Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 281 of 384
29 June 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm using Safari (on a Mac). I don't mind not being able to put links in paragraphs - but I am bothered by broken
links or odd line breaks. I'll try using bitly to shorten links.

Back to Spanish…I listened to two great podcasts this weekend! Both are from Spain and both feature a variety of
different speakers and topics.

Fallo de Sistema
Weekly hour-long podcast about all things geek - science fiction, video games, fantasy and fun pop culture
geekery. I listened to a podcast today about Sherlock Holmes in TV and in video games - good music, sound
clips, interviews, etc. Lots of fun! (via my tutor: "friki" is the word that they use for geek in Spain)

Futuro Abierto
Weekly hour-long podcast about current issues. Interviews, debates, information, etc. Yesterday I listened to a
show about air pollution. Very interesting!

Edited by Stelle on 29 June 2014 at 10:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 282 of 384
03 July 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Another really good podcast on RTVE:

Nómadas
Weekly hour-long documentary-style travel podcast. It's really engaging and filled with sound: music, people
speaking the language of the country, nature sounds. It has interviews, stories, reports, songs, etc. Excellent!
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 283 of 384
04 July 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
"Nómadas" rocks! That's what I mean by a podcast- long, interesting and better than television because it paints pictures with words. I've been listening to it for a few years now. :)

4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 284 of 384
04 July 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
It really is wonderful! And - because it's so interesting - my attention doesn't wander at all and I find it very easy
to understand.

Do you know of any other documentary-style podcasts that are similar - not necessarily in topic, but in format?

So far, I've listened to (and enjoyed):

Nómadas
Futuro Abierto
A Hombros de Gigantes
Fallo de Sistema
Un Idioma Sin Fronteras

They're all good, but Nómadas is by far my favourite!

Edited by Stelle on 04 July 2014 at 12:46am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 285 of 384
04 July 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
I came here because I noticed that you've listed Spanish as basic fluency - congratulations!!! I admit I haven't read your whole log, but I went back until page 31 now :) Fascinating to read about el camino and omg I loved the song :D I don't think I'm ever going to have such an experience, but I've heard some great things from a co-worker, and I also really enjoyed Paulo Coelho's book where he described it, so it feels like I'm kinda familiar with that to some extent :) Of course it's nowhere near close to actually being there, but I loved your vivid post(s) on that :)

And thanks for the podcast links :) As for the technical stuff, see this thread. And Lazarus can keep you from losing what you type if the forum eats it. By default it doesn't keep it saved for long but there's a setting for that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 286 of 384
04 July 2014 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
"Nómadas" rocks! That's what I mean by a podcast- long, interesting and better than television because it paints pictures with words. I've been listening to it for a few years now. :)

Awesome. I wish there was something like that for Portuguese. The DW novelas are the closest I've found.

And Stelle, I echo Serpent's sentiments. Your hard work has paid off. Congrats on basic fluency!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 287 of 384
04 July 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent and Kujochagulia - thanks for stopping by! I'm so happy with my current level of Spanish. It's nice to just be
able to *use* the language, rather than *learn* it. The Camino was a wonderful experience in and of itself, but I'm
especially grateful because it was what pushed me to start this language learning journey. I can't believe I waited 35
years to start learning a new language!!!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 288 of 384
04 July 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I put up a new blog post outlining my goals in Spanish for this year and the Super Challenge. Special bonus: a
picture of donkeys!

Spanish in 2014

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version