Joined 5288 days ago

85 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cantonese

Message 1 of 18
29 July 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
First of all, this is my return from quite a bit of a hiatus, so greetings, my
linguistically inclined friends!!!

I've noticed that over the years there's been quite a bit of discussion on this site
about losing (or not) the languages you've learned, either through disuse or other
means, and the process by which this happens.

Recently, the thought occurred to me: is it possible to unlearn or forget one's mother
tongue in the same manner? Upon initial examination of this question, it seems unlikely
or impossible. One naturally thinks in one's own language, so even if one were to be
immersed in a second language for the vast majority of one's lifetime (let's say an
English speaker moves to a monolingual Spanish-speaking community at an early age), one
would continue to think in the mother tongue despite speaking the L2 all day, every
day, indefinitely.

On the other side of the argument, however, I offer up pieces of evidence such as the
Kennedy twins, who spoke a rudimentary invented language comprised of bits of their
grandmother's German and parents' English until the age of eight (cryptophasia). At
this point they were taught to speak English, and pressured by their father to forget
their unique, invented language, and there is no record of them having used it after
this point. In addition, I offer the recurring case of the child being raised by
parents in one language, and then going out into society and having to learn another
language (an American family raising their child in Vietnamese, for example), and
thenceforth ceasing to use their parents' native language, thought whether this is
through refusal to use the language or actually losing the ability to do so is
ambiguous.

Please note that I'm not on either side here: I just wanted to put this topic up for
discussion. Is it possible to forget one's native tongue under certain circumstances?
If so, what circumstances? If not, why not?
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4042 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 18
29 July 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
I watched a TV show here in Finland about finding relatives long lost. There was a girl who was adopted to Finland at the age of six or something. Before that all she knew was Russian, but twenty years later she only knew Finnish and possibly English, but not a word of Russian. When they found her long lost older sisters they had a Russian-Finnish interpreter at the meeting.

What comes to thinking, it's been theorized that people don't think in any language, but images and concepts, unless you really do your best to think in some language. It seems like thinking in a language because we tend to translate the concepts to the ones that correspond them in our native language. I think it's an interesting theory.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 18
29 July 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Different people use language to different degrees in their thinking. I think there are plenty of examples of people losing their native language, but age makes a huge difference. See Wikipedia article here. It's interesting to read about the Korean children who emigrated to France at 3-10 years of age, and years later showed no sign, even in brain scans, of responding differently to Korean than to Japanese or Polish. It was completely gone from their brains. On the other hand, people who had stopped using their native language after puberty and not used it for decades still compared favorably to advanced L2 speakers.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jake Day
United States
Joined 4818 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 18
30 July 2013 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
I once heard of a case like this in fiction; in Alex Haley's Roots, Kunta Kinte seemed to lose the ability to think
in his native tongue after living as a slave in the Southern US for years.

Edited by Jake Day on 30 July 2013 at 5:11am

ribas
Pentaglot
Brazil
blogmarceloribas.blo
Joined 5649 days ago

37 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French, German
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 5 of 18
30 July 2013 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
My wife only spoke German before going to school. She was then forced to switch to Portuguese, even at
home. Now she can only undertand a little and speaks almost no German.

2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 18
30 July 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Learning & unlearning languages depends on how much a language is in use and how much effort you
put into using it. Just thinking about your mother tongue when you move to a new country you may
eventually forget your first language. You need to be using the language in a social setting interacting
with people who speaks the same language. If not you need to get into watching videos, listening to
radio broadcasts, reading books of a specific language to keep it active.

1 thing I do find is that there are people in the Chinese community who speaks Cantonese / Mandarin
fluently as a mother-tongue but not living in Asia they retain a high fluency of the spoken language but
many tend to lose the written characters overtime... simply because Chinese does not go by an alphabet
and people used to memorize characters 1 at a time. Nowadays when people get into social media,
picking up Chinese characters is much easier with computer dictionaries. Again you have to make the
effort of using the language regularly.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5197 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 7 of 18
30 July 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
This thread reminded me of Alexander Selkirk, an Scottish castaway on a island in the Pacific and the alleged inspiration for Defoe's Robinson Crusoe.

He was rescued after four years alone (and regular reading of the Bible in English) and one of the sailors who rescued him wrote : "At his first coming on board us, he had so much forgot his Language for want of Use, that we could scarce understand him, for he seem'd to speak his words by halves" (Woodes Rogers, A Cruising Voyage round the World).

Edited by akkadboy on 30 July 2013 at 9:56am

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4889 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 8 of 18
30 July 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
It seems like international adoption has long proven that people can and do forget their native languages. Of course in international adoption, the only examples I have ever heard of were of children.

Adults losing their first tongue is a much more interesting subject. I do not know whether or not they can lose their first language entirely, but the idea is tantalizing.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version