tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 161 of 384
17 January 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
I'm enjoying your log, I think you have good ideas about things like reading and speaking and it
looks like they're working! I've been learning Spanish for a few weeks now, and I've tried the early speaking
approach and had a few conversations, but they've been pretty difficult. I'm wondering whether it's just because
conversing in Spanish is new to me and I'm not used to it, or if it's just that my knowledge isn't very high yet.
Probably a bit of both. But like I say it's very early days!

I think you're right - it's probably a bit of both. Don't give up…you'll be surprised at how quickly you progress!
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 162 of 384
17 January 2014 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Stelle wrote:
I purchased my DVDs in Canada. The first two seasons
have French
and English, and the rest have Spanish. If you
bought the DVDs in the States, then maybe Spanish dubbing will start at season one?

That's true. DVDs here seem to vary between English+French, English+Spanish, and
English+French+Spanish depending on where they plan to sell the disc. If I remember,
I'll check when I get home and see what languages are available on my copies of Buffy
and
Angel (for the seasons I have anyway).

I finally located these recently and checked them today. Apparently I only got to Season
1 of each series before I stopped buying them.

Buffy Season 1:
Audio = English, French
Subtitles = English, French, Spanish

Angel Season 1:
Audio = English, French, Spanish
Subtitles = English, French*, Spanish

Given the delay of when Angel started airing (about half-way through the Buffy series, I
believe), the US may have gotten the same release as Canada for these based on the
language info on my copies above and your observation that Buffy added Spanish as an
audio language in Season 3.

In fact I wonder... {quick search of Google then back to the forum} Searching around the
web I did find a torrent claiming to be Buffy season 1 with English and Spanish audio
however, it also noted it had Spanish-only menus and is PAL (not NTSC), so it obviously
was not from a US release disc.

EDIT: I went to rip Angel Season 1 and the box was incorrect, it has all three languages
available as both audio and subtitle tracks. The box implied that the only subtitle tracks
were English and Spanish.

*EDIT #2: Upon looking further only some episodes have all 3 subtitle languages; others
only have 2. Odd that it isn't consistent, but that explains the lack of a mention on the
box.

Edited by Warp3 on 17 January 2014 at 3:30am

2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3778 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 163 of 384
17 January 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
FYI, I was watching an episode of Angel in Spanish and I was disappointed because they used some improper "spanglish" or whatever terminology so I stopped watching it in Spanish. Something incorrect like, "estoy consciente" (when "soy consciente" should be used in situations that DON'T have to do with your physical consciousness) or "el televisor está trabajando" or something nasty like that.

Just keep your eyes peeled for mistakes.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3787 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 164 of 384
17 January 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
By the way, is the Spanish on the Buffy DVDs Latin American or European? I've found both
online and generally prefer Latin American, but it's much easier to find the European
dub.

As for after FSI, audiobooks are great, but I usually end up listening to podcasts.
ivoox.com has loads to choose from and it's really nice to have a couple options ready to
go. When no one is looking, I try shadowing, but it looks like I'm a crazy person.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 165 of 384
18 January 2014 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
@Warp3, I honestly don't find the Spanish subtitles very useful. They don't match the words being spoken, so they're
more distracting than anything else. If you can find the first few seasons of Buffy, I think it would be better than
starting at season 3. The show is much better if you get to know the characters.

@culebrilla, thanks for the heads-up! I think that my level is not quite high enough to catch mistakes, so I'm not too
concerned about it at this point. But I'll definitely pay attention!

@evilado, my DVDs are Latin America. I wish they were castillano! But I really like the voice actors, so I'm enjoying
the show a lot!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 166 of 384
18 January 2014 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
@Warp3, I honestly don't find the Spanish subtitles very useful. They
don't match the words being spoken, so they're
more distracting than anything else.

Yeah, I read some reviews saying that. It sounds like the Office Space DVD where the
Spanish subtitles and Spanish audio were so far off it makes you suspect that each was
translated in complete isolation from the other.

Quote:
If you can find the first few seasons of Buffy, I think it would be better than
starting at season 3. The show is much better if you get to know the characters.

When those two shows were originally on the air, I watched both religiously until their
runs ended, so I've got that part pretty well covered. ;)

Edited by Warp3 on 18 January 2014 at 4:02am

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 167 of 384
18 January 2014 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Yeah, I read some reviews saying that. It sounds like the Office Space DVD where the
Spanish subtitles and Spanish audio were so far off it makes you suspect that each was
translated in complete isolation from the other.

I think that's exactly what it is. The subtitles were made for Spanish-speakers watching in English. And then some
other company took care of the dubbing. Both are translations - but they're different translations. Anyway, I'm
loving Buffy in Spanish! Since you're already a fan, I think that you will too!

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3778 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 168 of 384
19 January 2014 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I just wanted to say Stelle that I saw one your your monologue videos when you were five months or so into your Spanish learning and you honestly impressed me! And I'm extremely honest and hard to impress. I wonder how good your Spanish would be right now. :)

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version