Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 2
29 July 2013 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
I had some questions regarding the 1996 Russian film Кавказский пленник or Prisoner of the Mountains.
Particularly some linguistic questions regarding the languages that were being spoken.

Obviously the Russian soldiers spoke with their captors in Russian and the captors spoke to them in
Russian. But the character Abdul and the mountain villagers...were they speaking in Chechen? What about
the guy with the gun that came in the middle of the film and asked the prisoners to find the mines? IMDB
and other sources list that Russian, Chechen, Turkish, and Georgian are spoke in the film. I am only
familiar with Russian but cannot identify any of the other languages and was hoping someone could help
me identify them.

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 2 of 2
02 August 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
For anyone interested, I've come to realize that Abdul and his people are speaking Chechen (or at least to
my best analysis). I am curious to see where the Turkish and Georgian are spoken and what ethnic group
the guys in camouflage belonged to. Also, it is my understanding that the film was shot in an aul in
Dagestan. I was further wondering if Chechen villages as such were common in the mountains of
Dagestan? This is much more of a cultural discussion but am hoping some other movie enthusiast can
come across this thread. It was a great film that inspired me to learn more about the caucuses!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version