United States
I don't have &#Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4036 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 1 of 3
22 July 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Right now I'm collecting materials for languages I will learn in the near future. I'm at a point in Spanish where I can
just use native materials, and while I want to learn french in the future I think I have that covered material wise. I
have been hammering at Mandarin for a while but I feel I need more materials. As of right now:
Mandarin:
Teach Yourself Mandarin and Chinese Characters (done)
Assimil Chinese (half way through)
Pimsleur Chinese (on and off on that, might drop that)
Chinese Linguaphone from 1990
FSI (DLI if needed) Chinese
I was wondering if there are any character books that would be recommended? I want to learn both simplified and
traditional

MSA Arabic:
Teach Yourself Arabic from the 1962 and 1986 (this one has audio)
the Arabic Linguaphone course from Professor Arguelles video from the 70s
FSI (only course two on the site has audio) and DLI Arabic
DLI Egyptian

Russian:
teach yourself russian
assimil without toil
assimil with ease
Linguaphone from 1990
Linguaphone from 1963 but no English translations
Hugo russian in three months for grammar
DLI Russian

and Im going to use Skype Language Exchange for all of them like I do for Spanish
are these materials good enough to get me into a level I can start using native materials? Any recommendations?
1 person has voted this message useful

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4254 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 2 of 3
22 July 2013 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I bought this book for learning Chinese characters and it covers 1000, which is about 30% more than
what you need to pass the HSK Level 1. Tuttle published it, it's called Tuttle Learning Chinese Characters,
Vol. 1. I'm only 7/40 chapters through as I had to put it on the backburner since hiring a Persian tutor,
but I intend to return to it. It's quite well formatted and very clear and provides a lot of hints and ample
yet sufficient explanations for characters. I can't wait for the next volume.

I would advise to avoid the Teach Yourself Chinese characters book. I got about 6/10 chapters through
and then it asked me to translate whole sentences from Chinese and I was quite unsure how I was
supposed to surmount that challenge considering the first couple of chapters are teaching the most
basic elements of characters. I'll return to it and hopefully finish it after I'm done the Tuttle book, but it
was disappointing to be shut off from essentially half the book because the difficulty inclines so sharply.

Reviewing your message, I see you said you were able to finish it. How? I want to so bad!

Ogedi
Triglot
United States
I don't have &#Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4036 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 3 of 3
23 July 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
THANK YOU
I will look into that book when I have time.
Did you finish the Teach Yourself Mandarin? I had gone through that first before using the character book. It is a
steep climb when you get to that chapter but I think finishing the first book helped me get passed that. I also had a
online Chinese dictionary as well that helped.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version