Studies: Tagalog

Message 73 of 384
06 September 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Total for today: 163 minutes

talk to someone: 75 minutes
- Skype exchange
- Skype tutoring session

listen to something: no
I think that today is the first time since the six-week challenge began that I didn't watch or listen to anything! Will
have to correct that tomorrow...

read something: 20 minutes
- Harry Potter

write something: 56 minutes
- email to my tutor
- Practice Makes Perfect - almost finished with the chapter on imperfect! It's much easier than preterite was.

practice vocabulary: 12 minutes
- anki
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 74 of 384
06 September 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Hi Stelle,

I think I looked at your log because you were obviously aiming to make quick progess,
and it's always exciting to "watch" something like that. From the various comments, it
looks like you are achieving that.

What I wanted to say was thanks for the useful phrase "tandem reading" which you used
somewhere upthread (in contrast with "parallel reading" perhaps). (Maybe technically,
that should be "downthread" (by analogy with "downstream"), but perhaps I'm
overthinking, as usual. :-) ).

If it's what I think it means, it's something I do quite often (between German and
English mostly....sometimes Danish, in my case), but I didn't really have a name for
it. I might have called it "parallel reading", but that might imply parallel texts, but
that's not what I use, most of the time.

Hasta luego.

Edited by montmorency on 06 September 2013 at 10:58pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish

Message 75 of 384
07 September 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Hi Stelle,

I think I looked at your log because you were obviously aiming to make quick progess,
and it's always exciting to "watch" something like that. From the various comments, it
looks like you are achieving that.

What I wanted to say was thanks for the useful phrase "tandem reading" which you used
somewhere upthread (in contrast with "parallel reading" perhaps). (Maybe technically,
that should be "downthread" (by analogy with "downstream"), but perhaps I'm
overthinking, as usual. :-) ).

If it's what I think it means, it's something I do quite often (between German and
English mostly....sometimes Danish, in my case), but I didn't really have a name for
it. I might have called it "parallel reading", but that might imply parallel texts, but
that's not what I use, most of the time.

Hasta luego.

Hmmm...what do you think it means? I think it might mean the same as "parallel reading", but I'm not quite sure!
What I do is read a short passage (3-4 paragraphs) in Spanish that's a touch too difficult for me, and then the
same paragraphs in English - or the other way around. Depends on the day and how I'm feeling. I have two
copies of the same book. I call it "tandem reading" because one's pulling the other along. And because I like how
it sounds. ;)

Anyway, you're welcome to use the phrase to mean whatever you'd like it to mean! Ha!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 76 of 384
07 September 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Today: 258 minutes

I didn't work today, which left lots of time for Spanish! As understanding Spanish gets easier for me, it's easy to
rack up the minutes. Watching an episode of a TV show is a really easy way to log an hour of language practice.
It's also easy to rack up the minutes when I have Skype conversations with two people in one day.

Talk to someone: 90 minutes
- Skype language exchange
- Skype tutoring session

Listen to something: 55 minutes
- 1/2 of episode 2 of Missing (no subtitles)
- episode 38 of Destinos

Read something: 36 minutes
- Despereaux (intensive reading)
- Harry Potter (tandem reading)

Write something: 33 minutes
- Practice Makes Perfect - finished with imperfect. Will work on pronouns for the next few days. During my last
few conversations, I've found myself stuck on when to use "lo", "les", "la", "le" - that's a sign to me that it's time to
start working on them!

Practice vocabulary: 44 minutes
- anki
- duolingo

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 77 of 384
08 September 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
total for yesterday: 133 minutes

talk to someone: no

listen to something: 50 minutes
- Destinos episode 39
- Desaparecido half of episode 2 (w/o subtitles)

- Harry Potter. I'm still tandem reading, except that I'm already finding it easier - probably because I'm becoming
more accustomed to the rhythm and language. Instead of reading English then Spanish, I'm now reading Spanish
first and only reading the passage in English if I don't understand it.

write something: 45
- homework from my tutor (using linking words)
- reviewing all of the work that I've done on imperfect, inputting a lot of sentences into anti

practice vocabulary: 18 minutes
- anki

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 78 of 384
09 September 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
I spent a long time reviewing and adding sentences from Practice Makes Perfect to anki today. I'm not sure if the
way that I'm studying grammar is the "best", but it seems to be working well for me. Practice Makes Perfect is an
American series of Spanish grammar books that rely heavily on translation - so it introduces a grammar concept,
and then you apply it by translating English sentences and paragraphs into Spanish.

