bobby1413
United Kingdom
Joined 4009 days ago

32 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 25
19 July 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I've been learning Italian for 7 weeks now and I think I've picked up a fair amount
already. I can hardly understand anything listening to tv and radio, in fact, it sounds
completely alien to me!

However, with writing and reading, it's far easier, and even speaking is easier.

I've noticed that it's becoming more instinctive. E.g. I can look at a sentence, and
not know 2-3 words, but can really quickly work it out.

I've also noticed that there are LOADS AND LOADS of Italian words which seem to just
have 100 different meanings and uses.

Like Alle, Sono, Ci, Esso, Questo, etc....

I kind of think of those words as not meaning anything. Like just fillers in a
sentence, to join it together.

As for verbs, I have some undertanding of -ARE verbs. -ERE is quite similar, but -IRE
I haven't really looked at to be honest.

I'm also starting to think more about sentence structure, and how I can say something.
Like I will sometimes make up something I want to say...

as an example, I may think "Are you doing much today?" and then try to construct the
sentence and think about how I would ask, what are you doing today? as I don't know
how to directly translate... "Che è fare oggi" - which I then look up to realise it's
not quite right and then I adjust it and learn more.

It's good to know I'm learning
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5410 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 25
19 July 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
In every language the most used words are always used in the most strikingly different idioms. Once you have the first 1000 under your belt, the new words become much more reliable and restricted, because they are more specialized by its nature.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 3 of 25
19 July 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
bobby1413 wrote:

At first, it is good that you feel like you're making progress, good luck with your further studies.
But reading the above I think you make life more difficult than necessary. It is exactly the simple high frequency words you should get a good understanding of as soon as possible, then you have more capacity for concentrating on new words, structures and so on. Not a perfect understanding, but a good overview what they mean and how they are used.
Some of them are absolutely trivial, like sono, esso, questo; alle belongs to the preposition a, combined with the article. a is not easy, just as prepositions in English are not easy, but the general idea is simple, whereas the correct usage is not. ci is a little bit tricky, ok, but still accessible at an early stage.
So I recommend that you use an ordinary textbook in order to get these rather simple things explained. Maybe using it aside of what you do now will be useful at many points where you feel like you cannot understand what is going on, but a short look at the textbook makes everything clear in some minutes.

Edited by lingoleng on 20 July 2013 at 1:27pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 25
20 July 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I second lingoleng's advice. If you treat too much as filler, there's a tendency to grow to understand a language, but have a really terrible time producing it. I've done that before, and it's not fun.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4644 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 5 of 25
21 July 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
bobby1413 wrote:

You shouldn't.

Alle = "to/at the" for plural feminine words (made up of a + le)

Sono = I am / they are

Ci = quite tricky but it's an important particle and is not meaningless

Esso = an uncommon way to say "he"

Questo = this

I really don't get how you could come to the conclusion that those words are filler
words which have no meaning.

Edited by Rykketid on 21 July 2013 at 12:07pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4169 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 25
21 July 2013 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Rykketid wrote:

I really don't get how you could come to the conclusion that those words are filler

I had the same thought when I read the op. Far from fillers, all those little words make a big difference in the meaning, and the general impression your Italian will leave. Details are boring for many of us (myself included), but they are important, and you know what they say about details...

3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 7 of 25
21 July 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Rykketid wrote:

I had the same thought when I read the op. Far from fillers, all those little words
make a big difference in the meaning, and the general impression your Italian will
leave. Details are boring for many of us (myself included), but they are important, and
you know what they say about details...

My guess is that he just isn't aware of the correct terminology. His example words
range from preposition, conjugated verb, pronoun (or adverb, depending on use) to
demonstrative.

A better question probably would have been just to simply ask why/how/when these words
should be used.

Ci/ce/ne/ve seem to be particularly difficult for English-speaking learners of Italian.
I know it certainly took me a while to grasp them when I was starting out. He says he's
only been studying the language for 7 weeks, so I wouldn't expect him to know their
usage just yet. Exposure to them, yes, usage, not so much, but it'll come with more
exposure.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 21 July 2013 at 4:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5020 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 25
22 July 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:

My guess is that he just isn't aware of the correct terminology. His example words
range from preposition, conjugated verb, pronoun (or adverb, depending on use) to
demonstrative.

A better question probably would have been just to simply ask why/how/when these words
should be used.
==

Bobby1413, if Hrhenry's correct and part of the problem may lie with challenges you're facing
with English grammar, you may like to try something like this book: English Grammar for Students
of Italian
http://tinyurl.com/egfsoi.   (It's part of of a series, with other
titles for students of German, French, etc...)

I've also found the "Collins Easy Learning..." series both very accessible and useful as a supplement (for my
French).   There a number of slightly different titles, but if you type the above phrase and "Italian" into
Amazon, you'll have a choice of "Collins Easy Learning Italian Grammar", "...Easy Learning Italian Grammar
and Practice", "...Complete Italian Grammar, Verbs and Vocabulary".

Which course/series are you using as a primary resource for your Italian? (Is it not explaining the words
which you're thinking of as "filler"? )

Edited by songlines on 22 July 2013 at 3:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version