kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 113 of 384
27 November 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Stelle, I understand what you mean about your native language going down the drain when you are in a monolingual society of another language. I teach English here in Japan, and every now and then I notice how my English has become simplified. I've learned that it is important for me to budget enough time for me to improve my own native language every day - especially as an English teacher. So I applaud your efforts to improve and maintain a high level in your native language.

EDIT: By the way, how have you been doing with your plan to read something every day, listen every day, etc.? Have you been able to, for the most part, stick with it?

Also, I'm interested in how you set up your Anki cards now. Words or sentences - or both? I have a sentence on the front of the card, with the word I'm learning and an L1 or L2 definition on the back.

Edited by kujichagulia on 27 November 2013 at 2:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 114 of 384
27 November 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Question: when people start learning a new language, do they start a new log? Or will I just tack Tagalog onto this one come May?
It's up to you :) If you want a fresh start, you can start a new one. Otherwise you can edit the first post to rename your log. It's also allowed to have several logs for several languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 115 of 384
27 November 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
By the way, how have you been doing with your plan to read something every day, listen
every day, etc.? Have you been able to, for the most part, stick with it?

My plan works well for my learning style and needs, except that I've pretty much dropped writing something
every day. I do need to get back into some explicit grammar study, since I'm having a hard time picking up on a few
of the grammar points implicitly - namely passive verbs, past subjunctive, and por/para.

kujichagulia wrote:
Also, I'm interested in how you set up your Anki cards now. Words or sentences - or both? I
have a sentence on the front of the card, with the word I'm learning and an L1 or L2 definition on the back.

I haven't done anything different with anki. I still add new words L1 -> L2. I'm honestly not sure if that's the best
way to do it…I know that translating isn't the best long-term plan.

Edited by Stelle on 27 November 2013 at 10:22pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 116 of 384
27 November 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Stelle wrote:
Question: when people start learning a new language, do they start a new log?
Or will I just tack Tagalog onto this one come May?
It's up to you :) If you want a fresh start, you can start a
new one. Otherwise you can edit the first post to rename your log. It's also allowed to have several logs for several
languages.

Thanks!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 117 of 384
28 November 2013 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I do need to get back into some explicit grammar study, since I'm having a hard time picking up on a few
of the grammar points implicitly - namely passive verbs, past subjunctive, and por/para.

Ugh... I'm dreading getting into passive verbs and the subjunctive in Portuguese, but at the same time it's kind of exciting.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 118 of 384
29 November 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Isabel season 2 is now available on Drama Fever!

Isabel

If you're looking for a Spanish TV show, and you're interested in historical dramas, then this one is a must watch.
The costumes are beautiful, the actors are great, and the story is engrossing. It uses an older Spanish, which is a
bit
odd at first - lots of "vos". But it's easy to follow, and there are optional English subtitles. Warning: this show is
highly addictive!

Edited to add: only the first two episodes of season 2 are currently available. Hopefully they'll put up new ones
soon!

Edited by Stelle on 29 November 2013 at 12:35pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 119 of 384
13 December 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm two chapters away from finishing the first Harry Potter book. Advances at the intermediate stage come so
slowly that it almost feels like I'm stagnating - but then I remember that I completely abandoned this same book
just a few months ago because it was too hard. Now, I can read with full understanding without stopping to
check up words. Once in a while I have to re-read a sentence or two, but I'm always able to puzzle it out.

Last night I ended up on the BBC Mundo site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo/), and ended up spending 40
minutes reading news articles. My reading is definitely improving faster than any of my other skills.

I do love the synergy of using a variety of different sources! The other day I was listening to a Notes in Spanish
Solid Gold podcast (which, by the way, I highly recommend), and I liked the verb atreverse (to dare). I added it to
anki, and then - all within a few days - read it in Harry Potter, saw it in a quote in a BBC Mundo article AND heard
in a song. Seeing the same word in four completely different contexts really helped me to solidify its meaning.

I'm a bit frustrated that my spoken Spanish doesn't seem to be improving. It's ok, but I find myself searching for
words and trying to construct complex sentences when simple ones would do. I know that this is just a plateau,
and that there's only one thing that will help me get past it: lots and lots of conversation. The problem is that I
just don't have any more time to put into Skype! I'm still managing between two and three hours of Spanish
conversation every week, but I definitely experienced quicker gains when I was talking nearly every day.

I'm at lesson 29 of FSI. So far so good. I'm getting through the FSI lessons a lot more slowly because it's so
stinking cold. I do FSI exclusively while walking, and I can't walk for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time now
without giving up and going home. It's probably not a terrible thing that I have to slow down a bit - 2 lessons a
week is probably more reasonable than a lesson every day.

I'm still watching BUFFY LA CAZAVAMPIROS a few times a week. As I get more accustomed to each voice actor's
style, I understand more and more. I particularly like the voice actor for Willow! I'm also pretty much over my
snobbiness with regards to dubbed materials. I'd really like to watch the Harry Potter movies in Spanish after
reading each book - especially since I heard that the voice actor for Hermione is the actress who plays Isabel -
but my DVDs only have the movies in French and English. It doesn't seem worth the expense to order DVDs from
the States, just to have the Spanish dubbing. But I'm tempted.

Overall…things are going well! This weekend they're calling for a snowstorm. Sounds like the perfect occasion for
tea and books and TV!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 120 of 384
15 December 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
And the snow is falling…and falling…and falling. I brought my laptop to the window to show my Skype Spanish
tutor this morning. She was shocked at the sight!

I have a steaming cup of tea, and am about to curl up in the armchair next to the Christmas tree with the last two
chapters of Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal.

Tengo mucha suerte.

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version