Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5365 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 9 of 14
29 July 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
There is a historical background to these texts, which represent a particular point in Latin pedagogy. The
purpose of the Locke - Taylor - Hamiltonian interlinears was not to present 'real' Ceasar or to show the
grammatical structure of Latin by hyper literal translation. It was to provide a wide vocabulary and a
simplified grammatical order (a comprehensible input, even) for elementary (English) learners of Latin. The
idea was that one would tackle real' Ceasar and real grammar later on.   The method was used historically
prior to to the philological revolution of the 19th century - save the Taylor editions - Taylor was printer to
University College London, an anti-Anglican establishment and Taylor was printing these beginners texts in
resistance to the largely Anglican/Oxbridge drive for a grammatically driven approach to elementary Latin
learning. I think the method only appears 'odd' today because the philological tradition won the argument and
so we today feel the only approach is to start with 'real' texts and to approach the learning of Latin by a
grammar-translation approach.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5365 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 14
29 July 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
(I should say I am not defending this type of interlinear as a modern method of learning
Latin - but we should understand their place in history before totally knocking them)
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 14
30 July 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I'm slightly surprised that the original purpose should be the acquisition of vocabulary, because the interlinear setup has its particular strength in the short-range syntactical and morphological analysis - though the free wordorder of precisely Latin might be a problem. But the use of bilingual texts in any setup is a very efficient method for vocabulary acquisition, and it is a shame that the pedagogical community didn't accept them wholeheartedly long ago. Maybe teachers saw the method as cheating?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4612 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 12 of 14
31 July 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
With my deepest respect to all things British, I still believe that the book of Finch (cf. google preview in my previous post; his interlinear translation is not that terrible) is better than that of Hamilton. And the (expanded) method of interlinear translation he uses. Even to poor little children.

Anyway, would interlinear translation of "Ich nicht verstehe dich, weil ich verstehe nur English" is easier to understand for a little anglophone than "Ich verstehe dich nicht, weil ich nur Englisch verstehe"?

Unless the languages are very closely related, you cannot do without grammatical explanation. Ilya Frank's Latin book is a good example of that. For instance, Russian does not use Subjunctive that often as Latin does. Perhaps Spanish would be more useful in this regard.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6040 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 14 of 14
06 August 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
It has been done in recent years for Homer.

The Chicago Homer

//aloysius

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version