Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
erinserb
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7008 days ago

135 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
20 July 2013 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
Considering the quality of nearly all of the Assimil courses, does anyone have experience with this course(s)? I believe two in all, plus a Japanese writing course!
1 person has voted this message useful

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4089 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 2 of 7
20 July 2013 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Assimil Japanese is a decent course for you to build a solid foundation. I have no
experience with the Writing course though.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6784 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 3 of 7
20 July 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
The two-volume set, together, is actually just Japanese with Ease. I am not sure why
Assimil broke it up into two volumes, but the second volume is not an advanced book.

I have only started using Japanese with Ease last week, so I don't have any real
feedback. So far, I find it very slow and kind of boring. However, this might just be
the way that all Assimil books start out, since New French with Ease also starts off very
slow but then picks up the pace quickly.

From what I gather from prior discussion threads, Japanese with Ease doesn't take you as
far as other With Ease books, nor does the audio ever reach anything close to native
speed. To learn more, you might want to run a search for previous threads on this topic.

LanguagePhysics
United States
Joined 3958 days ago

34 posts - 43 votes

Message 4 of 7
20 July 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
From what I've read Assimil Japanese isn't that good because the Assimil method struggles to convey the politeness levels of Japanese in a way that makes it intuitive and easy to pick up.

Japanese tenses are also considerably different to Indo-European languages, and I don't think Assimil really explains them very well.

ikinaridango
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5937 days ago

61 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: German, Polish

Message 5 of 7
20 July 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I've not gone through the Japanese course systematically, as I was already quite far along with my Japanese studies by the time I discovered Assimil, but I have listened to the audio recordings and I can tell you without reservation that I wish I'd known about them when I first started learning the language. If you like the Assimil approach I imagine that Japanese with Ease will prove invaluable to your progress, with the usual caveat that Assimil alone will only take you so far.
2 persons have voted this message useful

erinserb
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 7008 days ago

135 posts - 144 votes 

Message 6 of 7
22 July 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
I would like to thank all here who gave their input, it does really help! My language
goals are set to learn French, while slow gathering Japanese material and briefing myself
to prepare for learning it within the next year. After many years, I believe I have a
level of commitment and a goal, instead of trying to decide which language(s)are good for
me. I love both cultures (France and Japan). I have been to Japan several times, but
not France :-) - yet!

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6191 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
23 July 2013 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
I've listened to later lessons of volume I briefly and the audio seems extremely slow.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version