I've been going through a chapter of the book, and then a few days later, I choose some key sentences that
illustrate the concept that I've learned. I'll type the sentence in English on one side of my anki card, translate it
into Spanish on the other side, check my answer, and then add it to the deck. So by the time it enters my deck,
I've already translated the sentence twice in writing. Then, when the card shows up during my regular anki
reviews, I read the English sentence, say the Spanish sentence aloud, then "flip" the card and read it aloud to
check my answer.

Here's an example of one of the sentences that I inputted today:

front of card (English): I learned how to ride a bike when I was six years old.
back of card (Spanish): Aprendí a montar en bicicleta cuando tenía seis años.

This week I worked on imperfect, which had quite a bit of meat to it. I finished reviewing and inputting my
sentences today, and next week I'll work on pronouns a bit.

total for today: 201 minutes

talk to someone: 60 minutes
- one-hour Skype conversation

listen to something: 33 minutes
- Destinos episode 40
- Notes in Spanish: 1 advanced podcast

read something: 35 minutes
- Despereaux (intensive reading)

write something: 37 minutes
- reviewing practice makes perfect, adding sentences to anki

practice vocabulary: 36 minutes
- anki
- duolingo

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 79 of 384
10 September 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Total for yesterday: 221 minutes

talk to someone: 20 minutes
- Skype conversation with my dad

listen to something: 115 minutes
- songs
- Destinos episode 41
- Notes in Spanish: 2 advanced podcasts
- Desaparecida - 1/2 of episode 3. I'm now tandem watching Missing, and I absolutely love it! The first 2
episodes, I watched the episode in full with English subtitles, and then again without subtitles. But I was getting
impatient - I wanted to know what happened next, and re-watching the whole episode felt a bit frustrating. Now
I watch a scene (anywhere from 1 to 6 minutes) with English subtitles, and then immediately rewatch the scene
without subtitles. It's perfect! I'm understanding a lot more of the Spanish, and the story is moving along. I don't
even really feel like I'm watching the episode twice, although I am. Yesterday it took me an hour to get through
30 minutes of episode 3. I'll probably finish episode 3 today - I ended yesterday on a bit of a cliffhanger!

- Harry Potter. I'm understanding more and more of the Spanish text, and need to refer to the English less often.
I'm hoping to receive my latest order (2 Roald Dahl books) sometime this week. I think that once I get them, I'll
put away HP for now, read the other two books (should take me a couple of weeks), and then come back to HP -
hopefully with more skills, which will make reading HP more effective. I strongly believe in the importance of
reading comprehensible text!

write something: 47 minutes
- email
- Practice Makes Perfect - adjectives as pronouns. Useful stuff.

practice vocabulary: 19 minutes
- anki. I miss the days when anki took me 10 minutes to breeze through. I still enjoy anki, and it makes sense
that review time would get longer - since I'm adding so many new words every day. But I dread the day when it
hits the half hour mark. I think that will be my limit. Any more than 30 minutes per day, and I'm pretty sure my
motivation would start to waver.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 80 of 384
11 September 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
I think the 6-week challenge ends today. I'm going to have to decide whether or not to keep track of my minutes
after today.

Yesterday: 127 minutes

talk to someone: 10 minutes
- short Skype conversation

listen to something: 65 minutes
- second half of episode 3 of Desaparecida (tandem watching with and w/o English subtitles)

read something: no - for the first time in ages!

write something: 30 minutes
- future tense

practice vocabulary: 22 minutes
- anki

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version