United States
Joined 4422 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 377 of 384
22 December 2014 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I need to find a Spanish show that sucks me in, so that I want to watch "just one
more" the way that I do with English shows. Can anyone recommend any really good, addictive Spanish
shows? In English, I love Dexter, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Hell on Wheels. So really
complex stories with multi-dimensional characters that leave you dying to know what happens next. In
Spanish, I've already watched (and enjoyed) Desaparecida and seasons 1 and 2 of Isabel. So something like
that would be perfect.

You might enjoy El internado. It takes place in a fictional boarding school in Spain. Two students arrive at
the school whose parents have disappeared at sea under strange circumstances. But even more strange
things start occurring at the school: macabre deaths, disappearances, secret passageways, professors who
are not who they say are. Ultimately, if you like shows with lots of plot twists and mysteries, you should enjoy
it. There are seven seasons so sometimes it can seem like there are way too many plot twists. But even
though I've taken a break from the series several times, I keep coming back to see what happens next. I just
started the sixth season. I believe you can find all of the episodes on dailymotion.com. Just search for "el
internado 1x01". They're uploaded with Greek subtitles which might be a bit distracting. You might also be
able to find them on YouTube.

Another good show with lots of plot twists is Gran hotel. Have you seen that one? I think the first season
is on Hulu. I've seen all three seasons and, although a little let down by the final episode, I would definitely
recommend it. Julio (same actor who plays one of the main characters in El internado) arrives at the hotel
intending to visit his sister who is a maid there. However, she has disappeared without a trace. Julio decides
to stay at the hotel and pretend to be a waiter in order to investigate what has happened to his sister. It's set
in the early 1900s.

I've found both of these series very addicting so hope you will too. Actually, I've never seen Desaparecida
or Isabel so I might have to check those out as soon as I finish El internado. Thanks for the
recommendation!

Edited by nj24 on 22 December 2014 at 2:30am

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 378 of 384
22 December 2014 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
El Internado is indeed a great show. I watched the first few seasons on the Antena3 website (the channel that produced the show). The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had 80-ish minute episodes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3858 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 379 of 384
22 December 2014 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Can anyone recommend any really good, addictive Spanish shows? In English, I love Dexter, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Hell on Wheels. So really complex stories with multi-dimensional characters that leave you dying to know what happens next. In Spanish, I've already watched (and enjoyed) Desaparecida and seasons 1 and 2 of Isabel. So something like that would be perfect.

Hi Stelle! Do you have any particular reason to want to watch only a natively Spanish show? If not, have you considered a dub of something that you already enjoy? I was very much against this idea for no real reason myself, other than having been really annoyed by dubs in the past, but I recently watched all seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in French and it was a really effortless language boost. Since it was a series that I both knew and enjoyed, I didn't have to focus to follow along, which meant that I could watch it when I couldn't muster the energy for something new in French, and the massive and quick repetition really helped to make a lot of passive expressions active for me. My husband is currently having a similar experience with the dubbed How I Met Your Mother.

It doesn't necessarily replace trying to find a good Spanish series, though. We still love our native French series... but there's only so much available that we feel like and have the energy for watching.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 380 of 384
24 December 2014 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
THANK YOU nj24 and James29 for recommending El Internado! I watched season 1 episode 1 and absolutely loved
it. Nice to know that there are 7 seasons waiting for me!

eydimork, I watched a season of Buffy in Spanish, and - while it did help me improve my Spanish listening
comprehension - it wasn't really addictive. The problem is that I already know Buffy inside-out. I think I've watched
the entire series a half-dozen times. So I enjoyed it, but I wasn't drawn to watching "just one more episode", the way
that I am when I binge-watch a new show. (But I *loved* the actress who voiced Willow in Spanish. She's fabulous!)
1 person has voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4381 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 381 of 384
25 December 2014 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Just wanted to wish you all the best in 2015. I'm not going to be on the Spanish TAC team next year, but I've really enjoyed following your log and your blog, so I'll continue to do so in future. I think of you every time I see some Tagalog signage (quite common in my neighborhood), including when I was getting my mammogram....:o.

Your enthusiasm, the progress you've made and your ideas and recommendations have been really great. BTW, I'm currently obsessively watching Dr. Mata on MundoFox, in case that's of any interest to you. It's set in Colombia in 1945 and has a villain you love to hate.

All the best to you in your new digs and your new job!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 382 of 384
25 December 2014 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Just wanted to wish you all the best in 2015. I'm not going to be on the Spanish TAC team next
year, but I've really enjoyed following your log and your blog, so I'll continue to do so in future. I think of you
every time I see some Tagalog signage (quite common in my neighborhood), including when I was getting my
mammogram....:o.

Your enthusiasm, the progress you've made and your ideas and recommendations have been really great. BTW,
I'm currently obsessively watching Dr. Mata on MundoFox, in case that's of any interest to you. It's set in
Colombia in 1945 and has a villain you love to hate.

All the best to you in your new digs and your new job!

Thanks for the kind words, BAnna! I will, of course, keep following your log as well. I always love reading what
you have to say. Here's to a fabulous 2015 for both of us!

(And now I want to know how to say "mammogram" in Tagalog...)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 383 of 384
25 December 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
I just finished episode 3 of El Internado, and it's *exactly* what I was looking for!

The premise so far: a 16-year-old and his 5-year-old sister find themselves in a big old boarding school in the
middle of nowhere. There's something/one lurking in the woods who may or may not be: a) a serial killer, b) an
alien, c) a werewolf, d) a mutant, or e) some as-of-yet-unknown creature. Add in a missing teacher, five missing
children from decades ago, a set of missing parents, hidden passageways, and several adults who are not what
they seem, and you have El Internado.

It's a bit silly, but it's also compelling. I actually gasped out loud at the very last scene of episode three.

Oh, and the headmaster is played by the same actor who plays Mauri in Aquí No Hay Quien Viva - y ¡qué guapo
es!

Absolutely love it so far. Highly recommended.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 384 of 384
29 December 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
¡Hola! Kumusta kayo?

Thanks for following my log this year! 2014 has been a great year - even though language learning took a backseat
from October until December. I'm excited about what 2015 will bring, and I look forward to learning more Tagalog
and Spanish, as well as reading and writing more in English.

I decided to start a new log for 2015. My old log was getting really long and unwieldy, and I decided that it's time
for a fresh start!

my TAC15 log

Here's hoping 2015 will bring great things to all of us!

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version