutches unless they have to, so I also tried to imply they shouldn't be abused.
1 person has voted this message useful

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4210 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 16 of 22
19 July 2013 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
In German, I'm prone to a solid 'naja', 'klar' or a very non-chalant 'ja' when wanting to let someone know
you're still listening to them. That's just based off of what I hear in Til Schweiger films and hear on MDR
Figaro Cafe, a podcast I listen to a lot. It seems to work when I speak with my German friends, too!

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version