tobefluent.com
Joined 3929 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 169 of 384
19 January 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:
I just wanted to say Stelle that I saw one your your monologue videos when you were five
months or so into your Spanish learning and you honestly impressed me! And I'm extremely honest and hard to
impress. I wonder how good your Spanish would be right now. :)

Thanks for the kind words! I made videos at 2 months and 3 months, so you probably saw the 3 month video. I'm
almost at 8 months of Spanish study now. I was originally thinking about putting up videos every month, but the
truth is that I feel very odd and narcissistic recording myself speaking.

I honestly don't know how much I've improved since that last video. I'm better than I was, but my progress has
definitely slowed down with regards to speaking. My listening and reading skills have grown by leaps and bounds,
but I do feel that my active skills are a bit stalled at the moment. That's part of the reason why I'm forcing myself to
write more often in Spanish, even though I don't particularly enjoy doing it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3929 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 170 of 384
19 January 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
I planned on being completely done with "learn Spanish" resources before the end of 2013 - but that obviously
didn't happen.

I only have six chapters left to go in my Spanish verb tenses book (or, if you're more of a "glass half-empty"
person, substitute "still" for "only"): imperfect subjunctive, future perfect, conditional perfect, present perfect
subjunctive, pluperfect subjunctive and passive voice. (Did anyone else just hear the Charlie Brown teacher saying
"wah wah wah wah"?)

I always advocate using native materials as soon as possible, but I'm not anti-grammar. I think that grammar is
important if you want to speak well. I just don't think that grammar is the same as language. My goal is to
communicate (and to communicate clearly and eloquently). Grammar is a tool that will help me get there. So
imperfect subjunctive, here I come!

I'm almost finished with the Duolingo skill tree (another resource that I planned on finishing before the beginning
of 2014. Oops.) While I stand by Duolingo's usefulness for beginners, I'm not convinced that it's all that helpful
for more advanced learners. According to Duolingo, I "learned imperfect and subjunctive" in 3 brief lessons and
about 14 minutes. I'm a superstar! (And also a big fat liar. There's *no way* that a person could master the
subjunctive *and* the imperative in less than a quarter of an hour.) I could probably just quit Duolingo now
without losing much value, but I only have six skills left to work through. I enjoy it, so I'll finish it.

Despite the fact that it's no longer as useful to me as it once was, I do think that Duolingo can be a valuable
resource for anyone learning Spanish.

Here's a review of Duolingo that I put up on my blog a few days ago:

Duolingo
review

The other "learning Spanish" resource that I'm still using is Notes in Spanish. I'm about halfway through season
one of Gold Audio. I'm still enjoying the podcasts, and fully intend to finish both seasons of Gold. I've decided to
start counting 5 episodes of NiS as one tv episode (maximum of one per week), since they're about 10-12
minutes each.

2014 Spanish challenge, week three:

100 45-minute TV shows: 4 (13/100)
2 episode of Buffy (3.9, 3.10)
2 episodes of The Simpsons (2.3, 2.4) - counts as 1 for tracking purposes
5x Notes in Spanish Gold

100 Skype conversations: 2 (7/100)
30 minutes with my Dad
60 minutes with a Skype tutor

100 short texts: 1 (5/100)
text posted to Lang-8

14 novels: 0 (1/14)
up to page 87 in the first Percy Jackson book

Edited by Stelle on 20 January 2014 at 12:51am

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5160 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 171 of 384
20 January 2014 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
How do you like the Percy Jackson book? I have the first book of the series and might try reading it. I wish there was an audio book for that series.

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4344 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German

Message 172 of 384
20 January 2014 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Hello! I hope you don't mind a stranger writing in your blog :) but I just saw that you're planning on doing the Camino de Santiago! I really want to do the camino as well (I'm hoping to go either this summer or the next), so I'd love to hear how your experience goes. Good luck with your studies!

