Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 329 of 384
25 August 2014 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I'm not actively studying Spanish, but my wife is. I'm always trying to
get her to listen to podcasts to enhance her listening comprehension (and also just for
enjoyment), but she seems resistant (or just doesn't get around to it.

I'll pass on the links to the various rtve.es series (no harm in keeping on
trying
), but do you happen to know of any which also come with transcripts?
(Preferably free).

Many thanks.

The only full-text-full-audio sites that I know are www.veintemundos.com, www.democracynow.org/es and
www.es.amnesty.org/noticias/podcast/. But I wouldn't listen to any of them just for the sheer joy of listening.
Democracy Now and Amnesty International (thanks to Iguanamon for suggesting both) are news reports, and
Veinte Mundos is a beautiful digital magazine - the audio supports the text, and not the other way around.

I really liked the Notes in Spanish intermediate and advanced podcasts. If they were still making them, I'd still be
listening. Full transcripts are available, but not free.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chrisphillips71
Groupie
United States
Joined 5017 days ago

64 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 330 of 384
25 August 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I suggest that you go to http://www.ivoox.com/. They have numerous audio books available
for free. You can then go to amazon.com and find the related print or digital copy of
the book. While this will cost a little, there are some books that are as cheap as $3.
Note: I cannot assure that the audio and book will be exactly the same, but they should
be pretty close.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 331 of 384
26 August 2014 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I finished Percy Jackson 5!

I feel so free!!!!

Overall, I liked the series. The author obviously did his research, and I loved all of the Greek gods, monsters and
heroes. That said, by the fourth book, it really started to feel like an "and then..." story. You know the kind: action
scene after action scene, "and then... and then... and then...". Also, I found the dream/vision sequences a bit
tedious. The series was first-person and Percy had a pretty strong voice. I found it a bit lazy to constantly have
him dreaming about what was happening to other people and getting "big reveals".

Still, the story was engaging. I'm really glad that I read it.

And I'm really glad that I'm finished!

in my to-read pile

I really appreciate all of the great suggestions from forum members, and I have a long list of books that I'd like to
read in the future. But right now, the book budget is set at zero and I don't have access to foreign language
books through my library, so I"m going to be reading the five books that I already have before picking up
anything new:

Los Juegos del Hambre (The Hunger Games)
Harry Potter 3
Harry Potter 4
Como Ague Para Chocolate
La Casa de los Espíritus

Since The Hunger Games is a borrowed book, I'm probably going to start it tomorrow so that I can finish and
return it.

Aqui No Hay Quien Viva

This comedy from Spain has over 90 episodes, all of them available on YouTube. It translates loosely to "No one
could live here", and it's about the inhabitants of six flats in a shared building.

episodio 1

It's funny, silly and light. We tend to watch a lot of dark, violent shows with immoral characters - Hell on Wheels,
The Walking Dead, A Game of Thrones - so it's nice to watch something upbeat in Spanish.

Don't get me wrong...the characters on ANHQV are *not* moral beacons. A lot of them are petty and gossipy. If
anything, they're caricatures of themselves. The situations that they find themselves in are absolutely ridiculous.
But it's funny and engaging. I've watched six episodes so far, and I'll keep going for as long as I'm interested.

It's interesting from a language-learner's perspective, because there are lots of different registers in the show.
The characters come from different generations, social and educational backgrounds, and they each have
their own way of speaking.

podcast on early childhood education

I just listened to an interesting podcast on Futuro Abierto about early childhood education, which isn't obligatory
in Spain (and therefore isn't free):

la educación infantil

Edited by Stelle on 26 August 2014 at 3:45am

3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 332 of 384
26 August 2014 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
¡Enhorabuena en terminar la serie de libros! Como agua para chocolate y La casa de los espíritus were two of the first books I read in Spanish, years ago. Como agua para chocolate was also one of my first films in Spanish. These are both two excellent books to start your introduction to Spanish-speaking literature. I hope you will find them as enjoyable as I did. :)

Edited by iguanamon on 26 August 2014 at 12:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 333 of 384
26 August 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Useful stuff as always! "Aqui No Hay Quien Viva" sounds like exactly the sort of show I'd enjoy and find useful. I've watched a lot of "light" comedy/drama stuff in Italian and it's been very helpful for learning everyday language even if it's not what I'd normally go for. I also listened to the Futuro Abierto podcast about the Spanish language the other day and it was interesting.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 334 of 384
03 September 2014 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
After clawing my way through Percy Jackson, I'm glad to report that I'm flying through the Hunger Games! I read
this book in English when it first came out six or seven years ago, so the story isn't new. It's the first Spanish book
that I've read in present tense, and it took me a while to feel comfortable with that.

