Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 33 of 384
21 August 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
You are awesome! My hero!

I love your dedication and focus on speaking.

A nice beginning to listening might be a dubbed series. I watched Once upon a Time and I enjoyed it a lot. I was like A2 listening at the beginning. Or I tried Pilares de la Tierra. Again dubbed but noticeably more difficult. Or something originally in Spanish? I'm looking forward to reading of your experience with listening.
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 34 of 384
22 August 2013 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
You are awesome! My hero!

I love your dedication and focus on speaking.

A nice beginning to listening might be a dubbed series. I watched Once upon a Time and I enjoyed it a lot. I was
A2 listening at the beginning. Or I tried Pilares de la Tierra. Again dubbed but noticeably more difficult. Or
something originally in Spanish? I'm looking forward to reading of your experience with listening.

Thanks! I've never been anyone's hero before! Haha!

(or should I say "jajaja", which I just learned today from my language partner)

I focus a lot on speaking because it's my end goal: I want to be able to talk to people. So I figure that it makes
sense to practice a lot!

Thanks for the TV show suggestions! My language partner also told me about "camera cafe", a Spanish show
which she says is funny and easy enough to follow.

Edited by Stelle on 22 August 2013 at 4:00am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4215 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 35 of 384
22 August 2013 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
I just read your whole log and looked at your website - it was really interesting! I like how you break your study time
into specific skills. I think i'll have to adopt a similar game plan, it would help me stay focused throughout the day.

You mentioned that you used to (still do?) teach languages - which ones?

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 36 of 384
22 August 2013 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
I just read your whole log and looked at your website - it was really interesting! I like how you
break your study time
into specific skills. I think i'll have to adopt a similar game plan, it would help me stay focused throughout the
day.

You mentioned that you used to (still do?) teach languages - which ones?

Hi Emily! I'm glad you found it interesting...because I was thinking that my log was kind of dull. Ha! But yes, my
language learning has gotten much easier and much more fun since I broke it down into five categories.

I teach French. I've been teaching for 10 years now - French immersion for 8 years, and adults for the past two
years. I also dabble in online tutoring - but that's just so that I can take as many Spanish lessons as I want
without paying for them out of pocket. ;) I've also taught English, but I have to admit that I much prefer teaching
French.

You're Canadian, right? Did you learn your French in school as a child, or as an adult?

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 37 of 384
22 August 2013 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
A few days ago I finished Despereaux, and I've really missed my 20 minutes of reading for pleasure at the end of
the day. I ordered the first three Harry Potter books, but they won't get here until next week.

I decided to start over with Despereaux, this time reading intensively rather than extensively.

The first time I read the novel, I just read it, guessing words from context. I only looked up a word if it kept
popping up and it was leading to a breakdown in understanding. This time, I'm focusing on one chapter at a
time, reading it for much deeper understanding. Yesterday, in a little over 20 minutes, I read one chapter – about
3 pages – four times.

- first read: read through without stopping. In the ideal world, I'd add an audiobook to this, so that on my first
read, I could listen to a native speaker. However as far as I can tell, there's no Spanish audiobook for Despereaux.
Too bad.

- second read: look up all of the words, expressions and phrases I couldn't quite understand. There were
surprisingly few! I also confirmed meaning on several words that I'd guessed from context. I used both a French
version of the same book and – when I needed confirmation – Google Translate.

- third read: read out loud, recording my voice. This was trickier than I'd expected. In my head, I pronounce every
word beautifully. Out loud, I stumble often. I think that there's definitely value in reading aloud to work on my
oral fluency and pronunciation.

- fourth read: read along while listening to my recording. I marked a few passages where I stumbled a lot, and
then practiced reading those sentences again when I was done.

While this might sound kind of boring, I actually really enjoyed it! I love the language in Despereaux, and I think
that the translator did a beautiful job (well, as far as this Spanish beginner can tell, anyway). I'm not sure that I
could read a book intensively like this if it weren't filled with beautiful language.

Once Harry Potter shows up in my mailbox, I'll read that series extensively (I've ordered the first 3 books). But I
think I'll continue with the intensive reading of Despereaux – in addition to extensive reading, rather than instead
of it. Whether or not I'll make it through all 50-some chapters using this approach remains to be seen. I figure I'll
do it until it stops being fun.

Total minutes for yesterday: 172 minutes

talk to someone: 60 minutes
- 2 30-minute Skype conversations with language partners

listen to something: 31 minutes
- Notes in Spanish: 3 intermediate podcasts

read something: 29 minutes
- veintemundos article (which I didn't really enjoy, so I only read it once while listening to the audio)
- Chapter 1 of Despereaux

write something: 10 minutes
- translating sentences using past preterite

practice vocabulary: 42 minutes
- anki
- duolingo (I'm now 3/4 of the way through the skill tree, and I have to say that the sentences are getting odder
and odder - not at all normal context. Today, for instance, I had to translate "These potatoes belong to others".
Oh. OK.)

Edited by Stelle on 22 August 2013 at 1:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
      Diglot
      Canada
      Joined 4215 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
      Speaks: English*, French
      Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 38 of 384
      22 August 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
      Stelle wrote:

You're Canadian, right? Did you learn your French in school as a child, or as an adult?

Actually, i'm still in school! I'm going into grade 12 french immersion. Plus i did a three month exchange to quebec
      last year that really helped boost my skills.

Stelle wrote:
      - duolingo (I'm now 3/4 of the way through the skill tree, and I have to say that the sentences are
      getting odder
      and odder - not at all normal context. Today, for instance, I had to translate "These potatoes belong to others".
      Oh. OK.)

I use duolingo too, and i've noticed the same as i advance up the skill tree! It starts some funny discussions, but
      isn't so great for learning...

Stelle
      Bilingual Triglot
      Canada
      tobefluent.com
      Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 39 of 384
      23 August 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
      Emily96 wrote:
      Actually, i'm still in school! I'm going into grade 12 french immersion. Plus i did a three month
      exchange to quebec
      last year that really helped boost my skills.

Ah, I did that thing that I do where I assume everyone online is exactly the same age as me. Ha! It's great that you're
      getting such a head start on languages! I wish that I'd started learning a third language in high school...

Stelle
      Bilingual Triglot
      Canada
      tobefluent.com
      Joined 3931 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 40 of 384
      23 August 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
      I really struggled with one of my Skype conversations yesterday. I don't know why...I just couldn't seem to string
      a sentence together properly! It was really frustrating. Oh well, today is a new day!

Total for yesterday: 161 minutes

talk to someone: 65 minutes
      - Skype language exchanges

listen to something: 22 minutes
      - Notes in Spanish: 2 intermediate podcasts

read something: 21 minutes
      - Despereaux (intensive reading)

write something: 37 minutes
      - Practice Makes Perfect verbs (all of the irregular verbs in the preterite are tricky!)

practice vocabulary: 16 minutes
      - anki

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version