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3777 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 173 of 384
20 January 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:

2014 Spanish challenge, week three:

100 45-minute TV shows: 4 (13/100)
2 episode of Buffy (3.9, 3.10)
2 episodes of The Simpsons (2.3, 2.4) - counts as 1 for tracking purposes
5x Notes in Spanish Gold

100 Skype conversations: 2 (7/100)
30 minutes with my Dad
60 minutes with a Skype tutor

100 short texts: 1 (5/100)
text posted to Lang-8

14 novels: 0 (1/14)
up to page 87 in the first Percy Jackson book

Hola Stelle,

Thank you for responding to my logbook post. I read your review of Duolingo on your blog. That's a great blog.

I thought my goals were ambitious. Yours are amazing. ¡Buena Suerte!

Where do live in Canada? My father was from Newfoundland, and I have dual Canadian-American citizenship. I lived in Montréal in the late sixties.

All the best,
Tomás

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3929 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 174 of 384
20 January 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
@James29, I really like it now that I'm a few chapters in! I wasn't convinced through most of the first chapter. It
took me some time to get used to the voice. Now, I'm completely drawn into the story. I think it's comparable in
difficulty to the first Harry Potter book.

@anamsc2, thanks for saying hello! I'm very excited to walk the camino - and I'll definitely post here about my
experiences. My favourite forum for Camino planning is
this one.

@tomgosse, thanks! Honestly, my goals look bigger than they are. I can meet them fully in about an hour a day.
The only one I'm not sure about is reading 14 novels. I hope to make it, but we'll see! My Mom grew up in
Montreal (that's the English side of the family) , and my Dad's family (where I got my French) is from
Ottawa/Northern Ontario. My husband and I live in Nova Scotia right now. We were in Newfoundland this summer
- what an absolutely amazing place!!!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 175 of 384
22 January 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
@evilado, my DVDs are Latin America. I wish they were castillano! But I
really like the voice actors, so I'm enjoying the show a lot!

I'm not sure if you've been reading my log, but I made a few posts recently noting that
I've started watching Buffy en español now (and blew through the first 4 episodes on
Saturday alone).

Regarding the comment quoted above, I'm now positive there are multiple copies of
Spanish audio for this series out there (so you should be able to find the other versions
if you prefer). I had to switch sources after episode 4 (since the first source I found was
apparently only a rip of disc 1) and the voices in episode 5 (which I'm watching right now
but paused long enough to post this) are *very* different from what I've been hearing in
1-4 (which was quite jarring at first as I'd gotten rather used to their "Spanish voices"
already). I was already suspecting that what I was hearing in episodes 1-4 was
continental Spanish (especially the voice actor for Giles which had a slightly more
noticeable "th" sound than the other voice actors) and I think this episode confirms that
suspicion as what I'm hearing now is most definitely Latin American / North American
Spanish. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if some of the voice actors in this episode are
some of the same ones from the Office Space DVD since I swear I recognize several of
the voices from that movie.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3929 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 176 of 384
22 January 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Stelle wrote:
@evilado, my DVDs are Latin America. I wish they were castillano! But I
really like the voice actors, so I'm enjoying the show a lot!

I'm not sure if you've been reading my log, but I made a few posts recently noting that
I've started watching Buffy en español now (and blew through the first 4 episodes on
Saturday alone).

Regarding the comment quoted above, I'm now positive there are multiple copies of
Spanish audio for this series out there (so you should be able to find the other versions
if you prefer). I had to switch sources after episode 4 (since the first source I found was
apparently only a rip of disc 1) and the voices in episode 5 (which I'm watching right now
but paused long enough to post this) are *very* different from what I've been hearing in
1-4 (which was quite jarring at first as I'd gotten rather used to their "Spanish voices"
already). I was already suspecting that what I was hearing in episodes 1-4 was
continental Spanish (especially the voice actor for Giles which had a slightly more
noticeable "th" sound than the other voice actors) and I think this episode confirms that
suspicion as what I'm hearing now is most definitely Latin American / North American
Spanish. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if some of the voice actors in this episode are
some of the same ones from the Office Space DVD since I swear I recognize several of
the voices from that movie.

Interesting! I'm still on season 3 (which is the first season that I own with Spanish audio). I expect that the
following seasons will have the same voice actors. I hope they do, since I'm very comfortable with their speech
patterns now. Well, except for Xander and Cordelia. I find them a bit harder to focus on. Anyway, I'm positive that
my audio is the Latin American version, since there's no Continental Spanish accent at all.

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version