But it's absolutely riveting! It's the first Spanish book that feels the same as an English book - I can read for the
better part of an evening without noticing the time go by. Of course, I'm reading *much* more slowly in Spanish
than I do in English, but my goal wasn't to read quickly - it was to get lost in a book. I started four days ago and
am 179 pages in.

There are a lot of words that I don't know, but almost all of them I can figure out (more or less) by context. They
aren't slowing me down or hindering my understanding of the plot, so I'm just reading on without worrying about
any unknown words. I may or may not pick a chapter to read intensively when I finish reading the book
extensively.

Overall, I'm a very happy reader!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 335 of 384
05 September 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
I have a Skype Spanish session today. I've been working with Rocio from italki, using a textbook on cultures from
Spanish-speaking countries around the world as a springboard for discussion. These sessions are both
challenging (because they're higher-order thinking and use lots of new vocabulary) and kind of easy (since I've
given up all responsibility for choosing the topics of discussion).

I'm currently working with two Skype teachers. With one, I only have informal conversations, sharing stories about
our lives and talking about whatever pops up. With the other, I'm following a formal curriculum (although we also
spend a good chunk of time just catching up and sharing before we jump into the textbook). I'm really enjoying
the balance between the two!

I've been working lately on compiling ideas for doing language exchanges or working with tutors.

Conversation cards
These are for absolute beginners. If you like to speak right from the beginning, it can sometimes be a bit
frustrating. Repetition is necessary, but it can get tedious for both parties. I use conversation cards, both as a
teacher (with my French students) and as a student (with my Tagalog teachers). Each card has a very simple
question to ask, answer and expand upon. I've included copies of the question cards in English, French, Spanish
and Tagalog. If you're a beginner to Spanish, maybe you'll find them useful!

Language exchange topics
This one is for people who are a bit more advanced, and able to carry on a conversation - even if it's just a simple
conversation. I've listed 32 themes/topics, along with a half-dozen or so related questions. I've used these topics
myself either as a student, a teacher or a language partner. The themes are only shared in English, so you'd have
to translate them yourself (or with the help of your partner). If you'd like some help translating some of them to
Spanish or French, let me know. I'd be happy to help! Just be specific about which topic you want.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 336 of 384
06 September 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
I started a course on coursera about Open Educational Resources (ie. freely available and openly licensed
educational materials). I'm interested in this topic both as a teacher-slash-student, and as a believer in free and
accessible information for all. I've decided to audit the course, which means that I'll be listening to all of the
videos, doing some of the readings, and participating in activities that interest me, but I don't plan on doing all of
the written assignments.

So far, I've listened to the week one videos. They were interesting! One of the experts was speaking in English,
which wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but the bulk of the experts were Spanish-speaking professors and
academics.

recursos abiertos (coursera)

Aside from that, I've been spending a lot of time reading Los Juegos del hambre. I'm really enjoying this book!
I've read 250 pages in less than a week. Compare that with the last Percy Jackson book, which was about 350
pages long and which took me an entire month to get through. Score one point for reading something that
actually interests me.

I listened to a very good episode of Nómadas this week:

travel to Hawaii!

That podcast is so great for feeding my travel wanderlust! I love the music, stories and snippets of local language.

I haven't done much listening today or yesterday, though. My dog injured himself quite badly yesterday afternoon
while chasing a squirrel in the backyard. We went to the vet, and it looks like he has a torn ACL. He can't put any
weight on his back leg, and at 120 pounds it makes negotiating stairs, going to the bathroom or even getting up
from the floor a major undertaking. He's in a lot of pain, panting non-stop despite painkillers. We're hoping it's a
partial tear that can heal on its own. But if it's a full tear, we may be looking at surgery. We'll go back to the vet
on Monday to see what's what. So no walks for him this weekend - which also means less Spanish for me.

I hope it's not as serious as I fear it is. It's really hard to see my dog in pain. :(

Edited by Stelle on 06 September 2014 at 9:13pm

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version