tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 57 of 384
01 September 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Don't give up. When I began watching in Spanish, I didn't even have the Spanish subtitles or
any other(didn't find them and I was too lazy to dig deeper) and I felt quite lost at the beginning. I was getting
just the very basic gist and usually thanks to the video. After just a few episodes, it became much better. And at
the end of season 1, I understood approximately 95% and I dare say my Spanish isn't better than yours, especially
my active skills suck and you speak much better! So, don't give up.

And perhaps you should consider the Spanish subtitles soon. The English ones are good as the real beginning
but they can easily draw too much of your attention and they take away a lot of the immersion. And the
immersion is really awesome, I caught myself thinking in Spanish a bit longer and longer after each episode!

Btw what kind of show is Missing? Solving crimes? Mysteries? Drama?

I'd actually much prefer Spanish subtitles! But the show is online, on a site called "Drama Fever". There's no
option to switch the subtitles off, or to change the language. I'm kind of compulsive about reading
subtitles...even if I'm watching an English or French movie with subtitles, I read every word. Ha! Yesterday I tried
to quickly glance at the words and then focus on what the people were saying, so I do think that I'll start catching
more and more.

Missing is a crime/drama. An 18-year-old girl goes missing on her 18th birthday, and her family, friends and
police are all trying to find her. So far it's very good!
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 58 of 384
01 September 2013 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
So I've discovered that - while I can't choose Spanish subtitles on Drama Fever - I can turn the subtitles off
altogether. I think I'm going to aim for one or two episodes of Desaparecida per week, each of which I'll watch twice.
The first time, i'll watch it with English subtitles. Then I'll watch it again without subtitles.

I think that watching real TV will have a *huge* impact on my listening comprehension skills.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 59 of 384
01 September 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I trully admire your dedication to reusing material right away. I am usually unable to just watch something twice in a row. I need to balance it by devouring more material.

I'm sure you will have great results. And Desaparecida sounds really interesting, thanks for the tip!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 60 of 384
02 September 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I trully admire your dedication to reusing material right away. I am usually unable to just watch
something twice in a row. I need to balance it by devouring more material.

I'm sure you will have great results. And Desaparecida sounds really interesting, thanks for the tip!

I'm used to watching the early episodes of TV shows twice. Why? Because I tend to binge watch TV series, and my
husband always claims that he doesn't want to watch with me. And then, four or five episodes in, he sits down next
to me and starts asking a million questions - which is beyond annoying, so we end up starting over at the beginning
again. Ha!

I'm kind of hoping that four or five episodes into Desparecida, I can stop double-watching and just watch the
episodes once without subtitles. We'll see if I progress quickly enough for that!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 61 of 384
02 September 2013 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Tonight I started reading Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate for the second time. While I spent a good chunk of
time on Harry Potter yesterday, it's quite difficult for me. I read the book in English over a decade ago, so I have
to re-read excerpts in English before I can read it in Spanish. Even then, it requires a lot of concentration.

So reading Harry Potter feels more like intensive reading than extensive reading.

I've spent most of my adult life teaching little kids to read, so I know that the best way to improve as a reader is
to read material that's just a little bit easy. Harry Potter isn't just a little bit easy right now - it's just a little bit
hard. Too hard for pleasure reading 15 minutes before bed. So I think that I'm going to reread Charlie and the
Chocolate Factory for now as my 15 minutes of easy reading, and maybe pick up a few more Roald Dahl books if I
can.

For intensive reading, which I tend to do a bit earlier in the day, I'm going to work on either Despereaux (re-
reading a chapter 4 times with a variety of different purposes - I explained it a few posts up), Harry Potter
(tandem reading the English and the Spanish book - not writing vocab etc, but making sure that I understand), or
an article from veintemundos.com.

total for today: 206 minutes

talk to someone: 55 minutes
- Skype session

listen to something: 80 minutes
- episode 2 of Desaparecida (with English subtitles - over the next few days, I'll rewatch episodes one and two
without any subtitles. What a great show! I have to exercise self-control and not binge-watch, since I'll get tired
and focus too much on the subtitles. But I can't wait to find out what happens next...)
- episode 35 of Destinos

read something: 34 minutes
- 1 chapter of Despereaux (intensive reading)
- 15 minutes extensive reading of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (second time reading it)

write something: 23 minutes
- Practice Makes Perfect - verbs

practice vocabulary: 14 minutes
- Anki

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 62 of 384
03 September 2013 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Total for today: 206 minutes

talk to someone: 60 minutes
- Skype conversation

listen to something: 49 minutes
- 1 Notes in Spanish advanced podcast
- singing along twice to a new song
- 30 minutes of episode 1 of Desparecida without subtitles - even though I'm watching the episode for the
second time, it's TRICKY. 30 minutes was my saturation point - I was still enjoying it, but I was tired. I'll watch
the second part of episode 1 tomorrow.

read something: 30 minutes
- Harry Potter - I'm enjoying the tandem reading. It's getting easier. I still need something for "easy reading",
though. I'm not terribly excited by rereading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I've ordered 2 more Roald Dahl
books from Amazon, so - once they get here - I'm hoping that they'll carry me through to the point where I can
read the Harry Potter series extensively (rather than intensively).

write something: 27 minutes
- Practice Makes Perfect

practice vocabulary: 40 minutes
- anki decks
- reviewing the past week's Skype conversations and inputting vocab in anki

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 63 of 384
03 September 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:

I'm used to watching the early episodes of TV shows twice. Why? Because I tend to binge watch TV series, and my husband always claims that he doesn't want to watch with me. And then, four or five episodes in, he sits down next to me and starts asking a million questions - which is beyond annoying, so we end up starting over at the beginning again. Ha!

I am usually in your husbands position. :-D (my record was starting Heroes one season late) But sometimes, my beloved one doesn't rewatch with me. Depends on the TV show.

Easier reading than Harry Potter. Hmm. I like the French translation of the True Blood books so if the Spanish one is of similar quality, it might be what you need (unless you hate romantic vampire stories of course. But True Blood is probably one of the best ones, since there is enough blood :-) ) There isn't that much of special fantasy vocabulary compared to HP. The story is quite fun and it is very light reading.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 64 of 384
03 September 2013 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Easier reading than Harry Potter. Hmm. I like the French translation of the True Blood books so
if the Spanish one is of similar quality, it might be what you need (unless you hate romantic vampire stories of
course. But True Blood is probably one of the best ones, since there is enough blood :-) ) There isn't that much of
special fantasy vocabulary compared to HP. The story is quite fun and it is very light reading.

Oooooh...good idea! Those are "guilty pleasure" books for me. If I read them in Spanish instead of in English,
then I'm "studying"! Love it!

;)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version