12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Randwulf
United States
Joined 4702 days ago

32 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 12
20 July 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Now that I'm done studying German I thought I would share the resources I used in
learning German and hopefully that can help someone else do the same.

Deutsche Welle Link Government run broadcaster with
really excellent resources for learning German including courses for all levels of
learning. I used their course: Deutsch – Warum nicht?, Deutsch – Wieso nicht?, and
Marktplatz. I also watched their Telenovella Jojo sucht das Glück (great for jumping
into colloquial language after you can already understand formal stuff reasonably well)
and I listened to their slowly spoken news daily. I also read the Top Thema articles
(intermediate) and watched a lot of the Video Thema videos (upper intermediate -
advanced)

ELanguageSchool Link If
you want to get your feet a little wet for free, this is a well-made introduction to
German grammar that teaches the basics. They also have some Grimm Brothers fairy tales
with vocab lists, a good place to start your foray into genuine literature.

German Made Simple by Arnold Leitner While ELanguageSchool helped me
convince myself that I did in fact want to learn German, this book is where I built a
foundation strong enough to build upon. Its treatment of the grammar is quite complete
and it is laid-back enough to not kill you. It doesn't go into nearly the depth a
textbook would, but for someone who really wants to get into genuine material as
quickly as possible, I think this is a good turbo-boost-start.

Graded Readers I bought 88 of these, but a friend of mine told me you can
download all of them in a collection for free on the internet somewhere, however that
works! *winky face* Personally I couldn't bare the A1 level books. They just seemed so
stupid. It picked up a little in A2, and in B1 it finally felt like I was reading
actual stories and they were pretty ok.

MySpass.de Link A treasure trove and the most fun
way to learn ever! This site has tons of TV shows in German. I watched all of their
Eroberer Zim, Spongebob Schwammkopf, and Axel Will's Wissen, for a grand total of
probably like 60 hours of TV. And there's tons more, more than one person could ever
watch. I found cartoons to be the easiest to understand, and I couldn't stand dubbed
stuff because it threw me off kilter the way their lips moved.

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen The first genuine novel I read in German
and I think a pretty good choice for it. It's just such an excellent story that even
though I was struggling pretty bad with the language I could hardly put it down. That's
the kind of book you need for your first novel, and preferably something in the young
adult category. After that I read two more novels, Die Lügen des Locke Lamora (it's
like 1000 pages so maybe it's worth three novels) and Verblendung (The Girl with the
Dragon Tattoo). After getting through those three books I never really felt the need to
bother with a dictionary anymore while reading further novels.

Amerika Forum Link This is a site where
Germans post stuff about the US and I ended up reading a ton of vacation-reports there.
I thought it was very interesting to see what they go through adventuring in my
country!

NDR TV Link Internet-accessible TV station that mostly
airs news and documentaries. Very clearly spoken, formal stuff mostly, and interesting.
They have some good reality TV show type things as well. One I really liked was about
one of their reporters who hitchhikes with his trailer. So he flags people down and
asks them to hitch up his trailer and give him a lift towards his destination. He
always meets some interesting folk and sees some interesting stuff on the way.

Tagesschau Link Another news station, extremely
popular in Germany. This one does several very predictable reports every day:
Tagesschau 20 Uhr, Nachtmagazin, and Tagesthemen. If you watch all of those every day
you'll know everything that's going on in the world and your German will improve
quickly to boot!

Langensheidt Basic Vocabulary This book contains the most
common 4000 words in the German language with examples. I liked to thumb through it on
the train or in other short periods of peace.

Interpals Link Whether on this site or somewhere
else, see
about getting a pen pal. Preferably one who doesn't want to practice their English with
you. This is rare but I got extremely lucky with a penpal who never wants to practice
English with me and writes me like a gigantic 3000 word email every week. Once upon a
time I could only write about 200 words per hour in response, while agonizing over the
grammar to try to make it perfect. Now it's more like 1000-1500 words per hour and
where I used to torture myself over grammar I don't need to anymore.

If I remember any more I used I'll edit and I hope this helps someone.

Edited by Randwulf on 21 July 2013 at 3:40pm

31 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4168 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 12
21 July 2013 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

KevinHsu
Triglot
Canada
Joined 3980 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, Korean
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 3 of 12
21 July 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the compilation! I will definitely be following your recommendations :)

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3983 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 4 of 12
21 July 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I also (ahem) acquired these graded readers (the chances of me finding any legitimate copies in Vietnam are zero, to be fair) but I haven't started them yet because I'm just coming to the end of Pimsleur 1. I've read a few in English though with my students, and I really like them. Especially sets of short stories, where the vocab of a particular theme is repeated in different contexts. When you get to higher levels, you can also get graded versions of classics like Dickens and the Bronte sisters.

One of the main reason I'm more excited to learn German than Vietnamese is the sheer volume of great cultural products out there. I also can't stand dubbed films though (I even refused to watch the animated Ghibli films unless they were subtitled rather than dubbed). But why would you need any where Germany has such a rich film history itself. There's some fantastic films and if you can get hold of it, Heimat is supposedly one of the best (and longest) drama series ever.

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6170 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 5 of 12
22 July 2013 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks for these resources. Do you know where you can find German programs with German subtitles? I
started watching Jojo sucht Das Glück which seems allright.

Also how do you mean you're done studying German? You don't plan to keep it up somehow?

Edited by anime on 22 July 2013 at 2:44am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 6 of 12
22 July 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
A great list, Randwulf.

I would like to add:

WDR podcasts

Schlaflos in München

Jena Campus Radio

In the same vein as Harry Potter, some people might be interested in the novels of Cornelia Funke:

Tintenblut

3 persons have voted this message useful

Randwulf
United States
Joined 4702 days ago

32 posts - 93 votes 

Message 7 of 12
22 July 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
anime wrote:
Thanks for these resources. Do you know where you can find German
programs with German subtitles? I
started watching Jojo sucht Das Glück which seems allright.

Also how do you mean you're done studying German? You don't plan to keep it up somehow?

Well, a friend told me that there is a website called anime-loads.org where one can get
tons of anime dubbed and subbed in German. I noticed your username and question and
that came to mind!

I'll still read the occasional book in German and go to meetups and stuff, but I am no
longer going to be actively studying it and I will just try to maintain my current
level.

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6170 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 8 of 12
25 July 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Okey, thanks, I tried to download Akira but got redirected to some other webpage where I couldn't find it. Do
you know how it works? I finished Jojo sucht das Glück, it was really good for acquiring new vocabulary.
Unfortunately it finished like two years ago. I will try Lindenstraße, which is a soap opera that has been
running for years, where new episodes are posted on youtube with subtitles.

Does anybody know of any French soap operas with subtitles by the way?

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version