thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4145 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 3
27 July 2013 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Baktun, soap opera in Mayan language

As Mexico isn't particularly respectful of its native languages (you'd be hard pressed to learn a Mayan language, Mixtec, Nahuatl or any of the other aboriginal tongues of Mexico, outside their respective communities), I was overjoyed to hear this. Sadly, it seems this will only be shown on Yucatan state TV, meaning I won't get to see it where I live, but with some luck, it'll find its way online for anybody who might be interested in learning Mayan!
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6470 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 3
27 July 2013 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Cool! If I were to learn a mayan language, though, I would want to learn Ch'olan one because they're closer to the
classical maya inscriptions.

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4562 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 3 of 3
27 July 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
That's great! I spent some time in a Mayan-speaking community in Mexico and love the language and culture, but gave up on trying to keep up with what I had learned due to lack of resources and motivation. Things like this make me reconsider. Now to figure out how to watch it...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version